Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GA gave away my seat before boarding even started

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GA gave away my seat before boarding even started

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Tine Rod
Delta was a real gem this weekend. Flighted delayed in FLL , they claim due to weather. Connection in ATL leaves early, while our plane was de-boarding. I get automatically rebooked for my PHX flight. Lost my 15k F upgrade. Assigned a c+ seat on a flight 2 flights later. 3 hours to sleep before my meeting. Twitter rep says they owe me nothing due to weather and my upgrade was complimentary. I raised hell. Someone with sense gave me my 15k back.
By 15K F upgrade do you mean you paid 15K miles for the upgrade? If that's the case, I agree with you that they should refund it, even due to weather.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Is it truly possible for GAs to know a passenger is in the SC and know which one? Even if they do, is it common for GAs to actually pay it any heed and make decisions based on that SC location info?
I know it is possible because I benefited from it once. I had GUCs for my wife and me clear at the gate at HKG for a flight to SEA. The GA found us in the lounge to let us know and also to process the payment for the additional infant in arms charges.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
What policy are you referencing? Of course OP is still entitled to the fare difference, at minimum. I don't think that the $200 credit is published anywhere that a customer can see, but I expect OP will have no problem being given this as well.
If you agree to a voluntary downgrade, which is what OP did, you don't get to claim compensation for an involuntary downgrade. Take a look next time you use rebooking took. It makes it clear you get NO refund, No compensation if you voluntarily take a lower seat. DL would've happily provided him a F seat, on the next flight with a F seat available. OP didn't want to wait. No compensation is due. Do not collect $200, go straight to coach. He may get something as a CS gesture, but the downgrade was voluntary and thus no compensation is due.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: DL DM
I know we speak of T-15 and such. What is T, though? Is it scheduled time or latest expected time? So, if a flight is delayed by an hour with the new time posted over 30 min ahead of the original departure time, is T the original scheduled time or 60 minutes later?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
If you agree to a voluntary downgrade, which is what OP did, you don't get to claim compensation for an involuntary downgrade. Take a look next time you use rebooking took. It makes it clear you get NO refund, No compensation if you voluntarily take a lower seat. DL would've happily provided him a F seat, on the next flight with a F seat available. OP didn't want to wait. No compensation is due. Do not collect $200, go straight to coach. He may get something as a CS gesture, but the downgrade was voluntary and thus no compensation is due.
If this were true, then give me an example of an actual involuntary downgrade. Would you only be able to claim this if you were on the last flight of a route that was being discontinued? Otherwise, there's always a later flight.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wrong

Notwithstanding the "warning" on the rebooking tool.

That would violate Rule 19 of the CoC, plus any basic common sense.
MSPeconomist and bmw745ion19s like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:40 am

Where in the OP did you read that OP was offered the choice of a later flight vs. compensation? How do you know that choice was made? Also, your rigid read of whatever rules you seem to be aware of does not match my experience:

A couple of months ago I misconnected on AMS-SEA-SFO (because of DL operational issues) on an D1/F award ticket.

The next SEA-SFO flight available, leaving in 2 hours, only had room in Y, or I could have waited 6 hours and flown in F. Neither of these were good options, and I was presented with these poor choices through no fault of my own.

I had already been traveling for over 10 hours, and wanted to get home, so I accepted Y on the next flight. For my troubles I was offered a mileage credit of 9,000 SM (the fare difference on this short domestic leg) plus a $200 credit. While I "voluntarily" accepted the downgrade, I was involuntarily put in the position of choosing between a downgrade or spending 7+ hours in an airport after I'd gotten of a TATL flight, and DL saw it fit to compensate me for it.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Let's separate out a couple of different things:

1) What the Contract of Carriage says
2) What regulatory requirements are
3) What would hold up in a court of law around contractual intent and party expectations
4) What Delta or any other business in the US would do as a customer service gesture

Your rigid reading of the contract of carriage implies that OP is not granted any compensation or that OP would not be legally entitled to said compensation.

Contrary to all the people that believe the Contract of Carriage is the end-all-be-all of everything, the reality is that it isn't. Courts try to understand the intent of a contract in the event of ambiguity.

And let's be clear.. this whole nonsense about voluntary downgrades? Even in the contract ITSELF Delta says the passenger is entitled to a partial refund. It's right here:

Originally Posted by Delta CoC
If acceptable to the passenger, Delta may provide transportation in a lower class of service, in which case the passenger may be entitled to a partial refund.
"If acceptable to the passenger" = voluntary. "May be entitled to partial refund" = difference in fare. Now, of course, where things get sticky is.. difference in fare when? The day of departure or time of booking? And so on.

I really don't get the attitude of a lot of folks on this forum who bend over backwards to try to say "OP deserves nothing! Suck it up!" when that is not factually accurate.

A lot of times Delta does provide compensation as customer service gestures when they have no contractual, regulatory, or legal requirement. But this is not one of those times. And don't conflate a strict reading of the CoC with what would be a legal requirement or a likely ruling in a court of law (which cares about contract intent and reasonable party expectations when reading an incomplete and ambiguous contract which the CoC is).

Obviously the average passenger isn't going to waste time with a court case, but that doesn't change the fact that the statement of "OP is entitled to nothing" is not correct. It just so happens to be that the transaction cost of collecting on what may be a legal entitlement is higher than the value of that entitlement - and, therefore, they make a choice not to pursue it.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
First off, I've never said don't feel OP should get nothin . I do think it was poorly handled. However, OP was offloaded in compliance with the CoC and associated policies agreed to by customer by purchasing a ticket. At T-15 from scheduled departure Delta was in the right to offload. It Doesnt mean it was just or good CS, but they were in the right. Once that happened OP was entitled to be rebooked on next flight with F. If that was the same flight, then that flight. If the next flight isn't till the next day, then next day. Depending on reason for the late inbound, DL would've put him in a hotel. However OP didn't want to wait till next day. Therefore he accepted a seat in highest service available on the flight, main cabin in this case. Thus it was a voluntary downgrade as he could've spent the night and flown, in F next day. If he had been at the gate prior to cutoff and had been offloaded, yes he'd be entitled to compensation as he was downgraded outside of policy/CoC.

Again, I agree what happened sucks. Good CS is that they should issue a CS gesture. However compensation isn't due. What they should do (and should've done to begin with) vs what they're legally required to do, are different things. FWIW, this isn't first time this specific type of issue has been discussed.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:45 am

First off, I've never said don't feel OP should get nothin . I do think it was poorly handled. However, OP was offloaded in compliance with the CoC and associated policies agreed to by customer by purchasing a ticket. At T-15 from scheduled departure Delta was in the right to offload. It Doesnt mean it was just or good CS, but they were in the right. Once that happened OP was entitled to be rebooked on next flight with F. If that was the same flight, then that flight. If the next flight isn't till the next day, then next day. Depending on reason for the late inbound, DL would've put him in a hotel. However OP didn't want to wait till next day. Therefore he accepted a seat in highest service available on the flight, main cabin in this case. Thus it was a voluntary downgrade as he could've spent the night and flown, in F next day. If he had been at the gate prior to cutoff and had been offloaded, yes he'd be entitled to compensation as he was downgraded outside of policy/CoC.

Again, I agree what happened sucks. Good CS is that they should issue a CS gesture. However compensation isn't due. What they should do (and should've done to begin with) vs what they're legally required to do, are different things. FWIW, this isn't first time this specific type of issue has been discussed.

OFFS. I vote you off the island of this thread.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador

Did you ignore what I quoted in the CoC? Even by strict reading of the CoC (weasel words like "may" aside, which won't give Delta an out in a one-sided contract like this) OP is entitled to a partial refund of fare even if they voluntarily take a lower fare class. The $200 additional compensation is a customer service gesture.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:31 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Would hearing-impaired passengers subject to the same treatment? That would look bad. This “we called your name” garbage has got to go.
I suppose in an ideal world the passenger would have the "deaf or hard of hearing" SSR on their record (you can indicate it in the same place to indicate wheelchair/vision impaired/peanut allergy), and the GA would notice, but I'm not sure how they handle it after that (try to text?) I also don't know how this is actually reflected in the record and how easy it would be for the GA to overlook it in a hurry.

(Mentioning this more as a practical/logistical matter and not commentary on the validity of "we called your name" )
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:39 am

What is your definition of "involuntary downgrade?" Like Dr. Dao? Anything else?
When is Delta not "within" their right to offload?
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
The good agents will call the lounge. Happened to me at DCA.
That might work at an outstation where there's 1 SkyClub. At ATL where there's 10 SkyClubs, that becomes silly to think a GA would have the time to call 10 SCs to find out if a passenger may or may not be there, especially since many passengers may not opt to go to the SC closest to their departure gate but may go to a nicer lounge (B/E/F) or went to the SC closest to where their inbound flight came in to (I often do this, as if I have a long layover, and knowing there's a good chance of a gate change anyway, I either go to a preferred lounge, either B or F, or go to the closest lounge to where I came in).
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:03 pm

The problem is the airline doesn't actually know where you are (not that I'm voting in favour of tracking via the app). Checking in used to mean you were at the airport, at least, but nowadays it doesn't mean anything. Whether you have gone through security (they scan your boarding pass, obviously, but the airline doesn't know you have passed security).
It would be really helpful if the airline knew who was in the airport, just needs a reminder the plane is boarding, or who is hundreds of miles away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.