FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Atlanta air traffic (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1972534-atlanta-air-traffic.html)

fotographer Jun 6, 2019 2:43 am

Originally Posted by defrosted (Post 31169117)
What? I like the plane train. Maybe just to see all the people that don't heed the warnings to hold on and then they almost fall over when it starts to move.

I can stand the announcements they make on the train..."A is XQCWWWC. B is for %#T$TG$" I am sure you understand what I am saying
because under my breath, I am coming up with my own wordage.. which of course annoys my wife when we travel together

fotographer Jun 6, 2019 2:47 am

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT (Post 31173899)
Also in Atlanta, but am surprised to see that AA is your preferred airline. Why is that coming from ATL? Don't you have trouble with frequency, etc.? I'd love to fly multiple airlines, but Delta sort of forces us to fly them, you know?

It has been since I moved here form Los Angeles back in 1996, it helps that I work for myself,
Hey, my wife who was a PLT on DL for years and years, she joined with me on AA, now she is EXP,
her upgrades are so far this year 100%, while she was with DL. about 5%.(and she works for a major shipping company based out ATL)

Bear96 Jun 6, 2019 9:55 am

Originally Posted by GlobeTrttr83 (Post 31170211)
A good site to peruse for “then & now” photos is here:
https://www.sunshineskies.com/atl-history.html

The footprint of the old hub and spoke terminal design is visible is some satellite images today on the north side of the field, where the Renaissance Hotel and Delta HQ campus are currently.

The 5 parallel runways were designed for the jet age in the late 1970s and this has served ATL well with managing and recovering from major weather delays, etc.

Wow what an incredible site! Thanks for sharing it (even though it just cost me a couple of hours of my life, but in a good way :D ). I learned a lot - for example, I never knew ATL had the IAD-like mobile lounges at one point. The city and airport planners were amazingly very forward-thinking a few decades ago.

I echo the sentiment here, ATL is almost incomprehensibly huge, and is certainly not perfect, but it generally does an amazing job of moving such a massive volume of passengers and aircraft through it every day. (No way will I book less than an hour connection there though - I am amazed at some of the short connection times I see on many itineraries when I go to book on Delta's website. I think I have seen like 39 mins., and I think the dom-dom MCT is :35?? Very risky IMO - the place is just too big.)

ecaarch Jun 6, 2019 10:21 am

Originally Posted by fotographer (Post 31175537)
I can stand the announcements they make on the train..."A is XQCWWWC. B is for %#T$TG$" I am sure you understand what I am saying
because under my breath, I am coming up with my own wordage.. which of course annoys my wife when we travel together

Prior to implementing the current announcements, they had shorter announcements that said, "Next stop, concourse B." The problem was that in a crowded car full of people talking, the announcements (over a relatively poor quality speaker system) couldn't be understood. "Concourse T" sounded just like "Concourse B" sounded just like "Concourse C" sounded just like "Concourse D" sounded just like "Concourse E".

I def applauded the change in announcements. Are the longer announcements overkill? Maybe, but remember that ATL has to move a LOT of people around, and anything that can be done to make things absolutely clear helps that movement to be efficient. I'll take annoying over inefficient any day. :rolleyes:

WillBarrett_68 Jun 6, 2019 12:34 pm

complaining about "A as in Alpha" on the plane train announcement is a shoe-in hall of fame entry https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ain-about.html

orca15 Jun 6, 2019 1:11 pm

ATL is a great airport for connecting. Not so much for an end point, but I rarely stop there. Every time I go somewhere else and walk much farther at a much smaller terminal, or have to take a bus to the other terminal (yeah, that's you JFK and LAX) I salute ATL in my head.

Oh, and it's the one place I go where there is a small chance my gate is not at the very end of the terminal ;)

ncwillett Jun 6, 2019 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin (Post 31167713)
And it might not be there in its current form if Birmingham did not "fumble" it away...
https://www.cbs42.com/news/cbs-42-in...lta/1180005047

I read once that there are vague, long range plans for yet another concourse, presumably to be named concourse G. Given how spread out the airport is from T to F already, G would end up in near Birmingham anyway so the city might still get their chance for a piece of the pie, LOL. ;)

Zorak Jun 6, 2019 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by ncwillett (Post 31177807)
I read once that there are vague, long range plans for yet another concourse, presumably to be named concourse G. Given how spread out the airport is from T to F already, G would end up in near Birmingham anyway so the city might still get their chance for a piece of the pie, LOL. ;)

I thought the long term plans included not only G but also an H and I.

WillBarrett_68 Jun 6, 2019 6:22 pm

Nit: T is the closest to Birmingham and F is the furthest, so G would be even further. :)

emma dog Jun 6, 2019 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by ncwillett (Post 31177807)

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 31177860)
I thought the long term plans included not only G but also an H and I.

Warning: Pedantic reply

The additional terminals will be east of the international terminal. Therefore we’ll be in Augusta.

Ok, I’ll do it for you: :rolleyes:

FlyBitcoin Jun 6, 2019 7:07 pm

Concourse T expanding in both directions is the most likely next step
https://www.ajc.com/business/hartsfi...dd-more-gates/
The South extension of T rumored to be new home for Jet Blue.

sydneyracquelle Jun 6, 2019 7:26 pm

Who came up with the dumb idea of ordering T before A, B, C, D and E?? This is by far the most confusing thing to out of towners.

kdonnel Jun 6, 2019 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 31178064)
Who came up with the dumb idea of ordering T before A, B, C, D and E?? This is by far the most confusing thing to out of towners.

I think time is responsible.

It was the international concourse in the beginning. When E was built it no longer served as the international concourse so it needed a letter. It is very close to Ticketing so T.

Otherwise they could have renamed all the concourses.

b0nd0 Jun 6, 2019 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by kdonnel (Post 31178077)
I think time is responsible.

It was the international concourse in the beginning. When E was built it no longer served as the international concourse so it needed a letter. It is very close to Ticketing so T.

Otherwise they could have renamed all the concourses.

I always thought T stood for Terminal as in Concourse T connected to the Terminal - i have also heard the T gates called Terminal Gates. Perhaps T is for Terminus as in the Terminus of the Plane Train......

I like T for Ticketing as well.

FlyBitcoin Jun 6, 2019 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by b0nd0 (Post 31178149)
I always thought T stood for Terminal as in Concourse T connected to the Terminal - i have also heard the T gates called Terminal Gates. Perhaps T is for Terminus as in the Terminus of the Plane Train......

I like T for Ticketing as well.

Atlanta itself was known as "Terminus" in the 1800's for the confluence of rail lines that terminated there.

So "T" likely is a nod to that history as well.

It was always "T". When it was "International" and afterwards.