FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Silly checked bag policy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1974012-silly-checked-bag-policy.html)

rucksack Jun 14, 2019 12:35 pm

Silly checked bag policy

Twice recently I had to check a large bag, and so I figured I might as well check my carry-on duffle as well. On both occasions I was told this would be $40 since it would count as a second checked bag. It seems counterproductive to charge for a carry-on sized bag since it could be gate checked for free (and furthermore agents are constantly begging passengers to gate check bags).

Cyberian Jun 14, 2019 1:56 pm

Don't GM & higher get 2 @ 70#?

BenA Jun 14, 2019 1:58 pm

Succinctly, if they allowed this at the checkin counter, people would check in their carryon and then still bring a carryon through security. Also, each checked bag counts against the payload for the flight, reducing the cargo that can be carried. And, of course, checked bag fees are highly profitable, and airlines know passengers are willing to pay for the convenience.

If you are happy to be separated from your carryon, as you indicate, most agents will be happy to gate check it for you if the flight is full. If it isn’t, though, you may be expected to carry it onboard.

SJC ORD LDR Jun 14, 2019 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Cyberian (Post 31203428)
Don't GM & higher get 2 @ 70#?

PM/DM get 3 @ 70#

DCP2016 Jun 14, 2019 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by BenA (Post 31203434)

If you are happy to be separated from your carryon, as you indicate, most agents will be happy to gate check it for you if the flight is full. If it isn’t, though, you may be expected to carry it onboard.

I haven't been on a flight yet where I was denied checking my carry-on, even if they never made an announcement about it.

WidgetPlanes Jun 15, 2019 3:46 am

Delta will actually start doing exactly what you asked! Starting on a limited basis: if you are the only traveler on your PNR, are already indicated as checking a bag, and one of your flights is booked to the point where agents would have to solicit gate checked bags from passengers anyway - you’ll be able to check that gatecheck bag at the ticket counter. Should be a smart way to limit the amount of gate checked bags required and help speed up security with less bags to go through the machines.

MSPeconomist Jun 15, 2019 8:36 am

Originally Posted by WidgetPlanes (Post 31204783)
Delta will actually start doing exactly what you asked! Starting on a limited basis: if you are the only traveler on your PNR, are already indicated as checking a bag, and one of your flights is booked to the point where agents would have to solicit gate checked bags from passengers anyway - you’ll be able to check that gatecheck bag at the ticket counter. Should be a smart way to limit the amount of gate checked bags required and help speed up security with less bags to go through the machines.

Welcome to FT.

rucksack Jun 15, 2019 9:39 am

Originally Posted by WidgetPlanes (Post 31204783)

I guess I’m not the only one who thought it was silly :)

Any idea when this change takes effect?

Often1 Jun 15, 2019 10:03 am

It's not a silly policy in general at all.

In OP's case we have no idea whether the flight was full and thus whether DL would likely have solicited carry-ons at the gate.

The problem here, it's one which not many will bother with, is that the person who currently has 3 items and checks 1, will bring 4 items and check 2. Given that most people don't check bags in the first place and a dwindling number check more than one, this isn't likely to change things much.

rucksack Jun 15, 2019 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31205496)
It's not a silly policy in general at all.

In OP's case we have no idea whether the flight was full and thus whether DL would likely have solicited carry-ons at the gate.

The problem here, it's one which not many will bother with, is that the person who currently has 3 items and checks 1, will bring 4 items and check 2. Given that most people don't check bags in the first place and a dwindling number check more than one, this isn't likely to change things much.

Both flights ended up being full and required bags to be gate checked (and one of them was on an ERJ, so it was all but guaranteed that some bags would need to be checked).

I can see the potential for abuse if any carry-on sized bag could be checked at the ticket counter. But I think that potential for abuse is lessened a lot of someone is already paying (or getting the fee waived due to status) to check a bag, and then simply wants to add a carry-on on top of that. Apparently Delta agrees.

WidgetPlanes Jun 15, 2019 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31205270)
Welcome to FT.

Long time lurker....blah blah ;-)

Originally Posted by rucksack (Post 31205434)

I guess I’m not the only one who thought it was silly :)

Any idea when this change takes effect?

Yes! If I remember correctly, they told us Alaska already does something similar and they’ve received positive feedback from it. It’s one of those ideas that just makes sense. Should be live with the next release of the software gate agents/ticketing agents use by the end of June - (I think)!

OHDL1 Jun 15, 2019 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by WidgetPlanes (Post 31206151)
Long time lurker....blah blah ;-)

Yes! If I remember correctly, they told us Alaska already does something similar and they’ve received positive feedback from it. It’s one of those ideas that just makes sense. Should be live with the next release of the software gate agents/ticketing agents use by the end of June - (I think)!

"Should" already be active....

Ticket counter only....no bag drop/Curbside
Have to have at least one checked bag.
Has to be carry on size and not overweight.
Single party PNR (for some reason)
Flight has to be/will be soliciting for gate checked bags.

WidgetPlanes Jun 15, 2019 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by OHDL1 (Post 31206298)
"Should" already be active....

Ticket counter only....no bag drop/Curbside
Have to have at least one checked bag.
Has to be carry on size and not overweight.
Single party PNR (for some reason)
Flight has to be/will be soliciting for gate checked bags.

Already got you covered with the details above ;) Good on pointing out that SkyCap can’t do it yet if you like to use them.

Hmmm thought it was scheduled for SNAPP 12.5 which I don’t think is out yet. Could be wrong though!

WidgetPlanes Jun 19, 2019 4:08 pm

July 2nd is the official start!

Gig103 Jun 19, 2019 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by WidgetPlanes (Post 31220159)
July 2nd is the official start!

That's pretty cool. I read on the BA forum that they have a similar option out of Heathrow - for full flights, 'hand baggage only' passengers can check in their carry-on sized bag and only board with their personal item. I think it's clever.