Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GA gave away my seat before boarding even started

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GA gave away my seat before boarding even started

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
At T-15 from scheduled, not delayed departure, the agent can offload you if not at the gate, ready to board. This is true even if they're not boarding yet.
This is just so unfair if there is a long delay and I choose to wait out the delay in a SC as opposed to a crowded gate. It should be T-15 from the revised departure time.
FlyBitcoin likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would hearing-impaired passengers subject to the same treatment? That would look bad. This “we called your name” garbage has got to go.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
It may not have been the GA's fault. On long delayed flights, I have seen where the DL system will automatically rebook a traveler on the next flight and off of the original connection.
Exactly. GAs don't have the time - or probably even the ability - to research every passenger's itinerary and judge whether they can make a connection. Something in the DL rez system flagged OP as a misconnect; his F seat opened up; and the next person eligible to be upgraded was booked into it.

There was probably very little, if any, involvement by the GA here other than clicking the next people on the UG list into the available F seats.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by JTE458
This is something that frustrates me about "we called your name". Most of us have lounge access. I'm not going to be hanging around at the gate for 20 min before boarding. They need to be able to ping your Delta app with an alert if a GA is needing to speak to you.
The good agents will call the lounge. Happened to me at DCA.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:46 pm

It happens. “We paged you” is their response when you weren’t standing at the gate 30 minutes in advance of departure.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I agree it was bad CS on GA part. However OP isn't entitled to downgrade compensation. His seat was rightly (though unjustly) forfeited at T-15.
While the GA may have had the right to give the seat away, I think OP is still entitled to compensation. OP lost the seat due to IRROPS, not because OP was hanging out in the club or late to the airport. OP had a paid F ticket, and DL downgraded OP. If OP was offered a F seat on the next flight and declined that in favor of Y on the flight OP took, then perhaps no compensation was due, but even then I think there would be a case.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is possible that DL will issue the $200 voucher as a customer service gesture (not compensation), but OP is clearly not entitled to it.

The policy and rule is clear. T-15 from scheduled departure. Same thing to offload had DL needed the seat.

If you choose to wait at the SC past T-15, make sure that you either stop by the gate or that the SC calls the gate.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It is possible that DL will issue the $200 voucher as a customer service gesture (not compensation), but OP is clearly not entitled to it.

The policy and rule is clear. T-15 from scheduled departure. Same thing to offload had DL needed the seat.

If you choose to wait at the SC past T-15, make sure that you either stop by the gate or that the SC calls the gate.
Wrong. OP did not "choose the wait." The 15 minute rule is only true about the seat being given away, but in the case of IRROPS it does not relieve DL of their obligation to provide the service that OP paid for. OP lost the F seat because their inbound a/c was delayed and they could not be at the gate at t-15. I suppose if IRROPS was due to weather than no compensation would be due, but certainly if it were due to anything operational at DL (mechanical or crew issues, etc) then yes, OP would 100% be due comp.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Wrong. OP did not "choose the wait." The 15 minute rule is only true about the seat being given away, but in the case of IRROPS it does not relieve DL of their obligation to provide the service that OP paid for. OP lost the F seat because their inbound a/c was delayed and they could not be at the gate at t-15. I suppose if IRROPS was due to weather than no compensation would be due, but certainly if it were due to anything operational at DL (mechanical or crew issues, etc) then yes, OP would 100% be due comp.
Weather does not absolve Delta of providing transportation in the class of service booked and paid for. Since this was paid F, DL is required either to provide transportation in F or provide compensation. All weather does is limit DL's liability for things like hotel and meals.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
If you call the Diamond Desk, they can issue you the $200 voucher over the phone instantly.

They also will submit the refund for you for the downgraded segment.

Next time, ask them to fix it; if they refuse, ask for a Red Coat, who should be able to fix it.
If an upgraded elite is later downgraded, IIRC they also get the $200 voucher.

For refunds, one must watch how the calculation is done. It shouldn't be the difference between the (usually discounted( FC fare that was purchased and the walk up FULL F fare. If there's a connection, then breaking the fare can also result in the computed cost of a downgraded ticket being more expensive than the original FC ticket.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1

This would be a big time-wasting mess for the GA if every premium cabin passenger did it. Moreover, how is the SC supposed to call if there's no GA at the gate?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by reimero
Weather does not absolve Delta of providing transportation in the class of service booked and paid for. Since this was paid F, DL is required either to provide transportation in F or provide compensation. All weather does is limit DL's liability for things like hotel and meals.
However this doesn't mean F on that flight. OP was by policy/COC correctly (although, again unjustly IMO) offloaded. DL responsibility is then to provide the next F seat available. OP decided to take the coach seat instead of wait for next flight with F. Thus it doesn't matter the reason why the 1st flight was late. All that matters is that OP accepted a coach seat instead of waiting for a F seat, after properly being offloaded. Thus per policy he's entitled to nothing, as it was a voluntary downgrade.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:34 am

However this doesn't mean F on that flight. OP was by policy/COC correctly (although, again unjustly IMO) offloaded. DL responsibility is then to provide the next F seat available. OP decided to take the coach seat instead of wait for next flight with F. Thus it doesn't matter the reason why the 1st flight was late. All that matters is that OP accepted a coach seat instead of waiting for a F seat, after properly being offloaded. Thus per policy he's entitled to nothing, as it was a voluntary downgrade.
What policy are you referencing? Of course OP is still entitled to the fare difference, at minimum. I don't think that the $200 credit is published anywhere that a customer can see, but I expect OP will have no problem being given this as well.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
On the flip side landed at C37 in ATL late due to TS in TPA and made it to C43 for flight to STL. App kept asking me to accept a flight the next day (I did not) and boarded at the time the door should be closing.
Seat remained intact and made it to STL last night.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:17 pm

Delta was a real gem this weekend. Flighted delayed in FLL , they claim due to weather. Connection in ATL leaves early, while our plane was de-boarding. I get automatically rebooked for my PHX flight. Lost my 15k F upgrade. Assigned a c+ seat on a flight 2 flights later. 3 hours to sleep before my meeting. Twitter rep says they owe me nothing due to weather and my upgrade was complimentary. I raised hell. Someone with sense gave me my 15k back.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.