DL policy related to HKG turmoil

Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
DL policy related to HKG turmoil

I am being told that if the current HKG turmoil continues into next week that some of my key appointments will be lost.

DL's policy would be firm that unless the airport is impacted that there would be no options on the table. Making it worse for me is that I could not get a unified ticket on DL using GUCs so I used GUCs to ICN then SM with KE on to HKG.

Am I missing something obvious should key parts of the trip get lost? I do not have trip insurance which certainly could have come in handy this time.

Last edited by Xeno; Jun 12, 2019 at 2:05 pm
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Any insurance on the credit card used?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

I used my DL AMEX, but do not remember if that includes any insurance since I turned down offered by DL.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
If your contacts in Hong Kong are still interested in meeting, I’d suggest an alternate venue. The Sky City Marriott is excellent and I would be really surprised if protests affected the AsiaWorld Expo area. Macau or Shenzhen are also possible alternate venues (the latter depending on visa eligibility), both with excellent hotels and easy 1 hour commutes from HK. As an inbound air traveler, you have options to bounce off to MFM or SZX via ferry/bus directly from the airport, too.

If they are planning on grabbing their umbrellas and joining the protests themselves, though, you may be out of luck...
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Current civil unrest in Hong Kong is minor, compare to civil wars in some countries. I don't see it as having major impact on business or visitors, aside from potential city traffic disruptions. I won't worry about it unless your appointments are related to Hong Kong government or opposition. I am scheduled to be in Hong Kong in two weeks and I am still happy to go.
BenA and BearX220 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, some of the sessions are not your typical business meeting that can be moved. Rather, more than one key group event is tied to a specific location that is in the path of the recent protests.

I was not making a comparison to locations that are in a war zone, but rather saying that one of my key hosts worries that the atmosphere + location could be threatened on the days I am in play.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:23 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Xeno
I used my DL AMEX, but do not remember if that includes any insurance since I turned down offered by DL.
I don't remember that any of the DL co-branded AMEXes have trip cancellation insurance the way the CSR does, and even the latter would depend on how they interpret events (hijacking/terrorism are explicitly covered, war is explicitly not, protests... not directly mentioned in the language; of course each provider will have their own terms)

I'm kinda surprised they're saying they'll only work with you if the airport itself is affected -- IIRC they were reasonably flexible with changes due to zika concerns.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you checked to see what the USA State Department is currently advising regarding travel to Hong Kong? Usually if there's a warning, you can change tickets without penalty even though this isn't guaranteed by the fare rules, CoC, or any written policy, so ask nicely.

OTOH it could be an interesting time to visit Hong Kong. I really don't envision a risk to the safety of tourists, although it could be a hassle to get around some areas of the city. People with mainland Chinese passports or dual citizenship etc. might have more concerns as well as anyone with a history of doing something to upset the mainland.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Have you actually asked Delta about this? I would be surprised if you could not find a supervisor who is willing to cancel and refund for you.
Quinlanty likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

My primary host says there is a USA advisory about travel, but I cannot find it.

I have not called DL just yet as I really want this trip to come together for various reasons.

Again, in terms of location think that you were going to be in a Mass with Pope Francis inside St. Peter's but these mass protests were centered in St. Peter's Square. Those are the elements that make up the date and location of the key day in Hong Kong.

I am also going to Macau and mainland China and I have no worries about those runs. I am in the restricted HKG area for roughly 36 hours.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

I have not called DL just yet as I really want this trip to come together for various reasons.
DL is always accommodating if there is a good reason, IME.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
My primary host says there is a USA advisory about travel, but I cannot find it.
Here's an advisory from the US Consulate General in Hong Kong:

General page:
https://hk.usconsulate.gov/category/...ency-messages/

Alert specifically for June 12:
https://hk.usconsulate.gov/sm-2019061201/

Presumably, if events warrant, additional messages may be posted to the "general page" above.
Xeno likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Have you actually asked Delta about this? I would be surprised if you could not find a supervisor who is willing to cancel and refund for you.
I would think they would be much more likely to waive the change fee (but not any fare difference) if the OP wanted to rebook for another time. A full refund is a much higher hurdle normally.
But you won't know until you ask.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by TerryK
Current civil unrest in Hong Kong is minor, compare to civil wars in some countries. I don't see it as having major impact on business or visitors, aside from potential city traffic disruptions. I won't worry about it unless your appointments are related to Hong Kong government or opposition. I am scheduled to be in Hong Kong in two weeks and I am still happy to go.
According to media reports there are over a million people protesting (in a city of ~8million). I would classify that as more than "minor". Comparing a (reportedly) peaceful protest to war is like comparing apples to hand grenades. Not to mention there ain't a whole lot of international business travel going on in areas where Civil War is occurring...
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HDQDD
According to media reports there are over a million people protesting (in a city of ~8million). I would classify that as more than "minor"..........
For previous weekend, organizer claimed over a million participants yet official figure is a quarter of that. Turnouts had been a fraction of that for the past few days. I would not judge unrest situation based on one day event with unsubstantiated claim.

I am no expert on situation with China and not trying to take sides. I do sympathize the plight of protesters. I just don't believe situation is as dire as some media reports.

Last edited by TerryK; Jun 13, 2019 at 12:50 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.