Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GA gave away my seat before boarding even started

GA gave away my seat before boarding even started

Old Jun 12, 19, 4:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, Miles & More pleb
Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
Would really be nice if sometime they could figure how to provide true real time true boarding data to pax.
Hear hear! At HUY (small regional airport in the UK) the lounge agent will personally announce when each flight is ready for boarding.

It does help that there are just 2 gates and about 10 flights a day

Thanks to both for the advice, will make sure I play it slightly safer!
Old Jun 12, 19, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Tine Rod View Post
Delta was a real gem this weekend. Flighted delayed in FLL , they claim due to weather. Connection in ATL leaves early, while our plane was de-boarding. I get automatically rebooked for my PHX flight. Lost my 15k F upgrade. Assigned a c+ seat on a flight 2 flights later. 3 hours to sleep before my meeting. Twitter rep says they owe me nothing due to weather and my upgrade was complimentary. I raised hell. Someone with sense gave me my 15k back.
IMO if you paid 15,000 RDMs for the upgrade, you had a FC ticket and DL owes you the $200 voucher for downgrade compensation (as an apology gesture) as well as the 15,000 miles to refund the fare difference.
Old Jun 12, 19, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
IMO if you paid 15,000 RDMs for the upgrade, you had a FC ticket and DL owes you the $200 voucher for downgrade compensation (as an apology gesture) as well as the 15,000 miles to refund the fare difference.
Why does DL owe a customer service gesture when the downgrade was weather related? The 15K refund, yes, absolutely, as they would also have owed a full refund if you choose not to take a trip because it has been delayed or changed due to weather. But they did not do anything wrong here.
Old Jun 12, 19, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
Did you ignore what I quoted in the CoC? Even by strict reading of the CoC (weasel words like "may" aside, which won't give Delta an out in a one-sided contract like this) OP is entitled to a partial refund of fare even if they voluntarily take a lower fare class. The $200 additional compensation is a customer service gesture.
Quite simply this is wrong. He agreed to voluntarily sit in coach on the flight. Let's put this another way, if OP had been offloaded and flight hadn't been delayed, thus was departed. OP would rebook, DL would give him options that had F available. However if he selected a flight that only had Y, it would be a voluntary downgrade, which per DL policies, (its even stated when you use the rebooking tool very cleary) means no compensation or refund is due. It's like some of you are acting like they've never used the rebooking tools, or seen multiple threads where this has come up.

Some of you are latching on to fact the flight hadn't departed. This has zero bearing on if he's due compensation. The policy is T-15 from schedule departure. The fact the flight was still around, due to it's own delay, has no bearing on it.

I'm 99% certain DL will issue a CS gesture. It was bad CS to offload before boarding had begun. However being bad CS, doesnt mean it was against policy or CoC. It doesnt change the fact that no compensation is required as no policy was broken.
Old Jun 12, 19, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by golfr View Post
I know the OP was connecting so my question doesn't really relate but when i go thru tsa and scan my bp, doesn't the gate know that i'm at the airport? Or when i check in at the SC, doesn't it show which SC i'm currrently in? If not' that's a damn shame. I don't cut it close and I'm usually around the gatewhen the boarding starts. I've yet to have the GA call my name to confirm that I'm there. My upgraded seat has yet to be given away. Knock on wood.
I've been told (dont know for sure) an agent can look and see the last place a BP was scanned. This was nearly a decade ago, and agents knew how to use the full system and not just the worthless GUI. Thus cant say if this is still the case.
golfr likes this.
Old Jun 12, 19, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
OP could've waited for next flight with F. However needed to be in before a certain time. Thus accepted C+. DL makes it quite clear when rebooking and in their policies, if you accept a lower class of service you're not entitled to compensation or refund.

I 100% think this is wrong. However it is the policy as currently written.
Old Jun 12, 19, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
It doesnt change the fact that no compensation is required as no policy was broken.
HE DID NOT FLY IN THE CLASS OF SERVICE HE PAID FOR. THEREFORE HE IS DUE A REFUND OF THE FARE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHAT HE PAID FOR AND WHAT HE RECEIVED.

End of story.
Spiff, LAX-1K, jdrtravel and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 19, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
I have no idea , I'm just pointing out that, in general, TSA and airlines communicate. I do wonder though, if I buy a ticket, print a BP, and then cancel the ticket, will I still be allowed to enter TSA? Does it check if the ticket is valid? This would seem to be a pretty important security feature, otherwise it seems like it would be easy enough to create fake QR codes.
It doesn't check if the ticket is valid. However it supposedly does verify that the QR/bar code has a valid signature embedded in it for that day.
Old Jun 12, 19, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
HE DID NOT FLY IN THE CLASS OF SERVICE HE PAID FOR. THEREFORE HE IS DUE A REFUND OF THE FARE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHAT HE PAID FOR AND WHAT HE RECEIVED.

End of story.
In an ideal world, yes. Just because it should be so doesnt mean it is so. It's the difference between living in reality vs a world where you get what you. What's bizzaro is theres been plenty of threads where this exact thing was mentioned. This isn't new, this has been DL policy for at least two years.
Old Jun 12, 19, 9:14 pm

Programs: SPG, DL
Quite simply this is wrong. He agreed to voluntarily sit in coach on the flight. Let's put this another way, if OP had been offloaded and flight hadn't been delayed, thus was departed. OP would rebook, DL would give him options that had F available. However if he selected a flight that only had Y, it would be a voluntary downgrade, which per DL policies, (its even stated when you use the rebooking tool very cleary) means no compensation or refund is due.
Except what you are saying is DIRECTLY contradicted by Delta’s COC. You keep saying this, but don’t point to or quote a single piece of evidence in support. In contrast, Rule 19 of the COC is very clear:

”If acceptable to the passenger, Delta may provide transportation in a lower class of service, in which case the passenger may be entitled to a partial refund.”

In plain English, a “voluntary downgrade” gives you a refund of fare difference (if one exists, hence the “may”).

Please either quote something contrary, or stop spreading misinformation based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever.
strickerj and ethernal like this.
Old Jun 12, 19, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I gave DL a call and asked on Twitter. We're both right and both wrong. Compensation is not due, however the difference in fare is due. No $200 voucher, but they will offer a refund of fare difference. Agent said it was something they get questioned on a good bit. Both agents said the wording could be better (which I agree with).
Old Jun 13, 19, 8:00 am

Programs: SPG, DL
I gave DL a call and asked on Twitter. We're both right and both wrong. Compensation is not due, however the difference in fare is due. No $200 voucher, but they will offer a refund of fare difference. Agent said it was something they get questioned on a good bit. Both agents said the wording could be better (which I agree with).
CoC says nothing about compensation, just partial refund. Which is what many of us have been pointing out.

Involuntary downgrade = $200 + partial refund (fare difference)

Voluntary downgrade = partial refund (fare difference)

(Of course, is any downgrade truly involuntary, since you can always demand they put you in F on a later flight, just making the "acceptance" of coach on the correct flight technically voluntary, but I digress).
Old Jun 13, 19, 8:58 am

Programs: DL DM (segs), Hilton DM, Marriott Pt, TSA Opt-out Platinum
As a former (decades ago) agent, first of all, I wouldn't release people's seats before we even boarded. That's going to lead to dupe seats and ultimately more work. For sake of argument, let's say I did do this. I would "un upgrade" the pax for the one who paid for the seat. It's the right thing to do. Hopefully this could be handled before boarding. After boarding it's a lot less "comfortable" for everyone.

I have to wonder if looking through the optics of the Dao/UA incident hasn't changed airline policy in this situation.
Old Jun 14, 19, 12:13 am

I've been told (dont know for sure) an agent can look and see the last place a BP was scanned. This was nearly a decade ago, and agents knew how to use the full system and not just the worthless GUI. Thus cant say if this is still the case.
If you understand anything about scanners, that makes no sense. How can the piece of paper tell you where it was scanned? It cannot. The piece of paper called a boarding pass has no memory.
A system can tell you where it has seen the piece of paper, but it can only tell you where it has seen the piece of paper. It does not mean nobody else has seen it, it also does not mean someone else has seen it.

If you still do not understand how ridiculous your statement is just think of all the places that scan your boarding pass: lounge, including amex; priority pass restaurants. So you are saying someone can tell you all the places that boarding pass was scanned by, um, scanning the boarding pass?
I guess this piece of paper is even better than gps
Old Jun 14, 19, 8:32 am

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
If you understand anything about scanners, that makes no sense. How can the piece of paper tell you where it was scanned? It cannot. The piece of paper called a boarding pass has no memory.
A system can tell you where it has seen the piece of paper, but it can only tell you where it has seen the piece of paper. It does not mean nobody else has seen it, it also does not mean someone else has seen it.

If you still do not understand how ridiculous your statement is just think of all the places that scan your boarding pass: lounge, including amex; priority pass restaurants. So you are saying someone can tell you all the places that boarding pass was scanned by, um, scanning the boarding pass?
I guess this piece of paper is even better than gps

Um, I think you missed the point here, this comment makes no sense. Flyerco obviously meant that an agent could look in a computer system and see the what locations a bp had been scanned.
strickerj and WillBarrett_68 like this.

Search this Thread