Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How do you decide when to pay the Medallion Tax?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you decide when to pay the Medallion Tax?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by lamont2718
Why are we calling this the "Medallion tax"? Don't ordinary non-Medallion customers face the same choice between Basic Economy and Main Cabin?
Yes.

It's just bitterness that DL offers an option which some people don't like. Whether one thinks that BE is a great or a poor value, it really is up to the consumer.

While I would not book a BE ticket as a general matter, I might to it in the following limited circumstance:
1. Segment cost <$200.
2. No middle seats.
3. Short flight (<90 mins).
4. No meaningful SDC possible on a more flexible fare basis.
5. Difference between BE and lowest available non-BE is significant.

That is a tiny universe and not, to me, worth a lot of research time.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Why are we calling this the "Medallion tax"? Don't ordinary non-Medallion customers face the same choice between Basic Economy and Main Cabin?
"Medallion Tax" because medallions specifically have to pay it to be eligible for upgrades.

Originally Posted by Often1
While I would not book a BE ticket as a general matter, I might to it in the following limited circumstance:
1. Segment cost <$200.
2. No middle seats.
3. Short flight (<90 mins).
4. No meaningful SDC possible on a more flexible fare basis.
5. Difference between BE and lowest available non-BE is significant.
This is pretty solid logic. Never say never and all.
In general I would not usually buy a BE either, but in addition to the 5 points I would add milage run. I found a milage run (segment run actually) for $118 round trip. Main was another $60 or something, since the whole point of the trip is not actually traveling somewhere I want to spend the least amount of money possible to maintain status. I can put up with a possible middle seat in this situation.

To OP I probably wouldn't do BE in your situation.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:40 am

The shorter the flight and the least likely I will do a SDC the more likely I will do BE. Don’t forget that the savings multiply when traveling with a family of 5 people, not just solo, albeit that we might be split up all over the plane. But for a short flight this is fine and well worth the savings x 10 for two one-way flights.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jun 2, 2019 at 10:35 am
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
The shorter the flight and the least likely I will do a SDC the more likely I will do BE. Don’t forget that the savings multiply when traveling with a family of 5 people, not just solo.
The savings multiply but so does the hassle of trying to sit together if some of the family is younger children. Travel with my family actually makes me less likely to buy BE. To me I don't buy BE for the same reason I don't fly Southwest. But I get it there are always deals you can't refuse that will change my tune.
AA100k likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Often1
It's just bitterness that DL offers an option which some people don't like.
I would say it's bitterness that DL introduced a product at the same price point it used to offer MC tickets at, and then bumped up MC tickets at least $20 (and now usually more) to buy the services you used to get at the lower price. I'm not sure why we should be happy about having to choose between paying more or getting less?
pgh234, krazykanuck, BenA and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by bennos
I'm not sure why we should be happy about having to choose between paying more or getting less?
Don't get me wrong, I hate BE as much as the next poster... but isn't that choice pretty normal in our day to day lives?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:56 am

Terrible name.

Felt click-baited expecting to see a thread trashing FCM, or upgrades for $10s of dollars—the true so-called Tax on Medallions.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Terrible name.
Appropriate name.
There are a number of published Medallion benefits that you can’t get unless you pay extra for them.
Namely upgrades, free standby/SDC, and exit row seat assignments.
pgh234, krazykanuck and defrosted like this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon

Appropriate name.
There are a number of published Medallion benefits that you can’t get unless you pay extra for them.
Namely upgrades, free standby/SDC, and exit row seat assignments.
Agreed. Just like a luxury tax, you want nicer things you pay a higher tax on them. It is aptly nicknamed, although I will concede it is not technically accurate.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I've gotten exit row/Preferred seats on Basic Economy before. Just selected one at checkin. So you can take that one off the list.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL was the first US carrier to offer BE. It's been 5+ years.

Just like people who still bemoan NW, it's time to move on.

Choose the cabin and fare basis which suits your needs. If you choose to be a captive to DL, that is also a choice.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Don’t forget that the savings multiply when traveling with a family of 5 people, not just solo.
But please don't be the person asking four people (or any number of people) to shuffle seats because you would not spend the money to pay for assigned seats. And especially don't be the person who acts surprised to the gate agent that you can't get assigned seats together or indignant that other pax won't move.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Medallions face a greater loss of benefits than a non-statused passenger. This has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads so I won't reiterate it here.

One of the main draws for Basic Economy for the airlines is that it allows additional revenue extraction from Medallions (or their equivalent), especially on leisure travel. The fact that so many people have said they will never purchase a BE ticket is proof that it has been effective.
ijgordon and krazykanuck like this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: DL DM
I'm 6'6 with a shaky lower back who mainly flies LAX-MCO-LAX 1-2x/month. I've never purchased a BE ticket, and I pay for the tickets out of pocket. It's not worth the risk.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Delta is Greedy

Originally Posted by Duke787
Seems foolish to say you'd never buy BE. There are some limited use cases where it makes sense (especially since DL still awards full MQMs and allows you to take advantage of your elite status apart from upgrades) -- my requirements are typically under 1 hour and only on planes without middle seats (so CR2/7/9 or E170/175).
I agree with Duke787's analysis. I agree with the OP's questioning of the cost vs value proposition. IAD-LGA is about 1.5 hours on a regional jet. For me, I'd rather have $35 than first class. It's the same for SAN-LAS: 1.5 hours on a regional jet.

SAN-LAS is an EMB-170/175 with no middle seat. OP says IAD-LGA is an A220 with a middle seat on one side. I haven't flown the A220, but the middle seat couldn't be all that bad -- and only 20% odds with five seats per row.

I'm a Diamond, but Delta can go take a hike if they think I'll pay the medallion tax for a crap upgrade.
sydneyracquelle likes this.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jun 2, 2019 at 12:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.