FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   HuffPo: Delta Tried to Trap Its Own Flight Attendants (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1972258-huffpo-delta-tried-trap-its-own-flight-attendants.html)

DLASflyer Jun 1, 2019 10:06 pm

HuffPo: Delta Tried to Trap Its Own Flight Attendants

"Someone in the airline’s operations control center feared attendants might walk off the plane after working long hours. So they ordered the door closed."
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/delta...b0a1997b6b198c
Seems like someone did not know that the new app where flight teams can text message each other would allow lots of employees to see their messages.

KDCAflyer Jun 1, 2019 10:43 pm

Jesus this is bad...

Duke787 Jun 1, 2019 11:01 pm

DL is a business, if the flight didn't take off by 11pm they would have to delay until the next day, they wanted to try and get the flight out before the crew timed out. All of that seems reasonable -- but I do agree the "do not open the door" was not the best language to use but the overall sentiment isn't that absurd.

DLASflyer Jun 2, 2019 5:25 am

I see the app is called Flight Family. The dispatcher and gate agents sure weren’t treating the flight attendants like family.

apodo77 Jun 2, 2019 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 31161747)
DL is a business, if the flight didn't take off by 11pm they would have to delay until the next day, they wanted to try and get the flight out before the crew timed out. All of that seems reasonable -- but I do agree the "do not open the door" was not the best language to use but the overall sentiment isn't that absurd.

Delta didn’t seem to think it was reasonable and admits it was out of protocol in a statement:

Delta acknowledged the Flight 1990 incident in a statement to HuffPost, saying it was a breakdown of company protocol.

Widgets Jun 2, 2019 6:54 am

This sounds like a HuffPo journalist trying to make a non-story into a story and framing it within the recent unionization debate. (This article makes it sound like an airline is literally physically preventing its employees from leaving.)

I say this is a non-story because the door was opened and the flight attendants volunteered to stay.

defrosted Jun 2, 2019 7:01 am

Originally Posted by apodo77 (Post 31162380)

Delta didn’t seem to think it was reasonable and admits it was out of protocol in a statement:

Delta acknowledged the Flight 1990 incident in a statement to HuffPost, saying it was a breakdown of company protocol.

Yeah, but operationally speaking airlines pull stuff like this all the time. How many times is everybody "trapped" on the plane during delays. I was on a flight and we got diverted to Knoxville because ATL was a weather mess and we didn't have fuel. They wouldn't even pull up to a gate to let us off. Some of us would have rather just got off there then head to the weather delayed disaster of ATL we eventually got to.

Not saying what happened is OK, but someone is trying to make a big news story out of it.

vincentharris Jun 2, 2019 7:10 am

I really love this site, if any of us were at work, and expected to stay at work beyond our scheduled time without for the most part the option to leave none of us would be happy but since its DL its ok. Sure they "chose" to stay and work the flight but who knows if its "frowned upon" to not have worked the flight and it could put their next review at risk or even their job.

Let's change this situation a bit, if you worked at say a grocery store and at 9 PM corporate sent a memo everybody could see to the manager of said store that said "lock the front door so employees cant leave" we would all rightfully be livid especially after working all day. Then hours later we were given the option to leave work but it was most likely strongly implied you are "not a team player" if you left then its a true rock and a hard place situation.

Just because DL did it does not make it normal or ok as evidenced by the fact that DL even acknowledged all this communication happened and said this was not the right thing to do. DL could have written this off and not even acknowledged it since it was leaked from a third party, the airline acknowledging it makes me think they know how bad it was what happened. Just because it was an FA crew does that make it ok? I am certain (and rightfully so) if this was the pilots timing out we would not be happy.

Widgets Jun 2, 2019 7:19 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 31162445)
I really love this site, if any of us were at work, and expected to stay at work beyond our scheduled time without for the most part the option to leave none of us would be happy but since its DL its ok. Sure they "chose" to stay and work the flight but who knows if its "frowned upon" to not have worked the flight and it could put their next review at risk or even their job.

Let's change this situation a bit, if you worked at say a grocery store and at 9 PM corporate sent a memo everybody could see to the manager of said store that said "lock the front door so employees cant leave" we would all rightfully be livid especially after working all day. Then hours later we were given the option to leave work but it was most likely strongly implied you are "not a team player" if you left then its a true rock and a hard place situation.

Just because DL did it does not make it normal or ok as evidenced by the fact that DL even acknowledged all this communication happened and said this was not the right thing to do. DL could have written this off and not even acknowledged it since it was leaked from a third party, the airline acknowledging it makes me think they know how bad it was what happened. Just because it was an FA crew does that make it ok? I am certain (and rightfully so) if this was the pilots timing out we would not be happy.

I think the difference here is the actors trying to keep the door closed don’t have the authority to make that decision. It would be like your grocery store coworker trying to post a memo saying no one can open the door and go home. They have no authority to do that. And, this was all communicated in what’s basically a group text message. The FAs were part of this group chat and had access to send messages too.

xooz Jun 2, 2019 8:13 am

It is unclear how HP got access to the "internal communications", but if I shared internal communications with a news outlet, I would be in deep doo-doo, particularly if the issue I was raising had not been escalated internally and my employer was clearly aware and had the opportunity to address it.

Whistle blowing has it's place, but it is unclear that DL management was aware of this situation. As noted, the people suggesting that the door remain closed were really not the final decision makers it seems.

defrosted Jun 2, 2019 8:14 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 31162445)

I get what you are saying, but although not literally locking the door, figuratively this happens in most workplaces all the time. Asked to work overtime and implied you aren't a team player if you don't? Happening all the time.

My point is the news story is the working stiff consistently gets this kind of treatment, it isn't specific to Delta or airlines. Whether this practice is acceptable is not a debate for a Delta thread.

TheHorta Jun 2, 2019 8:21 am

The sad part is, it’s reported by the Huffington Post. Even if it’s true (which it obviously is), it’s like “The Boy Who Cried Wolf.” They lie and skew so much, I automatically disregard anything that comes from them.

Gig103 Jun 2, 2019 8:59 am

The employee in operations control who said to close the door may not have understood who was seeing the message.
Translation: "The actions aren't abnormal, putting them in writing is the real mistake here."
​​​​
Isn't the timing rather poor as IAM is trying to get a union vote going?

s0ssos Jun 2, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 31162463)
I think the difference here is the actors trying to keep the door closed don’t have the authority to make that decision. It would be like your grocery store coworker trying to post a memo saying no one can open the door and go home. They have no authority to do that. And, this was all communicated in what’s basically a group text message. The FAs were part of this group chat and had access to send messages too.

And the actors in keeping passengers on a plane for hours on end do have the authority?
If you mean legally, they actually do not.

Widgets Jun 2, 2019 9:44 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 31162718)
And the actors in keeping passengers on a plane for hours on end do have the authority?
If you mean legally, they actually do not.

Do you have an example? Not sure what you mean exactly.

The FA can literally open the door from inside the plane. It’s not preferred, but the mechanisms are in place to do that.