Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

sky miles: first class one way. economy back

Old Jun 11, 19, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to book first class (for 2) msp-dxb (cruise to sin) sin-msp. my sky pesos aren't worth what I thought they were (did lax-bkk -cruise to syd- syd-lax for like 120k miles some years ago). I have attempted to read through the booking through sky team partners and related threads, though they are quite lengthy and I may have missed the obvious answer.

I did one way segment search and could go and come back in J. found the flights and called delta since delta.com wouldn't let me do a multi-city ticket for the same prices. Best I got out of the Rep, who was quite patient and helpful, was 600k (I have 500k). I had the brilliant idea that I would go first class one way and economy the other. this, alas, was forbidden per the rep.

as a long time lurker, I have gotten the impression that Reps aren't always accurate.

any suggestions?
Old Jun 11, 19, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Try booking as two one-way tickets.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Jun 12, 19, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
You can book different cabins each direction. You can even book OW. One thing to do is look at booking out of JFK/LAX. You'd need a separate cheap ticket between MSP and there, but you can usually find better awards, especially on partners out of these. DL would take bags through and even offer protection across the tickets.
Old Jun 12, 19, 7:09 am

Programs: DL DM
Also - before you get fleeced for 500,000 miles, do the math on other options. Not sure if you have a DL credit card, but if you do, your miles are worth $0.01 towards the purchase of a ticket.

It may be that for $5,000 you can get a much better deal (you'll also earn miles and status miles by booking that way)
Old Jun 12, 19, 7:16 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
OP, I'm not exactly sure about SIN-US...

But DXB-US should be 85,000 miles one way per person at the low level.

A lot of days, the website doesn't publish a routing between the two. In that case, the SkyMiles T&Cs state that if a routing isn't published between two cities, the only restriction is three connections maximum internationally, no more than 24:00 hours between any connection, and within MPM.

For example, I found DXB-AMS on KLM, then AMS-LHR, then LHR-BOS (any Virgin flight from LHR-US seems to show 160K one way by itself now, but as part of DXB-US it is 85K as a through fare), and finally BOS-BUF. Some agents will claim that you can't piece together like this. Baloney. That's why there's a rule about what to do if the system doesn't find a published routing on a particular date. HUCA.

But, out of DXB, you first want to find either DXB-AMS or DXB-CDG on the date you want. I think DXB-CDG might be on angled-flat though (at least a few months ago when I was searching). KLM also flies AUH-AMS, but its not daily service. AF has a codeshare with Etihad, AUH-CDG, but it can't be booked with SkyMiles.

When Jet was around/more reliable, you could try UAE-India-AMS or CDG. But, these always came close to, if not exceeded, MPM at times, and the timings were awful. But an option.
Old Jun 12, 19, 7:30 am

Programs: Yes
DL metal one-way J awards to DXB are available from 105K one-way. These are CSV1050 awards with a 90-day advance purchase requirement. The 90-day requirement means the earliest you will find availability is in mid-September and onward. Availability at that award level is limited, so just because you meet the 90-day requirement does not mean there will be availability at that level on the days you want to travel. There are also 85K partner awards. Partner vs. Delta awards is determined by who flies you over the Atlantic. These mostly involve Saudia metal from JFK through JED, although there is occasional availability on AF/KL. These don't have an advance purchase requirement so can potentially be purchased closer in.
Old Jun 12, 19, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta Diamond & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, ICH Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
You can book different cabins each direction.
How?
Old Jun 12, 19, 11:55 am

Why don't you just book one-ways? Should not make any difference.
Old Jun 12, 19, 12:37 pm

Programs: Many
DL miles can't be used on partner F awards and DL no longer operates an F cabin, so I am afraid you're SOL on the inbound.
Old Jun 12, 19, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the replies.

Perhaps I should frame this more as a tactical question, I spent hours searching with the help of the tips I have learned here. thought I found dates and flights via one way segment searches. called sky miles to book and got the 600k price which wasn't the routing I gave the rep. while I found her to be helpful and believed she was trying, she could not come up with the routing I found. actually 2 routings , MSP-YYV-CDG-DXB via DL/AF (85k) and MSP-LHR-BEY-DXB via DL and ME (115k)

so how do I politely say to the Rep, no, I know this routing exist and is valid, please book it for me. I'm aware of the hang up call again tactic. do I mention CSV1050 awards and that can work? the wiki mentions spending hours on the phone trying to book these things. do need not only flight numbers but fare codes, award codes or any other codes that might help the Rep find what I believe to exist.
Old Jun 12, 19, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

forgot to add, the return leg SIN-MSP I found was SIN-AMS-MSP on KL for 85k
Old Jun 13, 19, 7:54 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, ICH Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by vfw614 View Post
Why don't you just book one-ways? Should not make any difference.
It sometimes does make a difference. In all of my experiences, the trips I've contemplated cost more as two one-ways than as a round trip.