when is a bp not a bp?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 6:52 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
when is a bp not a bp?

From jfk to zrh (nonstop) my bps (printed on my home computer) are always OK.
Yesterday I flew n/s from zrh to jfk and printed my bp in my hotel. Shortly before boarding I went to DL "security" desk (since my bp had TSA PC listed) I was asked minimal ques. But when I got on the DL-ONE boarding line the agent claimed my bp was NOT a bp; I was directed to get an "official" bp, printed from their bp printer. The security people who verified my pp took no issue with my hotel printed bp. Was my initial bp NOT a bp.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: Delta DM / 4MM; HHonors Diamond
European airports use a different scan code than we do in the US. From my experience, many of the Delta printed boarding passes have both on them. However, the ones you print from the website might not. I learned this by living through an experience very similar to the one you did ... only in MUC. I asked and got an explanation ... I assume it's right.
Old May 31, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
In the same vein, I've had DL reprint a boarding pass produced at the airport in EU or Asia reprinted at the bag recheck on arrival in the US. Sometimes to get the prechek tag on it.
Old May 31, 2019, 8:19 am

They might’ve known that home-printed BPs don’t usually work on their scanner. Some scanners are awful.
Old May 31, 2019, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's done at airports where the scanners are not up to snuff. Neither common nor uncommon and typically where the hardware is the airport authority's or belongs to a ground servicer or another carrier.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:40 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
It's done at airports where the scanners are not up to snuff. Neither common nor uncommon and typically where the hardware is the airport authority's or belongs to a ground servicer or another carrier.
In ZRH you can't get into the "controlled" area unless your bp is scanned properly.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
I once flew a DL codeshare Air Europa flight LIS-MAD connecting onto a DL MAD-ATL flight. They thought my UX boarding pass was fake. Wouldn't let me pass passport check at the gate. They eventually printed me a new boarding pass on DL stock. DL seems to be weird about non-DL BP's.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
I once flew a DL codeshare Air Europa flight LIS-MAD connecting onto a DL MAD-ATL flight. They thought my UX boarding pass was fake. Wouldn't let me pass passport check at the gate. They eventually printed me a new boarding pass on DL stock. DL seems to be weird about non-DL BP's.
It's not just DL. Most airlines have you swap BP nowadays. Done to help with scanner issues, and as a way to quickly tell if they verified your passport or Visa. Most airlines don't trust others to do that for them and seeing new BP jets them know you've been verified by them.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's not just DL. Most airlines have you swap BP nowadays. Done to help with scanner issues, and as a way to quickly tell if they verified your passport or Visa. Most airlines don't trust others to do that for them and seeing new BP jets them know you've been verified by them.
Do you know if the TATL JV partners have this issue? Say you're flying ATL-CDG-PRG all on DL flight numbers, would AF make you change BP's in Paris? Or the reverse, DL back to ATL?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:58 pm

Do you know if the TATL JV partners have this issue? Say you're flying ATL-CDG-PRG all on DL flight numbers, would AF make you change BP's in Paris? Or the reverse, DL back to ATL?
Several times I’ve had Delta not even print my AF boarding passes so I had to get them in Paris anyway. (It’s not hard as they have plenty of terminals and it doesn’t involve talking to an agent.)

On the occasions when I HAVE had boarding passes all the way through, I have never had trouble using them. But I’ve never printed my own at home.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No issues with DL/AF/KL. Only time I've had to exchange with them, is when at outstation that's contracted to third party. (Ie Dnata, SATS, Menzies, etc)
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
It happens all the time for me in European airports. In fact, I don’t bother doing online check in any longer on inbound flights from the EU. Also happens on AA flights from CDG, VCE, FCO and ZRH in my recent experience.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:41 am

On a recent MU trip, the out station printed my boarding passes all the way to JFK. Got to PVG and even immigration wouldn't accept my onward BP, made me go to the transfer desk for an "official" MU BP. Bit of a hassle, but I had hours to kill so oh well.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:48 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
There was a point a few years ago at LAX where the mobile BPs wouldn't get you TSA PreCheck services even if it said PreCheck because tea was worried people were creating fake mobile BPs. You had to have a printed BP.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
There was a point a few years ago at LAX where the mobile BPs wouldn't get you TSA PreCheck services even if it said PreCheck because tea was worried people were creating fake mobile BPs. You had to have a printed BP.
This makes no sense. It's easier to create a printed BP, then a mobile one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.