Delta One missed flight question

Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Delta One missed flight question

I don't usually fly business class so I don't know anything, could you please help. My connection flight was late so I missed my Delta flight, not my fault, it was all on a Delta ticket originating in Europe going to the US. The missed flight was Delta One class Z. They put me on AF business class next day, not la premiere (I asked) and put me in a crap hotel a bit far from the airport, took an hour to get there with the shuttle bus. Is this normal? I don't know, it could be normal, just checking Also how to get a compensation, there is a European law or something, I've heard.

Thank you!
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by javabean
I don't usually fly business class so I don't know anything, could you please help. My connection flight was late so I missed my Delta flight, not my fault, it was all on a Delta ticket originating in Europe going to the US. The missed flight was Delta One class Z. They put me on AF business class next day, not la premiere (I asked) and put me in a crap hotel a bit far from the airport, took an hour to get there with the shuttle bus. Is this normal? I don't know, it could be normal, just checking Also how to get a compensation, there is a European law or something, I've heard.

Thank you!
There is no way they would put you in La Premiere, even if you had top AFKLM or DL status. Unless they were sold out for days in J, which is near impossible given their transatlantic volume of flying.

Yes, sounds normal, especially for someone without status. The hotel is what it is, if you wanted something else, best time to ask was at the airport before they issued the voucher.

With regards to EC261, this all depends on if the carrier that flew you into CDG was at fault, or if they can blame the delay on weather, ATC, etc. Why was your inbound flight delayed? What time were you supposed to arrive, what time did you arrive, and what time was your connection scheduled to depart?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Thank you!
It depends on reason for being late as to compensation . If covered you get 600Euro in cash or more in voucher, your not their choice.

Regardless of reason, they must pay for hotel, meals, and a call home.

No one gets rebooked J to La Premie as it an IFC, not J cabin.

As for hotel, you likely got out up in the wrong hotel. J/F passengers normally get put up close to hotel.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
There is no way they would put you in La Premiere, even if you had top AFKLM or DL status. Unless they were sold out for days in J, which is near impossible given their transatlantic volume of flying.

Yes, sounds normal, especially for someone without status. The hotel is what it is, if you wanted something else, best time to ask was at the airport before they issued the voucher.

With regards to EC261, this all depends on if the carrier that flew you into CDG was at fault, or if they can blame the delay on weather, ATC, etc. Why was your inbound flight delayed? What time were you supposed to arrive, what time did you arrive, and what time was your connection scheduled to depart?
They said it was delayed because "there were other planes in front of us" or something. It departed 35 min late, and arrived 30 min late. The connection was scheduled to depart 26 minutes after my delayed flight arrived.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
As delay was ATC related, no compensation is due, just duty of care.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks, guys! Oh and also I wanted to ask, I did not get an option to get my checked-in bag. That's also normal?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks, guys! Oh and also I wanted to ask, I did not get an option to get my checked-in bag. That's also normal?
Yes, that's normal. The system will direct bag for retagging to new flight.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:23 am

You could have arranged your own hotel and submitted it for reimbursement. As FlyerCo said, you were not due compensation for ATC delays. But the EU261 duty of care requires them to reimburse you for reasonable out of pocket expenses like hotel. No need for you to take their hotel arrangements.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks, flyerwma. I didn't know that.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In addition, you were not downgraded. D1 is a J product and you were rebooked into J on AF. If DL had an international F product, you would have been rebooked into AF F or been due a downgrade reimbursement.

Don't let the branded names such as D1 and LaPremiere get in the way as they are simply confusing.

I am a bit confused by your routing and the exact facts would be helpful. As I understand it, you originated from some place in Europe and connected to DL, presumably at CDG. If that is the case, it is the other carrier bringing you to CDG which owed you the duty of care. If DL/AF supplied that, all the better.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
In addition, you were not downgraded. D1 is a J product and you were rebooked into J on AF. If DL had an international F product, you would have been rebooked into AF F or been due a downgrade reimbursement.

Don't let the branded names such as D1 and LaPremiere get in the way as they are simply confusing.

I am a bit confused by your routing and the exact facts would be helpful. As I understand it, you originated from some place in Europe and connected to DL, presumably at CDG. If that is the case, it is the other carrier bringing you to CDG which owed you the duty of care. If DL/AF supplied that, all the better.
>> I am a bit confused by your routing and the exact facts would be helpful. As I understand it, you originated from some place in Europe and connected to DL, presumably at CDG. If that is the case, it is the other carrier bringing you to CDG which owed you the duty of care. If DL/AF supplied that, all the better.

It was: somewhere in Europe-AMS-U.S. on Delta, first flight via KLM connecting in AMS originally, then I got re-routed AMS-CDG-U.S. on AF
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:20 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Get travel insurance next time so you dont have to beg
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Thank you!
There has been some very bad weather in parts of Europe the past couple of days with a lot of delayed / cancelled flights and so when it comes to hotels airlines have to take what they can get. In an ideal world they would have put you up at a hotel close to the airport but it's not always possible in an ideal world.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Get travel insurance next time so you dont have to beg
I don't buy travel insurance, but a serious question. Is it that easy with travel insurance, just book whatever you would to take care of yourself, no hassle in claiming it?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by flyerwma
You could have arranged your own hotel and submitted it for reimbursement. As FlyerCo said, you were not due compensation for ATC delays. But the EU261 duty of care requires them to reimburse you for reasonable out of pocket expenses like hotel. No need for you to take their hotel arrangements.
There is nothing in the Regulation which requires this and, if you choose to make your own arrangements when the carrier causing the delay has offered them to you, you do so at your own risk.

Some carriers may reimburse, others may reimburse up to their cost, and others may not reimburse at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.