Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Adding LAS-LGB (Yes you read that right)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle

I was reading the weekly OAG thread over on a.net and noticed that DL has loaded 2x daily LAS-LGB starting in October. This is clearly slot squatting and won’t be a high yielding route as there is already competition from WN so I’m wondering what DL’s reasoning for this is? Thoughts?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
While it's surprising DL wants to jump into this pit (LGB-LAS is served by WN (1x) and B6 (3x)), there still is a heavy LA/OC area-LAS demand. Their research is probably showing the market is underserved.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:17 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
(wild ignorant layperson speculation) Are the A220s creating slack in the RJ fleet or something?

Now if only they could pry the UC space at LAS out of UA's fingers...
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Zorak
(wild ignorant layperson speculation) Are the A220s creating slack in the RJ fleet or something?

Now if only they could pry the UC space at LAS out of UA's fingers...
No, but LGB is a slot controlled airport and Delta has slots they have to use. Delta probably figures lower yielding O/D traffic is better than even lower yielding (and higher cost to serve) connecting traffic.

That said, Delta has been pretty aggressive about connecting LAS to secondary airports out West (SNA and SJC come to mind - not sure if there are others) so this is relatively consistent with that approach. Perhaps they are going after convention traffic?
cmx likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:11 pm

There is a market for sure since Jet Suite and others are selling their 4 seat private charter routes SNA>LAS
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I'm not saying it will work but I can definitely see the market at least potentially being there, especially if DL is connecting LAS to airports beyond in the LA metro area beyond LAX. If anyone has tried driving I-15 on a Friday evening from LA to Vegas, they know that much of the LA Metro area seems to be migrating to Vegas for the weekend. In no traffic the drive is still about 4 hours and in stop-n-go traffic nearly the entire way it becomes pretty miserable but unless one is close to LAX, by the time one gets to LAX, checks-in, and takes the flight, little to no time is saved over driving. But if one can fly from a more convenient airport and not have to waste the time driving to LAX and since one doesn't need a car in Vegas if they plan on staying on and around the strip, flying could be the convenient option for a few enough people to justify the flight and get a couple more hours on either end of the trip in Vegas plus not have to deal with the headache of driving. Will be interesting to see if it works out.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by Centurion
There is a market for sure since Jet Suite and others are selling their 4 seat private charter routes SNA>LAS
DL already flies SNA>LAS daily. I fly it a few times a year. LGB seems interesting, since it’s just a stone’s throw from SNA.

Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:13 pm

Slot Squatting.
mizzou miles likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by ethernal
No, but LGB is a slot controlled airport and Delta has slots they have to use. Delta probably figures lower yielding O/D traffic is better than even lower yielding (and higher cost to serve) connecting traffic.

That said, Delta has been pretty aggressive about connecting LAS to secondary airports out West (SNA and SJC come to mind - not sure if there are others) so this is relatively consistent with that approach. Perhaps they are going after convention traffic?
I could see this as opportunistic slot squatting, ie the answer to the question: "What's the most cost effective route we can service with a single plane rotated in from the existing schedule that will allow us to maintain the slots?" LAS is close by, has reasonably high demand, and presumably has sufficient schedule that the plane can be rotated in from other routes (SNA-LAS-LGB-LAS-SNA or whatever).
FlyBitcoin likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TheHorta

DL already flies SNA>LAS daily. I fly it a few times a year. LGB seems interesting, since it’s just a stone’s throw from SNA.

LGB is about a thousand times easier than SNA. And therefore, I think this is a good move from Delta.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
That said, Delta has been pretty aggressive about connecting LAS to secondary airports out West (SNA and SJC come to mind - not sure if there are others)
They also fly LAS-SAN usually 4x daily on the E75.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
They also fly LAS-SAN usually 4x daily on the E75.
I actually connected in LAS last year. SJC-LAS-SAN.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:44 am
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
And 3x daily SAN-LAS. The Vegas market seems to be able to support a ton of capacity with 4x daily on Spirit, a flight on Frontier and about a dozen on WN from SAN.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by indufan
I actually connected in LAS last year. SJC-LAS-SAN.
Yeah, I've also done a JFK-LAS-SAN connection within the last year...
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by cmx
And 3x daily SAN-LAS. The Vegas market seems to be able to support a ton of capacity with 4x daily on Spirit, a flight on Frontier and about a dozen on WN from SAN.
I wouldn't call SAN a secondary airport, but certainly still an anomaly since it is a point-to-point connection between two non-hub (or even focus city) airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.