Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL>VS Interline Luggage ? (14 hr overnight "layover")

Old Jun 13, 19, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC

I hate red-eyes so I booked the VS flight out of BOS at 8:15 AM this Saturday (to LHR) and booked a positioning flight in the day before so I could have dinner with a friend then get some good sleep at the Westin Boston Waterfront. I'll be in London for almost 2 full weeks and will be playing tennis, taking some runs and the second week I'll be doing some work. Several of my clients now require that I use their hardware to get on their network so I'll be traveling with at least 4 laptops and I will really only want 2 in my backpack. So I am definitely going to have 2 big checked bags pushing the VS 50# limit (seems pretty explicitly limited to 50#, because I could make 75# work in one).

I don't really want to lug 2 huge bags to my hotel and back for 14 hours. I called the DM desk and first time was told they would interline and hold overnight, but she didn't convince me so I called again and they said no. So, does anyone have experience with a 14 hour overnight "layover" on an interline baggage check? They are separate tickets. I successfully interline to VS all the time but never overnight. Land at 6:25 PM on Friday, depart at 8:15 AM on Saturday. I am guessing no. But maybe more importantly I want to know if someone has done it because even if they accept it, then I worry that they may get delayed.

Old Jun 13, 19, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
The issue isn't the overnight, it's the time between flights. DL-DL is limited to 12hrs. DL-VS should be ok up to 24hrs. However the system and agent may try and force the 12hr limit.
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:21 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Sounds like the perfect trip report! I wonder if they can't/won't, if they will let you check your bags the night before.

If not, there's left luggage for 12.50 pounds per bag

https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...s/left-baggage
Old Jun 14, 19, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Originally Posted by bergamini View Post
I hate red-eyes so I booked the VS flight out of BOS at 8:15 AM this Saturday (to LHR) and booked a positioning flight in the day before so I could have dinner with a friend then get some good sleep at the Westin Boston Waterfront. I'll be in London for almost 2 full weeks and will be playing tennis, taking some runs and the second week I'll be doing some work. Several of my clients now require that I use their hardware to get on their network so I'll be traveling with at least 4 laptops and I will really only want 2 in my backpack. So I am definitely going to have 2 big checked bags pushing the VS 50# limit (seems pretty explicitly limited to 50#, because I could make 75# work in one).
FYI In Premium the VS bag allowance is 2 * 23 KG/ 50 lbs. You can't combine the weight of two into one bag of 75 lbs (also the maximum weight they will take is 70lbs but that;s for either Upper Class or if you pay the excess fees)
Old Jun 14, 19, 11:29 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD View Post
Sounds like the perfect trip report! I wonder if they can't/won't, if they will let you check your bags the night before.

If not, there's left luggage for 12.50 pounds per bag

https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...s/left-baggage
The OP is not flying out of LHR; s/he’s flying BOS-LHR.

OP, how about staying overnight at the Hilton at Logan? That would be easier to manage in terms of luggage instead of staying in town; it would also make the morning departure to LHR easier.