Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fun ways to save money on DL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by defrosted
A while back I tried to "spice it up" by flying non stop on Southwest instead of Delta connecting.... get home sooner I figured. Well spiced it up I did, delayed so much I would have got home sooner on Delta with the connection. And this was before they grounded their MAX planes. I am all for spicing it up, but the try a different airline thing was a fail for me. YMMV
Well let's be reasonable here... counting on WN was your mistake in the first place I've had the same happen last year on a SAN-RNO flight last year. WN is the only option for non-stops on that route, but when they canceled my flight the night before at T-12, I just had them refund my ticket and I flew home on DL. If I'm going to have a stop on that route, I might as well get 1000 MQM out of it.

It's really only when I'm flying international that I try to mix it up, usually with a DL/SkyTeam partner. This summer I'm booked on a mix of D1/WBC with DL and KLM on a JFK-DUB itinerary just to try something different and not fly the same 764 D1 product both ways.
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TuxTom
Well let's be reasonable here... counting on WN was your mistake in the first place I've had the same happen last year on a SAN-RNO flight last year. WN is the only option for non-stops on that route, but when they canceled my flight the night before at T-12, I just had them refund my ticket and I flew home on DL. If I'm going to have a stop on that route, I might as well get 1000 MQM out of it.

You are right, I concede that was totally my mistake.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Sometimes the airfares from the US to the major Scandinavian cities are considerable less than those to AMS and CDG. Three or four years ago I planned a two-week trip to Paris but booked MSP-CPH-MSP, with connections in AMS on the outbound and CDG on the return. IIRC, the fare difference was around $800, half of which bought me a rail pass. I enjoyed a couple of days in Copenhagen, then took the train, my favorite kind of transportation, to and from Paris. I probably could have saved more with budget flights, but the train travel was part of the fun.
Yep, I just did SLC-CPH for $580 roundtrip. My final destination was Berlin, so I took a $59 Easyjet flight CPH-TXL - much better than the $1350 everyone was charging for SLC-TXL. The extra few days in Copenhagen and Malmo were an added bonus.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond / Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Wimsta
I enjoy traveling, even IROPS, so I sometimes do things that are crazy to most people, but I travel more and spend less (which is a combination I like as much as chocolate and peanut butter).

So, today when I booked my flight CHA-ATL-PIT r/t to save money over the ATL-PIT route I wondered what are some of the other oddities that people experience?

I'll save about $200 and get an extra 1000 MQMs for an extra 45 minutes (or so) on the road early in the morning and again late at night, and its all worth it because I get to experience CHA for the first time.

What are some fun ways you save money on DL?

long been talk about a train connecting Chattanooga and Atlanta. Could you imagine taking a bullet train to cha to fly back to ATL to connect?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by mtsublueraider

long been talk about a train connecting Chattanooga and Atlanta. Could you imagine taking a bullet train to cha to fly back to ATL to connect?
Somehow I can.

What I can't imagine is ever taking MARTA from Kennesaw to ATL>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.