Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Advice needed for schedule change on award flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Booked ICN-LOP via CGK in J for 45k miles.

There was a schedule change and now I have a -5 hour layover. I found an acceptable alternative via DPS instead and so I contacted Delta via Twitter and they told me to call Garuda. I called Garuda and they insisted I needed to call Delta. So, I contacted Delta again via phone and was told that there was no inventory available on any routing on my original date of travel. I asked for the agent to contact Garuda’s revenue management to have inventory opened up so the change could be pushed thru, and she said that wasn’t possible.

Any suggestions or relevant past experiences on how to get this resolved?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL can only open award inventory on their own flights. You have two choices. Find a routing that has inventory, even if it's not a normal routing. Ie via SGN/HAN/PVG/PEK/TPE/PER basically any Slyteam airline or other partner (VA via PER). I don't know which if any of those cities offer service. However if they do, and there's space open, DL can ticket you. Choice two, wait till DoD. GA can rebook you as they have control of the ticket.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL can only open award inventory on their own flights. You have two choices. Find a routing that has inventory, even if it's not a normal routing. Ie via SGN/HAN/PVG/PEK/TPE/PER basically any Slyteam airline or other partner (VA via PER). I don't know which if any of those cities offer service. However if they do, and there's space open, DL can ticket you. Choice two, wait till DoD. GA can rebook you as they have control of the ticket.
Thanks for the advice. I’m inclined to wait til DoD, but recognize there’s a non-trivial risk that I’m stuck in CGK overnight. I’ve had luck with Delta intervening on a rescheduled DL-coded, VS-operated award flight before when no inventory was left (supposedly DL called VS to get inventory opened up), but I realize with the JV that DL and VS’s relationship is much more integrated than DL and GA’s.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Circling back on this.

I showed up at the ICN airport and a ticketing agent gave me my rebooking options, but told me that they could not rebook the ticket since it was a Delta award ticket. They gave me an international phone and told me to call Delta.

I called Delta and after about 30 mins they finally rebooked me and reissued the ticket. So, here are my questions:
1. I checked to see if my rebooked connecting flight was available to book as a new award flight and it wasn’t. Since Delta had to fix the issue anyway, does this mean that Delta could have rebooked me a long time ago?
2. The GA ticketing agent showed me the Amadeus screen which indicated O2 for my rebooked connection. Yet the Delta agent said that only economy was available and that I could get reimbursed for the downgrade after the fact. I was in a hurry so I didn’t push back on there being O inventory available. What type of compensation should I expect for being downgraded on only one segment of my trip?
3. My rebooked connecting flight is now the following day since all of the onward connections the same day were fully booked. What should I expect in terms of accommodations or reimbursement for expenses?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rucksack
Circling back on this.

I showed up at the ICN airport and a ticketing agent gave me my rebooking options, but told me that they could not rebook the ticket since it was a Delta award ticket. They gave me an international phone and told me to call Delta.

I called Delta and after about 30 mins they finally rebooked me and reissued the ticket. So, here are my questions:
1. I checked to see if my rebooked connecting flight was available to book as a new award flight and it wasn’t. Since Delta had to fix the issue anyway, does this mean that Delta could have rebooked me a long time ago?
2. The GA ticketing agent showed me the Amadeus screen which indicated O2 for my rebooked connection. Yet the Delta agent said that only economy was available and that I could get reimbursed for the downgrade after the fact. I was in a hurry so I didn’t push back on there being O inventory available. What type of compensation should I expect for being downgraded on only one segment of my trip?
3. My rebooked connecting flight is now the following day since all of the onward connections the same day were fully booked. What should I expect in terms of accommodations or reimbursement for expenses?
1)Yes. As it was a DL award, DL was always on hook to rebook you in advance.

2)What KE sees doesht matter. DL needs to both see it and have the operating carrier confirm the space. If this had been a DL flight they could've forced space in J. You may get some miles as a CS gesture.

3)None. Again you may get some miles as a CS gesture.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
1)Yes. As it was a DL award, DL was always on hook to rebook you in advance.

2)What KE sees doesht matter. DL needs to both see it and have the operating carrier confirm the space. If this had been a DL flight they could've forced space in J. You may get some miles as a CS gesture.

3)None. Again you may get some miles as a CS gesture.
I was (mistakenly, it seems) under the impression that showing up to the airport meant that Garuda could resolve it themselves since they would have airport control. But that wasn’t the case. I would have been more proactive about getting this fixed if I had known the airport staff couldn’t easily fix this DoD.

Garuda did offer accommodations at a hotel near the airport, but given I had almost 24 hours until my rebooked flight, I decided I wanted to stay in the city so I could explore a little bit rather than waste a whole day.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rucksack

I was (mistakenly, it seems) under the impression that showing up to the airport meant that Garuda could resolve it themselves since they would have airport control. But that wasn’t the case. I would have been more proactive about getting this fixed if I had known the airport staff couldn’t easily fix this DoD.

Garuda did offer accommodations at a hotel near the airport, but given I had almost 24 hours until my rebooked flight, I decided I wanted to stay in the city so I could explore a little bit rather than waste a whole day.
Did you ask for a hotel in the city, especially if you had a very long connection?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you ask for a hotel in the city, especially if you had a very long connection?
Yes, but perhaps the Garuda agent misunderstood. He handed the voucher directly to a hotel employee and she guided me to a hotel shuttle. I asked her where the hotel was but she barely spoke English and I didn't realize until I got to the hotel that it wasn't in the city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.