Wiki Posts
Search

Personal travel booked via amex travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preffered, Delta GM
Personal travel booked via amex travel

I can't find a recent thread about this topic. I am looking at booking a personal flight via Amex Travel because it is showing cheaper than ita matrix. Everything is on Delta, or klm metal under code-share. If I book via amex travel do I get the MQD and MQMs for the flights?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Would assume it all depends on what the fare code is? What are they?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:29 am
Original Poster

If I am not logged in I get this:

When I log in it doesn't show up, but the tickets are part of the "international airline program" The fine print doesn't say anything about earning miles.

The fare categories are not listed. The flights are Business class and about $800 less than the same flights on ITA.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Originally Posted by fujiteam
If I am not logged in I get this:

When I log in it doesn't show up, but the tickets are part of the "international airline program" The fine print doesn't say anything about earning miles.

The fare categories are not listed. The flights are Business class and about $800 less than the same flights on ITA.
According to this thread - USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).
They do give you full MQM's and whatnot on Delta ticketed ones. AA usually gives you some percentage.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: DL DM
Last year I booked a DL-marketed (DL flight numbers) and AF-operated fare via calling AMEX IAP and miles credited as expected. This year, AMEX IAP was having trouble booking the flights as DL-marketed (which had better earnings than AF marketed). Depending on the fare amount, it is worth running the calculation is the KLM distance based MQD and RDMs are better than DL's revenue based MQD and RDM calcs. As an FO, by my calculation, booking as KL-marketed (C, D, I, or Z fares), would give you 48,624 RDM, 30,390 MQM (Same as DL) and $8104 MQD.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I called up Amex and they also said that I should get all the DL MQMs and MQDs. I have to book online with Amex to get teh 5X points. So int he past you could save $ but no amex points. Now you can get the flight deals and amex points.

Now if I can make a routing with ATL-JNB and a 744 AMS-ORD segment workout.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:51 am
Original Poster

An update: The transactions went through as being with Delta. The two tickets were split into two transactions. Hopefully in August I see the MQMs and MQDs.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I've used the IAP for DL D1 tickets booked through a phone agent at PTS, I got full MQMs etc. as if I had purchased the ticket from DL, although RDMs and MQDs should be based on the price you actually paid.

IME Z class isn't available through IAP and cheap I might not be either. Be sure to compare prices with what you can find on delta.dumb.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Be sure to look around through both places, that said Amex is a wonderful company and I think this new program is easier to use than the old one.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
The best thing about booking online with AmEx is that you can "build" your itinerary one leg at a time to get the exact flights that you found on ITA/Google Flights/etc. Once upon a time, you could do that with Orbitz, but now a search there just returns complete itineraries with no options to swap out legs.

For those that have never booked with AmEx online, you will get two charges on your cc, one for the ticket and one for the booking fee...BUT....the two added together equal the fare shown on the website. You aren't being overcharged, the charges are just split into two transactions.
marcopizzaiuolo likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:52 pm

I haven’t done this before but I will try now. I do have a question, can I use Delta Skymiles to upgrade? I have a good fare for Brussels in December and we want to buy the class of fare that permits us to upgrade to D1 using points.

If AmEx can do this, I’d rather go through them. I’m having a tough time with the new DL site TBH.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Yes.

All my trips from 2017 thru 2018 was booked via AMex travel. You earn MQD, MQM AND DELTA MILES. 2017 was awesome cuz you got 50% back if you had Amex Platinum and used MR points to book the flights. They lowered it to 35% in June or July of 2017. Centurion card holders get 50% still. All of my 2019 bookings were done with Delta miles. Glad I used them up as all the award flights have gone up in points.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Less than 24 hours after landing back home I got my Gold Medallion welcome email. So I got 5X Amex points, all the Skymiles with multipliers, MQDs and MQMS. My significant other got the Silver email the next day. This all worked out so well. I checked once we were on vacation and the outbound trip posted correctly as soon as we completed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.