Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How do you decide when to pay the Medallion Tax?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

So like I assume many others, when faced with a BE vs. Main Cabin fare difference, how do you decide when to pay the tax or not? Do you think of it as a $/flight hour, or likelihood of clearing into a better cabin, or what? Personally I generally don't have a problem doing BE on regional jets with a 2-2 because the downside risk on crappy seats is limited.

I'm thinking of this today because I'm looking at a flight from IAH-LGA on a non-Monday weekday morning on the A220 for a month from now. BE is $138. Main is $173. Seat map shows F is 1/12 so far, C+ is 2/15, and I'll be a Gold by flight time. So probably a given "upgrade" to C+, maybe even F. On the other hand it's a 2-3 setup, so I have a 20% chance of getting a middle seat going with BE, and being an early flight will probably sleep most of the way to LGA anyway, so limits the value of free drinks in C+, and that + food in F.

WDYT? I'm not counting the inflexibility of changing a BE ticket as this would be the tail end of a weekend trip that I can't see why I'd ever need to come home early from. My pet rock doesn't go hungry anyway.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:16 pm

How important is $35 to you? You still get the same MQMs and lounge access which is what I care about. I also get to board as SKY instead of Comfort which is no big deal. My cutoff is a 2-hour flight I can take in any seat they give me. Any longer and I will pay for MC to get the Comfort upgrade at purchase. Yesterday I got a window seat that didn’t recline but for 90 minutes it was fine.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I will never, for any reason, select a BE ticket.
Spiff, bubbashow, pbjag and 15 others like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
+1
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CarmenOM

+1

Seems foolish to say you'd never buy BE. There are some limited use cases where it makes sense (especially since DL still awards full MQMs and allows you to take advantage of your elite status apart from upgrades) -- my requirements are typically under 1 hour and only on planes without middle seats (so CR2/7/9 or E170/175).

For example, I've only done BE once but it was because there was no way to justify spending an extra $50pp on RDU - DCA (maybe 40 minutes wheels up to wheels down) just to get a little extra legroom on C+/F and get a free drink (if FAs decided there was enough time). We preferred saving the $100 for our meals during the weekend.

IAH - LGA would be too long for me -- especially at only $35 with a decent shot at C+/F based on current loads.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
For me it has less to do with seat selection and more to do with the total lack of flexibility with the ticket. I guess if I were buying a ticket just a day or two before traveling and I was 100% certain about that trip then it might makes sense, but BE is usually sold out in advance.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:14 pm

For me it has less to do with seat selection and more to do with the total lack of flexibility with the ticket. I guess if I were buying a ticket just a day or two before traveling and I was 100% certain about that trip then it might makes sense, but BE is usually sold out in advance.
I only buy BE as a one-way ticket and if it costs less than $200 it is wasted with any change anyways.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
For example, I've only done BE once but it was because there was no way to justify spending an extra $50pp on RDU - DCA (maybe 40 minutes wheels up to wheels down) just to get a little extra legroom on C+/F and get a free drink (if FAs decided there was enough time). We preferred saving the $100 for our meals during the weekend.

IAH - LGA would be too long for me -- especially at only $35 with a decent shot at C+/F based on current loads.
See this is the kinda thought process I was hoping to elicit from this post. I see nothing wrong with choosing BE when you're not losing much. Easier to choose BE when you don't have status though.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
See this is the kinda thought process I was hoping to elicit from this post. I see nothing wrong with choosing BE when you're not losing much. Easier to choose BE when you don't have status though.
FYI if exit row is currently available that makes this an easy choice too -- I flew the A220 in both C+ and Y earlier this year on LGA - DFW - LGA and the exit row has good legroom, so even if the C+/F upgrades don't clear, the $35 is worth it for the exit row on a flight of this length and you'll get it at booking as FO with regular Y fare
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
I never understand why people say this. I just took a $73 BE CVG-BWI flight, on a 2x2 CRJ-200 with no FC, just over an hour flight, that I knew I would not want to SDC...vs paying my additional $35 medallion tax for "Main Cabin." Please tell me why I made a dumb choice? I can't think of a single reason why booking BE was not the right thing to do.

While I defend booking BE in certain situations, I do not defend the fact that it exists in the first place.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pgh234
I never understand why people say this. I just took a $73 BE CVG-BWI flight, on a 2x2 CRJ-200 with no FC, just over an hour flight, that I knew I would not want to SDC...vs paying my additional $35 medallion tax for "Main Cabin." Please tell me why I made a dumb choice? I can't think of a single reason why booking BE was not the right thing to do.

While I defend booking BE in certain situations, I do not defend the fact that it exists in the first place.
I’m in the camp of personally never buying BE but that doesn’t mean you made a “dumb” choice - you made the choice that was best for you. But I want to be able to select an aisle (preferably at least an Exit Row or C+) which BE would prevent me from doing. I’ve taken connections over nonstops just to get aisle seats versus being stuck in middle seats or standard window seats where I struggle to fit.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I only book BE if it's a short flight and there is no middle seat.

A short flight for me is less than 2 and a half hours.

I won't book BE if it's under 2 and a half hours if there is a chance for a middle seat.

I would avoid BE completely if delta goes the United route and bans carry-ons for BE passangers
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I would avoid BE completely if delta goes the United route and bans carry-ons for BE passangers
I believe you mean when.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lamprey
I believe you mean when.
Doubtful. DL has been the leader on BE. They didn't change even when UA and AA both announced their own BE, with no carry on allowance. AA in fact had to walk the restriction back, allowing passengers to take bag on plane.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Why are we calling this the "Medallion tax"? Don't ordinary non-Medallion customers face the same choice between Basic Economy and Main Cabin?
indufan and Air Houston like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.