Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta One missed flight question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Wimsta
This thread made me curious about travel insurance, so I tried to start a failed thread on that.

I'm just curious, for those who've responded about insurance, if you would say something about your providers and how you've selected them.

It seems that the big draw would be added convenience over waiting for vouchers and being able to choose in your own accommodations, am I missing anything?
I use my credit card. Most premium cards have it (notably absent is Amex), although when benefits kick in and coverage varies.

I generally use my Chase Sapphire Reserve (especially when just taxes on an award flight), but when I'm not as concerned about delays, the 5x MR from Amex Plat is tough to pass up.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:22 pm

I'm just curious, for those who've responded about insurance, if you would say something about your providers and how you've selected them.
I only bought insurance once, for my scuba diving trip (not many cover "extreme" sports like scuba diving, so there's limited selection)

as someone else mentioned above, it's bigger risk than my normal leisure trips

It seems that the big draw would be added convenience over waiting for vouchers and being able to choose in your own accommodations, am I missing anything?
the big negative is that you have to do paperwork to file/claim insurance. it's at least an hour of work

you can self-insure (set aside $5 per trip in your savings account)
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Thanks for responding to the thread-jack, I appreciate the thoughtfulness and help being offered.

I've spent most of my life traveling on a shoestring. The last two years have been something of an evolution for me. The first notable change was that I would rarely try to non-rev anymore. I don't have the time for playing standby anymore. The second has been realizing the value of comfort in travel.

More recently I've become the primary care-giver (though she doesn't need much) for my 73 year-old mother. She still loves to travel, but it changes the focus on comfort even more.

Last year when AF cancelled our flight due to the strikes, was the first time I ever really wondered if insurance would have been an improvement. The compensation, by EU rules, worked (though it was time consuming).

I could see buying annual coverage, if for nothing but peace of mind, but I'm not sure what it would do for me. Hence the responses I was seeing piquing my interest.

Mostly, however, it seems that there is no consensus on "best practice" and if I do decide to go on the insurance route I should do some research. Maybe the mod moving the thread I started to a different forum would be helpful for that.

Only last question here, does status on DL ultimately help in responding to issues when the come up?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes status helps. With DL, CS responds to emails quickerforthose with status. Also what you get is generally increased. I can tell you that as a DM I get hotels paid for even when it not DL fault.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: DL PM

Only last question here, does status on DL ultimately help in responding to issues when the come up?
Yes, in my experience.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes status helps. With DL, CS responds to emails quickerforthose with status. Also what you get is generally increased. I can tell you that as a DM I get hotels paid for even when it not DL fault.
And it is not uncommon for those with status, particularly at the higher levels, to have policies waived in order to be accommodated when things go awry and/or travel plans change.
Wimsta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.