Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL peeps need some help with international arrival question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum

I have a return flight from BCN - ATL - MSY, but I now need to travel to Raleigh-Durham instead of New Orleans. The cost to change the flight is almost double what I paid. I plan to purchase a one-way ticket from ATL to RDU, but still fly the BCN- ATL segment. So my question is, when I go through customs and immigration in ATL, I pick up my checked luggage, correct? If so, if I rip off the MSY tag, will there be a desk there to recheck the bag into RDU?

Is this doable or should I just plan to have carry-on? I have 90 minutes in ATL to make the new flight.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:33 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
It depends on whether your incoming plane comes into E or F. If it comes into F you can grab your bag and walk out of the airport. If it comes into E you can't do this.

Some similar threads:
- Exiting Atlanta F Concourse (with luggage) if landed at E Concourse, is it possible?
- Newbie Question: int'l arrivals @ ATL
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Elizabeth208
I have a return flight from BCN - ATL - MSY, but I now need to travel to Raleigh-Durham instead of New Orleans. The cost to change the flight is almost double what I paid. I plan to purchase a one-way ticket from ATL to RDU, but still fly the BCN- ATL segment. So my question is, when I go through customs and immigration in ATL, I pick up my checked luggage, correct? If so, if I rip off the MSY tag, will there be a desk there to recheck the bag into RDU?

Is this doable or should I just plan to have carry-on? I have 90 minutes in ATL to make the new flight.
Tricky one. Here's what I'd try. When you land, check into the RDU flight from the DL app. Remove the bag tag in customs, and then at the re-check desk feign ignorance ("Oh I thought that one was done") and ask for a new bag tag. Give them your RDU boarding pass and ID. I doubt they'll take the time or care to figure out that the RDU flight is a different reservation.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Using only carry-on is the only safe approach.
gooselee and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, if ATL-RDU is on DL, will DL even let you do this? I have seen threads with other airlines where the reservations system will not let you have two flights booked at the same time if it is impossible to fly them both. I didn't pay attention to the details because I don't do this, but from what I understand even if it lets you book the conflicting flight initially, the system does a periodic sweep and might cancel one of the reservations. So if you book ATL-RDU before you depart BCN, be aware of that - you wouldn't want your BCN-ATL flight canceled.

I don't know if DL does this but I have read about it on the Southwest forum.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Bear96
Also, if ATL-RDU is on DL, will DL even let you do this? I have seen threads with other airlines where the reservations system will not let you have two flights booked at the same time if it is impossible to fly them both. I didn't pay attention to the details because I don't do this, but from what I understand even if it lets you book the conflicting flight initially, the system does a periodic sweep and might cancel one of the reservations. So if you book ATL-RDU before you depart BCN, be aware of that - you wouldn't want your BCN-ATL flight canceled.

DL will catch it. If ATL-RDU is at the same time as ATL-MSY on DL, OP should consider another carrier to RDU.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by Bear96

I've done it when my plans have changed, skipped the last leg of international-ATL-home to ATL-work_meeting but I had no checked luggage so was ok. Nobody batted an eyelid. I even went to the gate of my ATL-home to say I wouldn't be making it and please give my seat away and they said, 'oh it will happen when you're a no-show'.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
DL will catch it. If ATL-RDU is at the same time as ATL-MSY on DL, OP should consider another carrier to RDU.
I did this and DL “courtesy” called me to pick one flight or the other. Book the new second flight on a different airline!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Elizabeth208
I have 90 minutes in ATL to make the new flight.
As someone who typically allows plenty of buffer time for connections, the thought of allowing only 90 minutes to transfer on separate tickets keeps me up at night!

I can't tell you what's right for you, but please also consider what you will do if your international flight arrives late or immigration is backed up. You might book a flight that is a few hours later and stand by (for free, if you can) for the earlier flight.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum
Yikes, feeling a little scared now. I have no problem with just a carryon. Now I am worried about DL canceling my BCN to ATL flight.

If my flight from BCN to ATL is late and I miss the flight to RDU, my plan was to continue on the original itinerary to MSY. My traveling companion plans to continue on with the original itinerary to MSY. so she was going to tell the gate agent that I wasn't going to show up for the flight.

Should I proactively do something here? I really don't want my BCN to ATL flight to be cancelled.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
there is no reason for DL to cancel your BCN to ATL flight..remember you still have to clear customers and immigration at ATL and also pick up your bags.
you will be fine.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just make sure that you book the ATL-RDU on WN rather than DL. If you have a checked bag, just take the MSY tag off at ATL and then lug your bag to WN check in (no recheck for WN).

DL expressly prohibits "impossible" ticketing and does use software to catch it. So, purchasing a DL ticket is a poor idea.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Often1
Just make sure that you book the ATL-RDU on WN rather than DL. If you have a checked bag, just take the MSY tag off at ATL and then lug your bag to WN check in (no recheck for WN).DL expressly prohibits "impossible" ticketing and does use software to catch it. So, purchasing a DL ticket is a poor idea.
Might want to check this. WN has no check-in at the international terminal at ATL as all flights leave from C. They must have a recheck option in E customs. They might not have one at F concourse (they likely never land at F). And even if they have it, do they allow starting a journey at the recheck desk?

The OP has virtually no chance in hell to circle groundside back to the domestic counters where WN lives. if that is the only option.

EDIT: OP, I am only talking check bags. If no checked bags buy the WN ticket and relax.

EDIT2: OP, make certain you have a boarding to pass to somewhere on you when you land. Hopefully the flight to RDU, but if for some reason you can not print that early, the DL flight to MSO. You will need to return through TSA if you exit at F.
Elizabeth208 likes this.

Last edited by exwannabe; Jun 14, 2019 at 10:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.