Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any loyal Delta flyers in Chicago??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Hertz Presidents Circle
Any loyal Delta flyers in Chicago??

I live in ATL, and am a very loyal Delta flyer but am considering a move to Chicago. I know that United and American are both big at ORD and SW at MDW. I love Delta because of their on-time performance, the great customer service, new fleet, sky clubs, etc.

I wouldn’t choose to fly SW as a Chicago local because of the lack of lounges, nice seats and and upgrades. I have heard very mixed things about both AA and UA in ORD in terms of on-time performance, customer service, and lounges. I know that Delta flies out of both ORD and MDW, but they only go to about 9 cities nonstop. Is there anyone that is a loyal Delta flyer that lives in Chicago and chooses to connect each time instead of flying UA or AA? I know I’d always be connecting, but DL has a much better on-time performance over UA or AA. Any tips or stories are appreciated!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:03 pm

I travel on DL to Chicago frequently. I like MDW’s location but ORD has a Sky Club lounge.
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I travel on DL to Chicago frequently. I like MDW’s location but ORD has a Sky Club lounge.
Are you normally flying to CHI from a DL hub or connecting?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
DL at ORD is going to eventually move from their current T2 gates to the about-to-be remodeled T5. Until then, DL's current T2 gates (and SkyClub) are pretty tight. I don't like the ORD SkyClub because it seems always too crowded when I visit (which admittedly isn't that often). The T2 location is very convenient for public transport (Blue Line), T5 not so much.

Airport site describing the T5 plans:
https://www.ord21.com/About/Pages/Happening-Now.aspx
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Not in Chicago, but in a similar situation in which I take a Delta connecting flight over anyone else's direct flight.

My normal destination the only direct is Southwest, but even when UA OR AA is direct I would still choose Delta.

Not to mention connecting flights get me segments, that may not be important to you, but that is how I make status.

On time with a connection may add a few hours, but the other guys end up being late so you lose the time anyway.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by defrosted
Not in Chicago, but in a similar situation in which I take a Delta connecting flight over anyone else's direct flight.

My normal destination the only direct is Southwest, but even when UA OR AA is direct I would still choose Delta.

Not to mention connecting flights get me segments, that may not be important to you, but that is how I make status.

On time with a connection may add a few hours, but the other guys end up being late so you lose the time anyway.
I am trying to keep my status on DL. I’ve never connected on them as living in ATL I haven’t needed to. If you connect both ways on a DL flight, paid in $$, do you get 4 MQS’s?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Traveler_boy_25

I am trying to keep my status on DL. I’ve never connected on them as living in ATL I haven’t needed to. If you connect both ways on a DL flight, paid in $$, do you get 4 MQS’s?
Yes.

Assuming you either have the AMEX waiver you'd need 15 Round trips a year for GM and 23 for PM. If, because of last minute business travel, you make the MQD, you'd need 32 for DM.

The only sad thing is that excess MQS don't roll over.

Last edited by SuperG1955; Jun 13, 2019 at 8:03 pm
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
I lived in Atlanta for years travelling extensively on Delta rarely making a connection, but then moved to Boston. While the decision was not as complicated as yours given Boston was not really a hub for any airline at the time (I realize that has changed somewhat recently), I decided to stick with Delta. I can say it has worked out well, and 99% of the time I still choose a connecting flight on Delta even if other airlines have direct flights. I have just gotten used to the fact that I am generally going to have a connection to get where I am going, but sometimes this isn't actually that big of a deal as there always seems to be several options and times to get me where I want with lots of connections via other hubs (ATL, MSP, DTW, LGA). I also sometimes use the stand-by option to get on earlier connections when I can to minimize layover times and get to my destination faster. Delta seems to have an extensive network with lots of options in the event of delays or cancellations and I have personally found they do a really good job of getting you to your destination even in the worst of situations. Also, it sounds like you have access to the sky clubs, which I personally think helps with all the layovers and connections.
defrosted likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Traveler_boy_25
I know that Delta flies out of both ORD and MDW, but they only go to about 9 cities nonstop. Is there anyone that is a loyal Delta flyer that lives in Chicago and chooses to connect each time instead of flying UA or AA?
I've lived in Chicago a few years and use DL a fair amount. I like ORD-JFK-XXX for Europe; I avoid UA and AA longhaul because of operational and service-culture deficiencies.

The good news is that DL is ramping up in Chicago with service to more destinations, will open a giant SkyClub in T5 when they move over there, and the ground staff around here is great. ORD in particularly is weather-delay-prone but the operation shoots itself in the foot a lot less often than UA/AA.

The bad news, beyond the connections you will always have to make, is that T5 accessibility is poor. You can't walk there from the Blue Line, you have to climb several stories and take the elevated people-mover shuttle, so add 15 minutes to airport transit time coming and going. Sadly most carriers at ORD with little or no O/D traffic will be outrighted to T5 as the ORD renovation proceeds, leaving the convenient central complex to AA, UA, and overseas airlines.

You were pretty dismissive of Southwest in your OP but I urge you to reconsider. Frequent nonstop service to many destinations from MDW (though admittedly the cancel rate has run high lately owing to the Max thing and maybe other factors, but that won't last). I use WN all the time for short flights out of MDW. And I can get from my place downtown to my gate at Midway in less than an hour via the Orange Line; I will never get from home to T5/ORD so quickly.

Last edited by BearX220; Jun 14, 2019 at 8:56 am
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
The club at ORD is not worth the additional hassle of ORD in general. It's barely bigger than the old SkyCloset at ATL B10 and usually has twice as many people as seats.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I have lived in Chicago for 12 years and have remained loyal to DL (and a DM every year since the level launched). With most things in life, there are pluses and minuses and I do use AA with enough frequency to make EXP on them as well. I fly AA under duress because there are times when I just need to get where I am going. My thoughts on DL in Chicago:

1. DL is the ONLY major carrier to serve both ORD and MDW. I live in the city between the two so this is very helpful to give me options.

2. DL only flies to hubs and focus cities from Chicago...this means connections. That said, during IRROPS I can often, and more reliably, get to where I am going faster on DL even with a connection than I can on AA or UA. As of right now you can access BOS, LGA, JFK, RDU, ATL, CVG, DTW, MSP, SLC and SEA non-stop on DL. If you are traveling internationally, ST partners can get you to nearly every one of their hubs in Europe, Asia and Central America from ORD non-stop.

3. The SkyClub at ORD can get crowded but, until the new one opens in T5 in 2022, it has a self-service bar.

4. Terminal 2 in ORD where DL will live until 2022 is a congested DUMP. That said, the security lines are often very fast.

Sometimes its a bit more of a hassle to make a connection to get where I am going, but the overall DL experience is so much better than that on AA, UA and WN (based on what I value) that I do it happily most days.

P.S. You are going to LOVE Chicago, but bring a warm coat. It gets very cold here.

5. UGs to the hubs are not hard to snag if you are a DM. My partner is GM and he almost never scores an UG, but I think that is unusual.
defrosted and BearX220 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I did ORD-SLC-SJC for a couple years and it wasn't bad. Back in those days, DL was in the L concourse, which was pretty nice (their current location is completely ghetto). The upgrades were plentiful even as an FO and GM back in those days. Plus, I was only delayed a couple times in the two year period of flying into and out of ORD.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I dread work trips to ORD because the DL gates are a complete dump. Someone on the DL thread complained recently about ATL D concourse, they've obviously never been to the garbage pile that's ORD T2. The SkyClub is way too small. If there's a weather issue good luck.

It's not really DL's fault, it's the facility they have to work with, but wholly cow, I wouldn't want to deal with that as frequently as I travel.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Not Chicago, but like defrosted, I decided that connecting services with DL were worth it over AA nonstop services - in my case out of PHX. I was happy with the transition and got myself an Amex Platinum card so I could use the Skyclubs.
defrosted likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I just moved from CHI to RDU. For the two years before the move, I was Plat or Gold (due to a medical absence) on DL. Before that, I had been EXP on AA, but when AA changed their upgrade prioritization to emphasize spend over time of purchase, I walked away because my upgrade rate would have been cut in third, and when AA started trimming C+/MCE capacity which is the thing I value most.

I like DL at ORD/MDW because there is a preponderance of CR9/E75 which are easy upgrades to C+ and frequently to F. I'd typically fly DL outbound as long as I could avoid ATL and get at least a 50 minute connection at MSP/DTW. Return it would depend on time of day as to whether I tried to fly back on DL (usually on the last ATL flight), or took a nonstop back on WN (short flights) or AA (longer flights). Europe, I'd fly the CR9 to JFK and connect, since I usually can't afford AF/KL J for leisure travel.

ORD T2 is easy, and MDW gates A5/A7/A9/A10 are even easier although there's no lounge. If you are driving to O'Hare, I happen to like PreFlight Airport Parking because the ORD lots are a disaster unless your employer is willing to pay $40+/day for the main garage (mine is not).

I think that either WN A-List or BA Silver (similar to AA Plat but easier to get with paid F fares, no upgrades but Flagship Lounge) is the proper companion to DL Plat at ORD/MDW. BA Silver basically takes 13 paid F segments on AA and 4 cheap segments on BA/IB. WN A-List is 25 paid one-ways, and you should never bother chanigng planes on WN if you are at MDW. Which one you pick is a matter of your flying patterns, especially your leisure ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.