Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Ridiculous and non-notified flight change--now sorted, but why did I have to do this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ridiculous and non-notified flight change--now sorted, but why did I have to do this?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by travelmad478

It’s all correct and had to be initially. I bought the ticket online and got an email confirmation.

Wondering now about my seat assignment—there is none for the first MBS-DTW flight. I just went to select seats and there are only two available for no upcharge, neither of which I want (I like aisle seats and these are windows). There are quite a few seats available that I’d have to pay for, though (first few rows of coach, exit row etc). Can I assume that if I don’t select a seat in advance, I’ll probably end up getting assigned to one of those? Worst case is I get one of the two window seats that now appear to be free. It’s a short flight and I’ll just deal with it.
If you don't have DL or SkyTeam status (or perhaps status with DL partners such as VA/VS) you really cannot expect DL to give you good seats for free. For example, if I were to book (I won't for this reason) BA flights in paid business class, BA would charge me several hundred dollars to select seats in advance, even in PAID BUSINESS CLASS, on long haul segments. Moreover, BA blocks the best business class seats for their elites.

You seem to be BA Gold Guest List or something, so think about the reverse situation before you start expecting DL to "upgrade" you to C+ just because you don't like the seats that are available to you for free.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I've received flight schedule change notifications from the airlines months before my scheduled flight.
Yes, so have I, including multiple emails from AA on the same itinerary if there are multiple changes during the period between booking and flying.

And thank you dlflyer00, just got off the phone with DL about the seat and they have waived the fee to put me in my desired aisle. I owe you one for that suggestion!
strickerj and dlflyer00 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you don't have DL or SkyTeam status (or perhaps status with DL partners such as VA/VS) you really cannot expect DL to give you good seats for free. For example, if I were to book (I won't for this reason) BA flights in paid business class, BA would charge me several hundred dollars to select seats in advance, even in PAID BUSINESS CLASS, on long haul segments. Moreover, BA blocks the best business class seats for their elites.

You seem to be BA Gold Guest List or something, so think about the reverse situation before you start expecting DL to "upgrade" you to C+ just because you don't like the seats that are available to you for free.
Uh, I was not expecting to be upgraded. My initial thought (before I just called DL a minute ago to ask about my seat assignment) was that no one would want to pay for those seats before the flight, and that for that reason, they might still be available at check-in--in which case I might get assigned one just because they were the only empty seats. If you read my post that you quoted, I was fully prepared to sit in the window seat if that didn't happen. Not sure why the snark is necessary.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

This is a pretty absurd post. Delta does not “have” to re-route you if you’re late to the airport. Delta does not “have” to put you on another carrier if you misconnect. There are many things that Delta does — IMO, correctly — not because they’re obligated to, but because it increases customer loyalty.

Clearly, this situation is entirely Delta’s fault, unless you want to blame the OP for being automatically re-routed. Making them whole after an IT snafu is just good customer service.

I suspect most people on FT who point out that something isn’t permitted by i.e. the CoC are the same people who would get mad at DL for not waiving a rule. (And no, status is not the only way to value a customer.)
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BobH
I wonder if it's worth writing a "sticky on what to do about schedule changes ???

Bob H
Theres a definitive thread here on the topic. For the most part, DL forum doesnt do sticky thing. Just clogs up the 1st page, especially for those on mobile view. C
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
I had this happen 2 weeks ago. Was booked MSP - JFK - MAD and they randomly changed me to MSP - AMS - MAD. Never told me. I just happen to be looking and saw it. Further more the times were totally different, like arriving 5 hours later. I called and they told me "thats what you get for booking so far in advance". It was super rude.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by lucycan
I had this happen 2 weeks ago. Was booked MSP - JFK - MAD and they randomly changed me to MSP - AMS - MAD. Never told me. I just happen to be looking and saw it. Further more the times were totally different, like arriving 5 hours later. I called and they told me "thats what you get for booking so far in advance". It was super rude.
Sounds like a good time for HUACA
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:05 am
Original Poster

HUACA was also necessary for my traveling companion on the MBS trip. I didn’t know until a couple of days ago that she and I were in fact on the same flight leaving MBS for DTW—we were on the phone coordinating our meet-up plans and I suddenly realized that she probably had the same re-routing problem that I did. Indeed she had, and when she called DL to fix it, the first TWO agents she spoke to on the phone told her that it would cost her an additional $200 to get back onto the schedule she’d originally booked! I told her to just keep calling back, which she did, and the third time was a charm (she was also able to get the same waiving of seat fees that I had).
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, this sort of thing never happens on AA

Flight Changes... No notice - and impossible flights.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
Yes, this sort of thing never happens on AA

Flight Changes... No notice - and impossible flights.
I read that thread and certainly don’t doubt the OP there. My experience with AA has been much better...just as others’ experience with DL has been much better than mine. It would be pretty lame if email alerts of schedule changes only got consistently sent to those with elite status, but it would seem like that could be the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.