New Delta website

Old Jun 13, 19, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DLSILVER; HH GOLD
New Delta website

new to the board, but from seeing past posters, and perusing the site, I expect to have a wealth of knowledge brought to me on this question. I just went to the Delta website today, to investigate a trip to Florida near the Christmas holiday. I wanted to fly MSP-RSW, but had felxitbility in both airports and days of travel. But with the new website, it is hard to add addtional airports, and ( for me anyway) searching flexible travel dates was non-existent? Has anyone else seen this? Or am I missing something on their page?
Old Jun 13, 19, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM

Search for flight and on the next page you will find this.
Old Jun 13, 19, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
The new website is hot garbage. To switch back to the old one, change flight-search-2 in the URL to flight-search and hit Enter, at least for now.

Eventually, they'll force all of us onto the new design, but for now you still have the option to revert.
Old Jun 13, 19, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Frogbone,
Yes I did get the additional airports, but I didn't know about the URL Change that BenA suggests.

thanks guys
Old Jun 13, 19, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
For the flexible search option:

Old Jun 13, 19, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by BenA View Post
The new website is hot garbage. To switch back to the old one, change flight-search-2 in the URL to flight-search and hit Enter, at least for now.

Eventually, they'll force all of us onto the new design, but for now you still have the option to revert.
To each their own. I prefer the new design.

There are some peeps on here that think the NWA website was the best ever. To me it looked like and functioned like it was designed by 5th graders...
bubbashow likes this.
Old Jun 13, 19, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post

There are some peeps on here that think the NWA website was the best ever. To me it looked like and functioned like it was designed by 5th graders...
I am happy that they realized that when you click flight details that it is better to have it open in a new separate window, rather than redirecting you to a new page. That fix was a very welcome sight to see this morning. If they had not fixed it, I would have agreed it was hot garbage. Now I am just indifferent to the new design...they will change it again in six months anyway
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 19, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
They seem to have gotten rid of the full advanced search screen where you could search by fare class, etc. Anyone know where that is?
Old Jun 13, 19, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
They seem to have gotten rid of the full advanced search screen where you could search by fare class, etc. Anyone know where that is?
https://www.delta.com/flight-search/book-a-flight
Old Jun 13, 19, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Carmen OM, never saw that box, and I though I went everywhere I could on each page.
Old Jun 13, 19, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC

As one concrete criticism, the new design makes it really difficult to see airplane type - you have to click Details and wait a hilariously long time for the popup to load for every single flight you are considering. On the old design, it expanded in place.

Visually, the new design is appealing on first glance, but functionally it’s way behind the old version once you start trying to actually get work done.

I think the nostalgia for the NWA site was more focused around how much you could accomplish online reliably without calling in. Particularly in the first few years post-merger, the switch to the Delta reservation system and website backend caused a lot of unreliability and removed some features. The award search engine was a particular regression. The visual design itself was very mid-2000s and nothing special for nwa.com, but the backend integration was ahead of Delta’s premerger web site by a mile. The gap has of course closed in the intervening decade, but I’m still amazed at how much I have to pick up a phone to get things accomplished with Delta compared to competing airlines like, say, Alaska.
Old Jun 13, 19, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
To be clear, this is reverting back to the old site. The book-a-flight page for flight-search-2 unfortunately appears to have removed the fare class search feature...
Old Jun 13, 19, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
There are some peeps on here that think the NWA website was the best ever.
Particularly in the first few years post-merger, the switch to the Delta reservation system and website backend caused a lot of unreliability and removed some features.
I certainly remember thinking, ten years ago, that the mergermasters discarded the wrong site. Like NW itself the website was unpretty but delivered a lot of value.
Old Jun 13, 19, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post

To be clear, this is reverting back to the old site. The book-a-flight page for flight-search-2 unfortunately appears to have removed the fare class search feature...

Right, is there a way to access that on the new site? I don't need it that often, but it's helpful for quickly searching for inventory when you need a specific fare class (like for Amex certs, or to check the cost of a higher coach fare class that you want to upgrade).
Old Jun 13, 19, 4:32 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post
For the flexible search option:

Originally Posted by Frogbone View Post

Search for flight and on the next page you will find this.
It slightly irks me that when searching on DL, it's either-or when it comes to flexible dates or airports. I travel for leisure and live in an area where several airports are options so I have quite a bit of flexibility on both fronts.

When booking cash flights, it's no problem as I just use ITA. But it's a pain when searching award flight options.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: