Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Ridiculous and non-notified flight change--now sorted, but why did I have to do this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ridiculous and non-notified flight change--now sorted, but why did I have to do this?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:45 am

This has happened to me with DL before - I booked an “opaque” ticket through Priceline. I did add the PNR to my SkyMiles account (just so I could use the Fly Delta app) and the flight had an equipment problem and was delayed. I received zero notifications even though I had my email and mobile number set up for notifications. I was told by the captain we were going to be delayed for 2 more hours. Well I left the gate (rookie mistake) to get something to eat, came back like 30 minutes later - no one was at the gate. They did an equipment swap and left right after I left the gate. I ended up having to take a flight the next morning. It was my fault for not staying at the gate — but I received zero notifications about boarding or gate changes from the app, text messages, or emails. Who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe it had something to do with those opaque tickets?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
I wonder if it's worth writing a "sticky on what to do about schedule changes ???

Bob H
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I'm a pretty experienced flyer but I would never think to check my reservations once a week for these sorts of screwups.
I’m a very experienced flyer too, and checking a reservation once a week (on a flight booked 7-8 months out) would be preposterous. In the absence of notifications from the airline, I tend to check on things a few weeks beforehand, like I just did. At the same time I was checking on the DL flights, I checked on two UA itineraries that I’m booked on for the same trip. One of those also had some changes that I wasn’t notified about, but that was a matter of 10-15 minute adjustments to flight times and possibly a flight number change...still mildly annoying that I wasn’t notified, but nowhere near as egregious as the DL screw-up.
gooselee and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa
Experienced flyers KNOW to check their reservations weekly and at least bi-weekly to ensure that there haven't been any schedule change,
Hahahaha. I don't even know what time I fly next Monday.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobH
Have you considered FNT as an alternate airport?
Yes, I did an ITA Matrix search to figure this one out. This trip is quite complicated, not least because I am traveling in Michigan with someone else who will be flying from there to PHL rather than MSY. Flying out of MBS was the best option for both of us to depart at roughly the same time and also not pay many hundreds of dollars more for the tickets. Thanks though.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by travelmad478
It’s all correct and had to be initially. I bought the ticket online and got an email confirmation.
Unfortunately that is not the case; the confirmation email is not necessarily retained as the passenger contact email.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Unfortunately that is not the case; the confirmation email is not necessarily retained as the passenger contact email.
If DL has my correct email address in my Skymiles profile (which it does) and that’s the way I was logged in to buy the ticket, how could they not have my email address?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL
If this “schedule change” caused you to lose a decent seat, I could see DL putting you in C+ — definitely does not hurt to ask.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dlflyer00
If this “schedule change” caused you to lose a decent seat, I could see DL putting you in C+ — definitely does not hurt to ask.
That is an excellent idea and I will do it. My original seat was 5C, which is dramatically better than the no seat at all that I have now. Thank you!
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Looking back through a year of email, I have only been notified of schedule changes by email on two reservations: one international, the formerly inaugural 330neo flight on 7/1 and a domestic flight to SEA in December where departure moved forward 15 min. However, numerous other reservations I have now or have already flown have the “schedule change” notification when viewing the reservation on delta.com, indicating at least some change. That system is frustrating in itself, because it only notes the “schedule change flight” but does not redline the change itself, so I am forced to go back to original confirmation email to determine what has happened. But back to the email notification topic, do others experience schedule changes without the corresponding email? Is there some sort of threshold? Does DL minimize emails for some reason (resulting call volume, too many requests for free changes that don’t meet published criteria, etc.)?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478

If DL has my correct email address in my Skymiles profile (which it does) and that’s the way I was logged in to buy the ticket, how could they not have my email address?
Delta has your email address, but there is a field for flight notification that is inside every PNR.

Delta *should* fill in this field automatically, I'm not apologizing for them. But my point was that receiving a booking confirmation does not mean everything is in place to receive flight change notifications. It's very possible that the contact field in the PNR was not properly populated somehow but you still receive booking confirmation.

You said the notification system 'had to be correct' because you received a booking confirmation but it's actually not the case.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Delta has your email address, but there is a field for flight notification that is inside every PNR.

Delta *should* fill in this field automatically ...
interesting ... my personal eddress and cell phone number are in my Concur profile, but I get prompted to enter an email address the first time I open the “My Trips” PNR for **EVERY** DL ticket I book thru Concur (and I also get prompted to enter a contact phone number at OLCI for these tix)
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Airlines do not notify PAX of schedule flight changes until about a week out. Why? because in the interim they might be more changes. So they wait until very close to the departure date so not to deal with possible issues multiple times.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Airlines do not notify PAX of schedule flight changes until about a week out. Why? because in the interim they might be more changes. So they wait until very close to the departure date so not to deal with possible issues multiple times.
I've received flight schedule change notifications from the airlines months before my scheduled flight.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is the current notification policy -- https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...essenger-.html

I haven't really noticed any changes where I didn't get notified. Looking at my email archives, they have "Schedule Changes That Impact Your Upcoming Trip" as the subject and I've generally received them on a Sunday (no too surprising as it comes after schedule change Saturday).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.