Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"champagne" in delta one between jfk and zrh

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"champagne" in delta one between jfk and zrh

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I wish people focussed on the taste of the wine rather than the price.

I've had expensive wines that have tasted awful and cheap wines that have been phenomenal.
True for us all. I have had some amazing wines that I have bought on closeout for under $5 and I am usually very receptive to cheap wines at home so long as it does not taste too terrible. Although, price and taste are not causal, there is correlation in that generally higher priced wines are of higher quality (although that is definitely not guaranteed). DL's wine buying has seemed to follow that correlation in that as the spending has decreased, so has the taste. I have bought some really awful wines in my life, but probably the worst wines I have ever had have been on DL flights (the white they served out of the box on intl flights in Y circa 2012, one of the dessert wines (not the port) from last summer in D1, and a few wines in domestic F in the last 12 months).
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: Delta, Chase UR, Hyatt
Originally Posted by nrr
Over a 50 year period I've visited Reims and Epernay many times and visited many of the "big" champagne producers, at the end of the tour you get to sample (for a fee) some nice champagne--I'm certain none of these had apple under/over tones.
Yes, what I was served in flight was (as noted in 8 ) Gardet.
What is most annoying (to me) is that AA in their Flagship lounge and DL in the SC serves some nice champagne, yet on the plane they serve stuff of lesser quality.
Apple is a common note to find in champagnes with a decent percentage of Pinot Noir. Blanc de blancs on the other hand tends to show more notes of citrus and chalk. All of the champagnes you cite unarguably exhibit apple notes.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by The Situation
I think I do have realistic expectations...perhaps a $20-$25 retail wine in intl J and $10 retail wine in domestic F.
I think this is low. D1 seats sell for thousands of dollars and the wine quality should reflect that. While I agree that price is not always linked to quality, it often is. I would say that D1 wines should be more in the $30-$50 range, domestic F, which is increasingly paid for rather than given away, should be in the $20 range, and coach should be more in the $10 range.

As one rough guide, restaurants often charge the wholesale price they paid for one bottle for one glass (so if you pay $15 for a glass, that's what they paid for whole bottle). Delta sells wine in coach for $9 per glass, so this should be about the wholesale price per bottle of that wine.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:19 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by free_whine
Apple is a common note to find in champagnes with a decent percentage of Pinot Noir. Blanc de blancs on the other hand tends to show more notes of citrus and chalk. All of the champagnes you cite unarguably exhibit apple notes.
Yes, but not as "strong" as what DL served on my most recent flight.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Yes, but not as "strong" as what DL served on my most recent flight.
But your point wasn’t that you don’t like apple notes, but that it was a mark of poor quality. I don’t really care for Dom, but it is still a quality wine.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I think this is low. D1 seats sell for thousands of dollars and the wine quality should reflect that. While I agree that price is not always linked to quality, it often is. I would say that D1 wines should be more in the $30-$50 range, domestic F, which is increasingly paid for rather than given away, should be in the $20 range, and coach should be more in the $10 range.

As one rough guide, restaurants often charge the wholesale price they paid for one bottle for one glass (so if you pay $15 for a glass, that's what they paid for whole bottle). Delta sells wine in coach for $9 per glass, so this should be about the wholesale price per bottle of that wine.
Well if the wine in domestic F was that good, I think I could singlehandedly drink DL into chapter 11 again And while I totally agree that D1 wines should be in the $30-$50 range, I don't expect them to be.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation
Well if the wine in domestic F was that good, I think I could singlehandedly drink DL into chapter 11 again.
Keep in mind that DL has enormous buying power. They should be able to source wines that retail in the $20 range for much less. I think the markup is usually about 30%, so they can get that bottle for $14. At 4 glasses a bottle thats $3.50 per glass. I don't think that's an unreasonable cost for domestic F, and DL may be able to do better (maybe much better) than a 30% discount from the retail price, driving that cost down further.
MSPeconomist and Thysk like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bgriff
I think the OP is saying the menu describes the champagne on offer as having notes of apple. That is different from having a flavored sparkling beverage (or the cheap PDB stuff).

To the OP: lots of fancy wines and champagnes are described by wine enthusiasts of "having notes of" or "tastes of" various things -- different fruits, spices, even things like smoke or leather. These are all natural byproducts of the winemaking process and don't mean anything has been added or flavored in the wine. Delta's D1 international champagne -- once up at altitude, not the cheaper stuff served pre-departure -- is a perfectly respectable champagne offering for international business class.
Wet tennis balls,
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
OP, respectfully, your post makes no sense to me. There is no artificial flavoring added. Some of the best Champagnes, such as Krug, are often described by sommeliers as having apple notes on the nose and palate.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:44 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
OP, respectfully, your post makes no sense to me. There is no artificial flavoring added. Some of the best Champagnes, such as Krug, are often described by sommeliers as having apple notes on the nose and palate.
There is a difference between SOME flavoring of apple and INTENSE apple overtones.
As I noted (upthread) I've visited lots of Champagne houses in France and drunk many "upscale" champagnes at "upscale" brunches as well as lounges (AA, BA, DL) and in general none of these had OVERPOWERING apple flavoring like the stuff DL served on my recent flts between JFK and ZRH.
I never implied that there was apple flavoring added to what I was served.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:28 pm

This entire thread reminds me of a man I once knew who was a "wine expert'. So we poured 3 buck chuck into an expensive bottle and let him spend the next half an hour extolling it's virtues.

(And by the way ANY champagne or wine is going to taste different at 30,000 LOL! )

It's an airplane not a Michelin restaurant!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter

It's an airplane not a Michelin restaurant!
I'm not a fan of this sentiment which is repeated in various forms ad nauseam on FT. While air travel certainly does pose certain challenges to food service, experiences tells us that it is certainly possible to serve excellent food & drink in-flight. Whether or not DL's various food programs qualify as excellent, or whether or not they should be that way is a matter of debate, but it really has nothing to do with it being an airplane.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I'm not a fan of this sentiment which is repeated in various forms ad nauseam on FT. While air travel certainly does pose certain challenges to food service, experiences tells us that it is certainly possible to serve excellent food & drink in-flight. Whether or not DL's various food programs qualify as excellent, or whether or not they should be that way is a matter of debate, but it really has nothing to do with it being an airplane.
I have never had “excellent” food on any flight with any carrier. It might be theoretically possible, but I don’t think it probable.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Smell and thus tasted are effected by altitude. It's been well documented.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette

I have never had “excellent” food on any flight with any carrier. It might be theoretically possible, but I don’t think it probable.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Smell and thus tasted are effected by altitude. It's been well documented.

Right, I said that air travel poses challenges. But take a look at the trip reports forum and you will see that it is certainly possible to do much, much better than the typical Delta meal. And I'm not speaking about IFC, I'm talking about other J products.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.