Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DTW Parking Garage - Full Midweek this summer

DTW Parking Garage - Full Midweek this summer

Old Jun 13, 19, 11:02 am
k2

Programs: Delta DM MM
Originally Posted by cardsqc View Post
All that said though, I'd be hard pressed to park in the main parking lot anyways, so it's still surprising it fills up. It's just too expensive to deal with it, and the off-site places are efficient enough that they make it easy to choose to go with one of them.
It's funny, most people would say I'm a very analytical decision maker, but when it comes to using the main (McNamara) deck vs out-lots, logic is out the window . I'm totally willing to pay the premium to save 15-30 minutes of the out-lot shuffle. Like I said, it's not logical.
Old Jun 13, 19, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by k2 View Post
It's funny, most people would say I'm a very analytical decision maker, but when it comes to using the main (McNamara) deck vs out-lots, logic is out the window . I'm totally willing to pay the premium to save 15-30 minutes of the out-lot shuffle. Like I said, it's not logical.
What can I say, I'm cheap. At $24/day vs $8/day (I get a discounted price at the out-lots), it's a pretty easy decision for me . Especially since it comes out of my pocket, all my travel is leisure travel, I'm not getting reimbursed for anything.
Old Jun 13, 19, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
I'd venture to guess that a combination of the geographic vastness of SE Michigan, the influence of the auto industry and attachment to personally-owned automobiles, and demographics of travelers flying out of DTW we are far more likely to drive to the airport than many other places.
I'm wondering what you're thinking of when you say "other places" because DTW does not seem special or unique at all in this regard when compared to other medium-to-large middle-American cities.
Old Jun 13, 19, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Hah, you should try Portland, PDX close-in long term parking garage. It's often full by Monday afternoon and empties out by Friday midday. It is very common to see the full signs. Port of Portlands' response to a continually under sized long term parking facility? Build more parking? Nope. Raise the rates by an egregious amount and state that their intention is "To encourage the use of public transportation". Yes, that works for those of us who have NO public transportation options even vaguely close to where they live....
seems like there are multiple offsite parking options at PDX so you should be fine
Old Jun 13, 19, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Glad I am away this summer from that airport. I only park in the lot. I would likely have a panic attack were it not available for me.

I wonder if they will establish a way to pre-book in the future. I’d be furious arriving 50 minutes before my flight to learn that parking is not available.
Old Jun 13, 19, 1:54 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
That said, I wouldn't bother to park at the Big Blue/North if flying out of the McNamera, its easier to use one of the off-site lots off Merriman. The frequency and spacing of the shuttles between terminals, especially at off-peak hours, is pretty poor in comparison to the frequency of shuttles to the privately owned offsite lots. Plus you effectively have to navigate two ground transportation centers/parking facilities versus just being dropped to/from your car in the offsite lot.
Interesting; Iíve only lived here since 2009, but Iíve never waited for the terminal shuttle, so I figured the Blue deck vs. off site would be a wash in terms of time. I might give them a try though now that Blue has gone up to $14 a day.

Originally Posted by cardsqc View Post
I could theoretically take the local airport (LAN), but it's typically way too expensive and way too inconvenient with schedules to make it worth not driving to detroit to catch a flight. There's bus service, but as soon as I hit about 2 people in the trip, it's cheaper to drive or rent a car. And this is Michigan, we don't really believe in public transportation.
When I was in grad school at MSU, I flew out of LAN once. It took 3 buses (and a nearly 2 hours) to get to the airport from campus, and I arrived back at LAN after that bus line stopped running for the night so I had to take a taxi. From then on I used the Michigan Flyer / Indian Trails service that picked up at the Marriott in East Lansing - for $50 round trip, it would get me to DTW quicker than LAN (never mind the LAN-DTW flight and then waiting for your connection).
Old Jun 14, 19, 7:32 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post

Iím about 43 miles to TPA airport and I exclusively Uber/Lyft for work and personal travel.
So much less of a hassle and fortunate my company will pay for it (would owe me mileage and then reimburse for parking where we are allowed to use short term parking so itís a wash for the most part).
That's fair. I'm just surprised that frequent business travelers are still driving. I know literally no one in my network that still drives their own car to the airport. Probably does depend (like you noted) on how far you are form the airport and convenience/cost relative to Uber.
Old Jun 14, 19, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
I'm wondering what you're thinking of when you say "other places" because DTW does not seem special or unique at all in this regard when compared to other medium-to-large middle-American cities.
I'm just basing that on my network of people that I travel with or am around from other cities. They all look at me like I'm crazy when I say that I drive myself to the airport. They ask why I don't use Uber/Lyft or a car service. I work with people from other offices all over the country and even in places like PIT, CLE, BOS, NYC, CHI they use ride share/car services.

I don't due to the distance, cost, and often times I'm not going directly from home <-> airport as they are many times I'm going from the office to the airport later in the day, or making stops on the way home from the airport.
Where I live in Western Oakland County, Uber/Lyft service is very sporadic and I would never could on being able to get on in a timely manner.
Old Jun 14, 19, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Originally Posted by k2 View Post
I was reminded of that last night as it took forever circling around the lot dropping everyone off until they got to my car. Then there is always the dweeb who lost the slip/can't remember what car they drove/can't remember where they parked that slows down everything.

There is something to be said about not dealing with that extra 30 minute hassle at the end of a trip.

That said, I usually park off-site for personal travel, but if I get delayed getting to the airport having the option to use the parking garage is one of the safety buffers to use if cutting it close. I'd rather pay for more expensive parking than risk missing a flight.
Old Jun 14, 19, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
I stopped using the ramp after I went to the open house before the terminal opened for flights because I couldn't stand looking for a parking space. I avoid US Park because often there are motor blockages when the political candidates come to town and prefer Quik Park.

Bob H
Old Jun 14, 19, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
That's fair. I'm just surprised that frequent business travelers are still driving. I know literally no one in my network that still drives their own car to the airport. Probably does depend (like you noted) on how far you are form the airport and convenience/cost relative to Uber.
Weekly traveler here. I drive for the sheer convenience. Uber/Lyft always takes at least 15 minutes to get to my house (despite false ETAs that are significantly lower). At the airport, it usually takes another 15 minutes or so from them to get to their waiting lot to the terminal. I'm 25 min from RDU, so waiting another 15 on each end makes my trip significantly longer. I only do it when I'm gone for more than a week. I drive an EV so I don't want it sitting for more than a week not plugged in (note: it would probably be fine and I can monitor it from the app, but I don't want to be wrong).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: