Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Soda is now considered a "lock cart item" for Intl?

Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc

So I know that liquor, beer, wine, etc is all in the locked carts for international flights departing the US but now Coca Cola products are locked cart items now too? (specifically US to Canada)

I think my last TPAC flight I asked for Diet Coke at pre departure and was given one but cant remember for sure
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
This reminds me when I got on a JFK-TLV flight, sitting in Biz, and asked the FA for a "very special rum & Coke". She told me that she can't give it to me until after take off.

I told her that she can if she makes it according to my directions: "Diet Coke, no ice, no lemon, and no rum -- stirred, not shaken".
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I mean IF its true and soda is now a locked cart item DL is really penny pinching. I can understand not wanting to pay taxes on liquor because that can get expensive but I mean how much tax can be really charged on soda?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA Gold, United Silver, SW A List, Bonvoy Titanium
That feels ridiculous. I am not a huge soda drinker, but sometimes, after a week or two abroad, there's an inherent satisfaction in a Coke/Diet Coke with obnoxiously American amounts of ice. A crappy mimosa does not serve the same purpose.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Could it be related to sugary drink controls at the departure airport (or rather the city where the airport is located)?
tentseller likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Mariott Plat UA Silver Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Specifically - there isn't an excise tax here in Canada on soda (pop) particularly from the US (NAFTA, and whatever you want to call the next version of it). Possibly, and only possibly, they've issued an edict from the CRA (the IRS equivalent) that says you have to pay HST on consumed beverages on the ground. That HST would be recoverable as a business expense though (Delta would simply have to claim it on their HST return as an input tax credit). That suggests perhaps that they just don't know how to account for it or don't want to do the additional paperwork. That seems like something they could negotiate if they want to. Further, I have received PDB departing Canada on United, Air Canada and American (I do not fly Delta often - they are great but don't go where I need to quite as conveniently) . That doesn't explain your trip TO Canada though - that makes no sense. I think the flight attendant was tired that day.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
Is this because of the "soda tax" that is being imposed on sugary soft drinks in PHL, NYC, etc.? Surely this cannot be more than any other excise tax charged on alcohol, even the cheap rotgut served on the ground.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris
So I know that liquor, beer, wine, etc is all in the locked carts for international flights departing the US but now Coca Cola products are locked cart items now too? (specifically US to Canada)

I think my last TPAC flight I asked for Diet Coke at pre departure and was given one but cant remember for sure
Were you on a regional jet? It would be surprising to me if soda were a locked cart items, but it would be less surprising if you had regional jet FA who made up their own rules, as the latter is quite common.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If this was a smaller aircraft, it is entirely possible that the cart containing the bonded liquor also contains other items. Those items are effectively locked up too until after departure. On a larger aircraft or longer flight, the bar cart likely contains only alcohol and it is separately catered. This has zippo to do with cost.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

To answer all the questions

This was a DL mainline flight

it did not depart from a soda tax sugary drink tax city.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I doubt that any of the bonded caterers deal with local soda tax issues.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I think the FA just did not want to open more things pre-departure and made this up.
flyerCO and flyerCO like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
I had this happen on an AMS-ATL flight a week or so ago. My initial request for a Diet Coke was denied because the cart was locked but some how the Purser helped the FA make it happen.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I've gotten this couple times. Normally I wait to purser comes by and ask "when did this change?" They then say it hasn't, and go get a can. FA from earlier comes by and apologizes claiming they didn't know better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.