Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

35,000 Skymiles for no power or AVOD in D1 Suites on DL A350 LAX-HND

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:03 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

It was a fun time being a DL diamond for a few years until they got rid of the AMEX Waiver. I switched to OW now since almost all of my travel is international and the FC lounges at LAX, LHR, & HKG are out of this world.

I had 2 GUCs that were going to expire shortly so I figured I'd use them on the new A350 LAX-HND for a nice 5 day weekend to eat sushi and wagyu! (Literally, that's all I pretty much did over there as it IS my favorite country in the world for food) hah!

I flew SQ's new A350 SIN-LAX in Feb coming home from a month in Bali and had a FANTASTIC flight so I wanted to see what DL's suites were all about.

Here is a copy of the complaint I sent DL:

I booked this flight for one reason--to experience the amazing brand-new and highly touted Flagship D1 Suites on the A350.

After flying Singapore AIrlines new A350 on a 16-hr flight in February I wanted to see how Delta stacked up!

I was looking forward to this exciting experience and got even more excited when the flight crew addressed the boarding area prior to boarding touting the awesomeness of this Flagship aircraft and all of its amazing features.

I boarded, and everything was seemingly fine.

After take-off, I plugged my phone charger into the outlet to charge and there was no power. Every thing else worked at this point.

There were a few other seats in D1 that were having some very weird individual problems like no audio, lighting, etc. so the Purser, an AMAZING HUMAN BEING BY THE NAME OF MENDY, tried to reset the system.

She re-set the system and my entire screen went blank and never came back on--and the power outlet still did not work.

She tried re-setting the system over 8 times over a THREE-HOUR period contacting maintenance in Atlanta multiple times. Bless her heart she seemed so embarrassed and truly empathetic for myself and the other passengers in D1 who werent able to get power or AVOD to work.

So, we had to simply give up. She took my phone from me and my laptop at separate times to charge as I had a few hours of work that needed to be done by the time I landed in Tokyo but it was immensely frustrating and disappointing that this happened on a brand new aircraft.

Again, the Purser, Mendy, was AMAZING AND KIND, but told me I needed to send in a complaint about the outlet and screen not working for the entire 11.5-hr flight.

She showed me the very long hand written log that she wrote for them to fix the seats that had the problems and that she couldnt apologize enough for the inconvenience of having no outlet and AVOD to watch during such a long flight.

Mendy pro-actively gave me 15,000 SkyMiles onboard with the iphone app they use.

DL customer service just called today and awarded 20,000 Miles.

Not too bad.....I only got 20,000 BA Avios for an inoperable AVOD in BA First Class LHR-BOM last year.

Still a shocker that I had this problem on a brand new bird, but kudos to DL for awarding me some SkyPesos that I will use for short-hop travel around the West Coast!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by 355F1
It was a fun time being a DL diamond for a few years until they got rid of the AMEX Waiver. I switched to OW now since almost all of my travel is international and the FC lounges at LAX, LHR, & HKG are out of this world.

I had 2 GUCs that were going to expire shortly so I figured I'd use them on the new A350 LAX-HND for a nice 5 day weekend to eat sushi and wagyu! (Literally, that's all I pretty much did over there as it IS my favorite country in the world for food) hah!

I flew SQ's new A350 SIN-LAX in Feb coming home from a month in Bali and had a FANTASTIC flight so I wanted to see what DL's suites were all about.

Here is a copy of the complaint I sent DL:

I booked this flight for one reason--to experience the amazing brand-new and highly touted Flagship D1 Suites on the A350.

After flying Singapore AIrlines new A350 on a 16-hr flight in February I wanted to see how Delta stacked up!

I was looking forward to this exciting experience and got even more excited when the flight crew addressed the boarding area prior to boarding touting the awesomeness of this Flagship aircraft and all of its amazing features.

I boarded, and everything was seemingly fine.

After take-off, I plugged my phone charger into the outlet to charge and there was no power. Every thing else worked at this point.

There were a few other seats in D1 that were having some very weird individual problems like no audio, lighting, etc. so the Purser, an AMAZING HUMAN BEING BY THE NAME OF MENDY, tried to reset the system.

She re-set the system and my entire screen went blank and never came back on--and the power outlet still did not work.

She tried re-setting the system over 8 times over a THREE-HOUR period contacting maintenance in Atlanta multiple times. Bless her heart she seemed so embarrassed and truly empathetic for myself and the other passengers in D1 who werent able to get power or AVOD to work.

So, we had to simply give up. She took my phone from me and my laptop at separate times to charge as I had a few hours of work that needed to be done by the time I landed in Tokyo but it was immensely frustrating and disappointing that this happened on a brand new aircraft.

Again, the Purser, Mendy, was AMAZING AND KIND, but told me I needed to send in a complaint about the outlet and screen not working for the entire 11.5-hr flight.

She showed me the very long hand written log that she wrote for them to fix the seats that had the problems and that she couldnt apologize enough for the inconvenience of having no outlet and AVOD to watch during such a long flight.

Mendy pro-actively gave me 15,000 SkyMiles onboard with the iphone app they use.

DL customer service just called today and awarded 20,000 Miles.

Not too bad.....I only got 20,000 BA Avios for an inoperable AVOD in BA First Class LHR-BOM last year.

Still a shocker that I had this problem on a brand new bird, but kudos to DL for awarding me some SkyPesos that I will use for short-hop travel around the West Coast!
Glad it worked for you, did you know there is a thread dedicated just to compensation?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:04 am

seems like they have so many issues with the new 350. when i flew home last month the wifi did not work for the whole plane. don't know why they are having so many problems. i mean this is a brand new plane. can't even imagine what's gonna happen in the next few months :-(
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by frankflieslots
seems like they have so many issues with the new 350. when i flew home last month the wifi did not work for the whole plane. don't know why they are having so many problems. i mean this is a brand new plane. can't even imagine what's gonna happen in the next few months :-(
Can you "imagine" they may actually get it fixed or is that too much to ask or hope for?
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had similar issues on an A350 with HK Air. Maybe the interiors on these planes are problematic?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
The is the perfect format for a complaint.
You stayed balanced and complimented the things/people that deserved it as well.
Well done! And you got duly rewarded for it.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Bootman4U
Can you "imagine" they may actually get it fixed or is that too much to ask or hope for?
hahaha. might be too much to ask for.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by josephstern
I had similar issues on an A350 with HK Air. Maybe the interiors on these planes are problematic?
Yes, interior problems with the A350 are endemic. CX has also been having serious issues, most notably with lavatory fitting quality. The two year old aircraft I flew last week looked like a 30 year old 767.

The exact issues seem to vary carrier by carrier, but the aircraft definitely seems to have had a sightly rough launch from a quality perspective.

Some of the problems can be operational, too. I recently had a 14 hour ATL-ICN with no running water for the whole flight. The captain’s theory was that the refill valve was left open on the ground in ATL for the water system, causing it to freeze when we got aloft. That was reinforced by the water starting to work again once we landed...

Given the mileage awarded in this thread, maybe I should have sent in a complaint about that incident - the IFE also failed several times throughout the flight in addition to the water issues.
josephstern likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Interesting to read — I’ve had a few flights on KL 787s and while there haven’t been mechanical problems that I’ve experienced, one of the earliest delivered was showing some real signs of wear and tear - duct tape patches on bulkhead trim, tattered carpet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.