Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta has a list of focus cities, and some are surprising

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta has a list of focus cities, and some are surprising

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Surprised to see no mention of ORD as yet. DL plans to beef up O'Hare, especially when they move over to a newly expanded Terminal 5 in a couple of years.They are said to be building the biggest SkyClub in the system @ T5. DL will never be Chicago's #1 network carrier for obvious reasons but they want to fly a bigger flag here and a lot of the AA/UA-captive customer base wants them to do it. They're opening non-spoke routes like ORD-BOS and ORD-SEA. Even just connecting Chicago to all these other alleged "focus cities" would be huge.
winter1631 and rowenb like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:09 am

Looks like their online flight map directory is updated with BOS as a hub!

https://dl.fltmaps.com/en

Oddly enough, CVG is still listed as one as well. Won't expect to see NRT on there for long either.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:13 am

While CVG shows experience every other city listed shows potential.

CVG may be a focus solely based on legacy brand loyalty and longtime business contracts. Otherwise RIP CVG.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Delta: “we aspire to grow our operations in this list of cities we’re focusing on.”
FlyerTalk: “those cities can’t be focus cities - they don’t have much service yet!”

This list makes total sense all around. Particularly SJC, which gives Delta some fresh real estate to grow in the Bay Area outside of the multiple constraints of SFO. But overall, this list of focus cities can also be viewed as just a list of growing cities - BNA, RDU, AUS are all growing really rapidly.

Through that lens, the odd one out is actually CVG, but that can be explained by the legacy of the former hub. And I do think there’s space there for Delta to continue to be the leading carrier in town and maybe even grow back a bit - it’s certainly fared better than STL/MEM/PIT post dehubbing, and there’s enough local business traffic to keep a modest sized operation heathy.

Of course there are other cities with tons of service, including leisure destinations like LAS and MCO. But all Delta is telling us here is that they believe service in those cities is already about right and that they don’t think more resources are required for growth there.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
Surprised to see no mention of ORD as yet. DL plans to beef up O'Hare, especially when they move over to a newly expanded Terminal 5 in a couple of years.They are said to be building the biggest SkyClub in the system @ T5. DL will never be Chicago's #1 network carrier for obvious reasons but they want to fly a bigger flag here and a lot of the AA/UA-captive customer base wants them to do it. They're opening non-spoke routes like ORD-BOS and ORD-SEA. Even just connecting Chicago to all these other alleged "focus cities" would be huge.
Maybe ORD is two things...first it's being added as a destination from focus cities & smaller hubs so it's almost sneaking up as a focus city.
Second, if it seems like DL is playing offense in ORD it makes UA/AA and just across town WN play Defense. And they probably aren't looking for or ready for that if they're also gearing up in AUS, SJC, BNA etc.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BenA
Delta: “we aspire to grow our operations in this list of cities we’re focusing on.”
FlyerTalk: “those cities can’t be focus cities - they don’t have much service yet!”

Exactly!

I thought focus city meant they are focusing their efforts, both marketing and operationally, to increase the business they have in those cities. I am really not understanding all the posts saying it can't be a focus city because of X and Y.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by kop84
Don't all of those cities have robust or growing tech sectors? That would be the common theme at least at first glance.
Exactly. DL is pretty much choosing every growing area (and/or tech city) and calling them focus cities. I think it's more to get free press than anything else. It remains to be see what they actually do. With the current economic climate, things are dicey to say the least.

The reality is that neither AUS (10 destinations N/S) or BNA (12) have any destinations served by DL that aren't already DL hubs or other DL focus cities. By that rationale, there are a lot more "focus cities" out there... IND with an Int'l flight and 13 destinations (at least one is 1x weekly), should certainly be one of them.

SJC isn't even worth a discussion in the DL network right now. But if calling it a focus city gets an RDU-SJC non-stop, I'm all for it! Heck, call it a hub!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HDQDD
The reality is that neither AUS (10 destinations N/S) or BNA (12) have any destinations served by DL that aren't already DL hubs or other DL focus cities. By that rationale, there are a lot more "focus cities" out there... IND with an Int'l flight and 13 destinations (at least one is 1x weekly), should certainly be one of them.
IND had been a long standing focus city dating back to the NW days. I suspect it’s now at the point where DL is happy with their business and capacity there, though.

I think it’s worth reiterating this is just an internal label. Once upon a time, the “focus city” designation mattered because it determined cities where connections were permitted in routing rules in fares. But now, DL almost always publishes specific constructed routes, and those lists of cities don't match the designations anymore. (For example, LAS sometimes shows up as a permitted connecting city, but AUS and RDU rarely seem to.)
rowenb likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
I think part of the reason that SJC is seeing so much domestic seat growth is the upgauges of RJs to the A220, especially on SEA/SLC-SJC. This will be the first year DL operates mainline on SEA-SJC. Highly doubt that they're looking to launch international flights out of SJC like what some Anetters are saying.

CVG should always have a special place in DL's network given its former hub status and large FF base.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Exactly. DL is pretty much choosing every growing area (and/or tech city) and calling them focus cities. I think it's more to get free press than anything else. It remains to be see what they actually do. With the current economic climate, things are dicey to say the least.

SJC isn't even worth a discussion in the DL network right now. But if calling it a focus city gets an RDU-SJC non-stop, I'm all for it! Heck, call it a hub!
I would say that DL needs to create a "buzz" first by naming the focus cities, then add the routes once people there are looking for DL a bit more. Just announcing the routes and hoping you get enough interest going in time for the flights to start is how focus cities loose their focus quick!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Or a 787. Right now, BA, NK, and HU all fly 787s for their intercontinental flights.
Do you mean NH? I think NK is spirit... 787s would be some development there...
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by ab2013
I think part of the reason that SJC is seeing so much domestic seat growth is the upgauges of RJs to the A220, especially on SEA/SLC-SJC.
Is that right? I thought SJC got a bunch of the 717 traffic when those were out west... the SJC-LAS flight has always been a bit of a headscratcher to me but I guess this would explain it, somewhat.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Do you mean NH? I think NK is spirit... 787s would be some development there...
Oops. Yep. ANA was the first intercontinental flight out of SJC after AA pulled them out.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by kop84
Don't all of those cities have robust or growing tech sectors? That would be the common theme at least at first glance.
I can't see them expanding to cities based on a cities tech sector. My megacorp is using technology in an attempt to eliminate as much travel as possible and we are a technology company. I believe more and more companies are doing the same thing. My boss has been telling me for over a year that he is trying to eliminate my travel as much as possible. My days as a DM are probably numbered.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I wish DL would actually focus on ATL but thats just me....

(disclaimer: obviously I know ATL is the global HQ etc my point is I wish DL would FOCUS on all the issues/failures with DL at ATL instead of focusing on where they can build out next. In other words sometimes you grow too quickly and need to focus on what made you successful to begin with)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.