Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GA gave away my seat before boarding even started

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GA gave away my seat before boarding even started

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
the airline doesn't know you have passed security.

Is this for sure true?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Is this for sure true?
How would they know?
You can use a boarding pass and go to another terminal, which is not connected by airside. You can not have a boarding pass (TSA says this is "experimental" or trial). What if you use one boarding pass to enter and plan on flying on another airline?

But the easiest argument is: you think the TSA has such great IT they can talk to the airlines electronically?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:10 pm

But the easiest argument is: you think the TSA has such great IT they can talk to the airlines electronically?

Well, we know for certain that they have to coordinate pre-check, do no fly lists, etc.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:14 pm

Well, we know for certain that they have to coordinate pre-check, do no fly lists, etc.
I don't think "have to" is the proper word choice.
If they truly coordinated do you think the serial stowaway can get through security? She has no valid ticket or boarding pass. How does she do it?!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:17 pm

I don't think "have to" is the proper word choice.
If they truly coordinated do you think the serial stowaway can get through security? She has no valid ticket or boarding pass. How does she do it?!

You asked "you think the TSA has such great IT they can talk to the airlines electronically?"

I am just pointing out that TSA and the airlines communicate electronically for every single passenger already.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:20 pm

You asked "you think the TSA has such great IT they can talk to the airlines electronically?"

I am just pointing out that TSA and the airlines communicate electronically for every single passenger already.
Oh, they do?
My simple IT of verifying a ticket must not be their IT then. If they did communicate, how did the serial stowaway get into the "secured" area?
Easy enough with a name and ticket number/PNR to verify if said person actually has a ticket.

I don't know the details of how the IT works, but it probably is programmed in such a way:
Check ticket with airline.
If no response after 15 seconds, allow passenger to proceed.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
The problem is the airline doesn't actually know where you are (not that I'm voting in favour of tracking via the app). Checking in used to mean you were at the airport, at least, but nowadays it doesn't mean anything. Whether you have gone through security (they scan your boarding pass, obviously, but the airline doesn't know you have passed security).
It would be really helpful if the airline knew who was in the airport, just needs a reminder the plane is boarding, or who is hundreds of miles away.
In this case though, OP had boarded the delayed inbound flight. Surely Delta knows that?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Urrgh, im flying delta tatl for the first time in fall. I hate to be at the gate at boarding time. Planes seldom board on the dot and theres no use to wait in line (especially if you can skip it!). Does this mean I'd risk losing my seat
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Urrgh, im flying delta tatl for the first time in fall. I hate to be at the gate at boarding time. Planes seldom board on the dot and theres no use to wait in line (especially if you can skip it!). Does this mean I'd risk losing my seat
For TATL you need to be there at least at T-30 before departure, otherwise you risk being offloaded. This is about 25 minutes after they start boarding for international flights (T-55).

If you are originating or arrive to the airport with an on-time connection, you likely would not get booted off before T-15. OP was likely dropped because he was tagged as a likely misconnect.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
I agree with etherial that losing a seat is highly unlikely. There is some chance you will miss the flight thouigh. Flights do leave early sometimes, and international flights more likely than domestic (though I have been a domestic with brakes off at T-10).

I do understand what you are saying though,

One advantage of an airport like TPA where there is a decent chance you lave line of site to the gate from the SC. Would really be nice if sometime they could figure how to provide true real time true boarding data to pax.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
However compensation isn't due. What they should do (and should've done to begin with) vs what they're legally required to do, are different things.
Sigh. This part is just wrong, wrong, wrong as has been repeatedly pointed out.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

Does this happen in real time though? e.g. I had the impression that scanning is just validating the data encoded in the barcode (maybe a checksum?) that is pertinent to that trip (PNR, itinerary, whether you have PreCheck for this trip etc.)

It's certainly feasible from a technical standpoint that info from the TSA scanners, SkyClub entrance, etc. could be aggregated and made available in your PNR for the GA to see whether you've cleared security and entered a SC but that doesn't mean the systems actually are integrated in that way. Maybe it's just not common enough a pain point for them to consider it worth doing.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Does this happen in real time though? e.g. I had the impression that scanning is just validating the data encoded in the barcode (maybe a checksum?) that is pertinent to that trip (PNR, itinerary, whether you have PreCheck for this trip etc.).

I have no idea , I'm just pointing out that, in general, TSA and airlines communicate. I do wonder though, if I buy a ticket, print a BP, and then cancel the ticket, will I still be allowed to enter TSA? Does it check if the ticket is valid? This would seem to be a pretty important security feature, otherwise it seems like it would be easy enough to create fake QR codes.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I know the OP was connecting so my question doesn't really relate but when i go thru tsa and scan my bp, doesn't the gate know that i'm at the airport? Or when i check in at the SC, doesn't it show which SC i'm currrently in? If not' that's a damn shame. I don't cut it close and I'm usually around the gatewhen the boarding starts. I've yet to have the GA call my name to confirm that I'm there. My upgraded seat has yet to be given away. Knock on wood.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:05 pm

I have no idea , I'm just pointing out that, in general, TSA and airlines communicate.
RIght, there is definitely data flowing from airlines to TSA, but it's not clear A) how tightly the scanners at checkpoints are tied into that B) how frequently it refreshes or C) if any data flows in the opposite direction from TSA to airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.