Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Concourse D gates appallingly filthy and run down -- worse than a bus station

Delta Concourse D gates appallingly filthy and run down -- worse than a bus station

Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I just flew out of D yesterday to SJC. First time in D in a long time (honestly I don’t remember ever flying out of D). It was pretty chaotic- line out the door at the SC, hallways packed to the gills with people boarding. My gate didn’t even have 2 boarding lanes. Does this make ATL a dump? Certainly not. But did it make it the worst experience I’ve had in ATL? Easily.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brillb
They built the new F terminal and a road network that fixed a top international complaint, no local exit and rescreening before you could leave.
Pretty embarrassing that there's no transit connection to the international terminal at the "world's busiest airport" apart from a small shuttle bus to the (outdated) Marta station.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ajl1239
Pretty embarrassing that there's no transit connection to the international terminal at the "world's busiest airport" apart from a small shuttle bus to the (outdated) Marta station.
Yeah, too bad we can't have a public bus to get to the closest rail station that isn't even at the airport like IAD or LAX.

Or have to take two trains to either the subway or commuter rail station that maybe (maybe not) gets you to the right part of the city without two more transfers like JFK.

The shuttle bus isn't ideal, but neither are the solutions at many other airports. The fact that you need to take a shuttle from the airport terminal to either a rental car center or public transit is simply not a differentiator that makes ATL significantly better or worse than other major airports. Not to mention that for domestic arriving pax, both MARTA and the Rental Car Center are exceptionally more convenient than the majority of other places I've seen.
CPMaverick and emrdoc like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:14 pm

"the (outdated) marta station" is the weirdest complaint in your laundry list. who cares what the marta station is like? You're there for like 3 minutes max.
gooselee and CalebMCO like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
"the (outdated) marta station" is the weirdest complaint in your laundry list. who cares what the marta station is like? You're there for like 3 minutes max.
OP seems deadset to put a negative qualifier before every noun in every post...
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
OP seems deadset to put a negative qualifier before every noun in every post...
Haters gonna hate.
CPMaverick and gooselee like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Three minutes? How about more like 20 when waiting for the train to depart?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm convinced at this point that OP's senses are just too fragile for either ATL or the City of Atlanta. Should probably just fly private to LZU and hire a town car while staying in Gwinnett County.

Also don't go outside here I guess ever. The only time the temperature is in Goldilocks range, our pollen count is like 8000.

The rest of us will continue struggling to survive through our existence here. Send thoughts and prayers, please.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by ajl1239
Three minutes? How about more like 20 when waiting for the train to depart?
Hyperbole abounds.

Never waited close to as long as 20 minutes for the plane train, ever. Short of a breakdown of some type your statement is categorically false.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
I'm convinced at this point that OP's senses are just too fragile for either ATL or the City of Atlanta. Should probably just fly private to LZU and hire a town car while staying in Gwinnett County.

Also don't go outside here I guess ever. The only time the temperature is in Goldilocks range, our pollen count is like 8000.

The rest of us will continue struggling to survive through our existence here. Send thoughts and prayers, please.

They don't call it Hotlanta for nothing. The tunnels are supposed to get hot!
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by defrosted
Hyperbole abounds.

Never waited close to as long as 20 minutes for the plane train, ever. Short of a breakdown of some type your statement is categorically false.
To be fair, I think OP was referencing MARTA, which does run at 15-minute intervals certain times of day (and on weekends).

But with Airport being the end of the line, there's almost always a train sitting there waiting to depart. So even if you've just missed a train and are waiting for the max 15 minutes, you're usually doing so sitting down in an air conditioned train car.

And FWIW, I find MARTA trains much more pleasant than the NYC subway and Chicago CTA. Until recently I also found the older BART trains to be pretty dingy. Also, it's public transit...not really expecting to be in the lap of luxury when I go through that turnstile.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
To be fair, I think OP was referencing MARTA, which does run at 15-minute intervals certain times of day (and on weekends).
Fair enough, I apologize.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Aaaahhh nothing like re-experiencing the hell of 35-X at DCA to appreciate the luxury of the D gates at ATL...
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Aaaahhh nothing like re-experiencing the hell of 35-X at DCA to appreciate the luxury of the D gates at ATL...
hahaha. I guess it's all relative. Had the pleasure of experiencing Terminal D again today. Crowded AF. I would take EWR Terminal 2 over ATL D.
NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Life Diamond, Hertz Presidents, former US former Charimans
I'm struggling with this also. Aren't all subway stations, worldwide, frozen in the time that they were built? Think about the Park St station on the Green Line in Boston, where you actually walk on the tracks in front of the train, courtesy of its 1897 construction. I mean, they should do something about that, trains are dangerous to walk in front of. A modern station like the London Jubilee Line would have doors to stop you from falling on the track. But even the Jubilee line will forever be a 1990's aesthetic. Similarly Unter den Linden/Brandenburger Tor will forever be a 1930s station, and people love it for that. Maybe eventually the 1970s/80s aesthetic of the Atlanta subway will be nostalgic?
gooselee likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.