Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GA gave away my seat before boarding even started

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:22 am
Original Poster

I had a confirmed seat in paid F. My inbound flight was delayed 3 hours, it arrived at approximately 10:30pm in ATL D concourse. My connecting flight was supposed to depart at 10:35pm from B concourse. Delta App was showing a delay with an 10:55pm estimated Departure. I literally ran to my B concourse gate, and was there by 10:40pm, only to find out that the crew wasn't even there yet, and flight had not yet started to board. Boarding probably started at 10:50pm, but when I attempted to board with F, my boarding pass gets rejected, and GA says: "Oh, I have been calling your name, I already gave away your seat to an Upgrade". I am DM and MM, and was pretty shocked, but didn't really say anything. They found me a seat in main cabin, and told me to reach out to delta for recourse after I arrive. Does GA have the power to give away your seat before they even start to board?
hi55us likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Halloweverybody
I had a confirmed seat in paid F. My inbound flight was delayed 3 hours, it arrived at approximately 10:30pm in ATL D concourse. My connecting flight was supposed to depart at 10:35pm from B concourse. Delta App was showing a delay with an 10:55pm estimated Departure. I literally ran to my B concourse gate, and was there by 10:40pm, only to find out that the crew wasn't even there yet, and flight had not yet started to board. Boarding probably started at 10:50pm, but when I attempted to board with F, my boarding pass gets rejected, and GA says: "Oh, I have been calling your name, I already gave away your seat to an Upgrade". I am DM and MM, and was pretty shocked, but didn't really say anything. They found me a seat in main cabin, and told me to reach out to delta for recourse after I arrive. Does GA have the power to give away your seat before they even start to board?
Well that's the point where they should have rescinded the upgrade and returned you to your purchased seat. I have been on the other end of that several times (lost an upgrade to a late arriving passenger booked in F.)
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Sure, and the gate agent also has the power to ask the upgrade to vacate his/her seat, even after boarding has begun. Like Diver Dave, I have been un-upgraded for an F passenger. It's no fun, but it happens and an upgraded passenger should understand that.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:39 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Setting aside what should have happened and focusing on what did happen ... In this situation you should receive at least $200 plus the fare difference as compensation.
Spiff, TechMarauder, HDQDD and 8 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DiverDave
I have been on the other end of that several times (lost an upgrade to a late arriving passenger booked in F.)
I get that they want to be efficient and save time, etc .. but is it actually common practice to give away a seat before boarding even starts even if they assume I will be late? I was actually around the gate area more than 10 minutes before boarding, and heard other names being called, but never heard my own. To me, giving away a seat should be a LAST RESORT, only when a no show is confirmed, and certainly not before boarding commences.
strickerj and Smrtmom1 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
If you call the Diamond Desk, they can issue you the $200 voucher over the phone instantly.

They also will submit the refund for you for the downgraded segment.

Next time, ask them to fix it; if they refuse, ask for a Red Coat, who should be able to fix it.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:26 pm

This is something that frustrates me about "we called your name". Most of us have lounge access. I'm not going to be hanging around at the gate for 20 min before boarding. They need to be able to ping your Delta app with an alert if a GA is needing to speak to you.
Spiff, AntonS, ijgordon and 26 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Exactly, if they are going to do that "we called your name" garbage, then their system should tell the GA that we scanned into the SkyClub and they can contact the particular club that we are in.

And for redundancy, use a messaging function in the app. And if we are making a connection, their AI should pretty much tell them where in the journey we might be from the arrival plane to the departing gate. They know our seat number and approximate gate to gate travel times.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Though I've never had it happen to me, I have seen upgrades to premium cabins rescinded for exactly this reason - a late arriving connecting flight and the ticketed passenger who has shown up before the doors closed.
acrophobia and Smrtmom1 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Seems like the GAs could have waited longer to give up your seat since they knew about the delay.

On a recent flight the GA called a passenger to the podium and told him that a connecting passenger in F was likely to miss the flight, so he asked the passenger to hang out by the gate area until boarding was complete, and if the F passenger was no show, he'd get him seat since he was next on the upgrade list. Seemed like the right way to handle it.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Exactly, if they are going to do that "we called your name" garbage, then their system should tell the GA that we scanned into the SkyClub and they can contact the particular club that we are in.
Is it truly possible for GAs to know a passenger is in the SC and know which one? Even if they do, is it common for GAs to actually pay it any heed and make decisions based on that SC location info?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
At T-15 from scheduled, not delayed departure, the agent can offload you if not at the gate, ready to board. This is true even if they're not boarding yet.

I agree it was bad CS on GA part. However OP isn't entitled to downgrade compensation. His seat was rightly (though unjustly) forfeited at T-15.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
At T-15 from scheduled, not delayed departure, the agent can offload you if not at the gate, ready to board. This is true even if they're not boarding yet.

I agree it was bad CS on GA part. However OP isn't entitled to downgrade compensation. His seat was rightly (though unjustly) forfeited at T-15.
Great! If that's the policy, lets start forfeiting F seats at scheduled T-15 on every flight that's delayed 30+ mins while paid F passengers spend the delay in the SC. They aren't at the gate area at scheduled T-15 so shouldn't keep their seats. Means more upgrades for us, or less crowded Sky-Clubs. Win-win-win all around!
strickerj and Smrtmom1 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Great! If that's the policy, lets start forfeiting F seats at scheduled T-15 on every flight that's delayed 30+ mins while paid F passengers spend the delay in the SC. They aren't at the gate area at scheduled T-15 so shouldn't keep their seats. Means more upgrades for us, or less crowded Sky-Clubs. Win-win-win all around!
To be fair to GA, OP inbound arrived over 3 hours late. It's likely GA saw OP was very late arriving, and wouldn't make it in time for departure. The flight then got delayed and by chance OP made it. However at point GA offloaded, OP likely had zero chance of making it.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
It may not have been the GA's fault. On long delayed flights, I have seen where the DL system will automatically rebook a traveler on the next flight and off of the original connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.