Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Reserve Card Spend

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Amex Reserve Card Spend

Anyone have any brilliant, legal ideas on how to boost spend on Amex Reserve card to hit the "next" $30,000 spend level as despite charging almost all I can, looks like I will come up a bit short.

I had considered maybe buying a fully refundable ticket, then next year cancelling, but am guessing that would fall under the "not legal" category...and might get me in some hot water...

All suggestions welcome!
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta - GM
Do you do any of your recurring utility bills as a direct charge to you card. I charge my Dish network, and my cell phone bill via the American express. Also I can now charge by car insurance via the AE card as well.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
There is a whole forum on this topic:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...-spending-719/
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Smaller potatoes; but we do a fair amount of paying for group dinners/outings and having our friends (who we trust) pay us back by Venmo/PayPal/etc. Across a full year probably adds $2k-$3k in spend we otherwise wouldn't have. Also makes life much easier for the server/business we're at.

If you really need to get across the finish line at year-end, lots of utilities, recurring bills, etc. will let you overpay and then you just have a credit to draw from your your next few bills.
defrosted likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:20 am

How short? If I need a couple K I use plastiq and send my power company 2k. It has a few percent fee so I inly do it to earn a bonus.

My power company does not take credit cards. On my power bill I run a negative balance for a while. FL summer though 300-400 a month is normal.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
You can pre-pay the IRS at a transaction cost of 1.8% Simple, and it is a better deal than many realize as you are earning new miles, not just pulling from next year.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
You can do Kiva loans (kiva.org), but make sure you do some research and understand what you're doing. Overpaying federal tax estimates and getting the money back as a refund next year might be easier though (pay1040.com is what I use).
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:10 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Healthywages look into It you can get like a 10 return on 60 dollars every month for doing 10k steps a day
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:20 pm

this is the thread I was looking for. thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
Venmo a spouse/relative/friend using your amex, and have them transfer the cash back to you.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Put some authorized users on your account (that you trust) and have them give you a check each month for their charges. It'll cost you $175 per user for the annual fee, but done properly it should get you to where you need to be.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Put some authorized users on your account (that you trust) and have them give you a check each month for their charges. It'll cost you $175 per user for the annual fee, but done properly it should get you to where you need to be.
One clarification: A Reserve account can have two types of additional authorized users. If the authorized user gets an Amex DL Plat card, the additional annual fee is $0/year. If the authorized user gets a Reserve card, then the annual fee is $175/year. An authorized user holding their own Reserve card does get the benefit of complimentary SkyClub access, while the authorized user holding a DL Plat card does not.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:51 am

Use the card at Kroger and buy Delta Gift Cards for future use.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Originally Posted by Speech99
Use the card at Kroger and buy Delta Gift Cards for future use.
plus you get lots of fuel points
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Eddie98
plus you get lots of fuel points
But I don’t think Gift Card purchases will get the bonus SkyMiles a Reserve card gets for ticket purchase.

If you’re close to meeting the next threshold, consider paying normal expenses in advance: December for January.

Additional cardholders— IF you feel you will get reimbursed timely.

The topic of Manufactured Spending with thread referenced above was mind-boggling to realize that practice has been made into a science. But it’s not without risk, including banishment from financial institutions that fear illegal money laundering activity. So read the very long discussions carefully.

Oh, and if you’re NOT CLOSE to the next threshold, does it really make sense to invent ways to spend $30k just for 15,000 MQM’s??? A long paid D1 flight will earn that many for far less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.