Wiki Posts
Search

Inaugural A220 service from EWR

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA
Inaugural A220 service from EWR

I was on the inaugural A220 service out of Newark this Tuesday. No large formalities or water cannon salute but the ramp crew gathered for photos and the gate agent made a point to announce this was a special new service for Newark!

The windows are very large!

The ramp crew gathered and were taking pics with their phones as the plane approached gate B45 at EWR.

Zorak likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
When I flew the CES 'special section' A350 LAS-ICN in Jan 2018, lots of people gathered on the ramp for photos as well -- and not just DL people. Saw airport folks and folks from other airlines wanting to get pics of the 350.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Where is it flying to? DTW?
Old May 30, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by ethernal
Where is it flying to? DTW?
Yes, twice daily EWR-DTW on the CS100 A220.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:43 am

DTW to the New York area seems to be picking up a number of these. I know I'm scheduled for flights in or out of JFK and LGA to/from DTW on A220's later this year.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by cardsqc
DTW to the New York area seems to be picking up a number of these. I know I'm scheduled for flights in or out of JFK and LGA to/from DTW on A220's later this year.
DL faces some competition out of DTW to the NY area. AA to LGA, UA to EWR, NK to LGA. They are utilizing these first aircraft on business-heavy routes with competition. Frankly, because they blow the competition out of the water. Great plane.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA
She’s one of the sexiest if not the sexiest bird I’ve ever flown on. Seats and windows are noticeably larger than comparable planes. I didn’t wander in the back to see the loo with the view, though!😂

What a beautiful plane. She’s especially stunning in Delta colours.

Skycubbie
defrosted likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
These are supposed to be pretty darn comfortable for Y passengers, nice and wide seats with IFE. I flew my first Delta CRJ recently and it was super uncomfortable (even for just a 50min flight). Can't wait until these new birds replace those!
Old May 31, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
These are supposed to be pretty darn comfortable for Y passengers, nice and wide seats with IFE. I flew my first Delta CRJ recently and it was super uncomfortable (even for just a 50min flight). Can't wait until these new birds replace those!
If you are talking about the CRJ-200's, this is not replacement for them. The A220 flying may displace some CRJ-700/900 and E170 flight which may in turn replace some CRJ-200 flights. But there are a number of markets which can only be reasonably served with 50-seaters.
Old May 31, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by xliioper
If you are talking about the CRJ-200's, this is not replacement for them. The A220 flying may displace some CRJ-700/900 and E170 flight which may in turn replace some CRJ-200 flights. But there are a number of markets which can only be reasonably served with 50-seaters.
Flightstats indicates it was probably a CR9 that I flew. It definitely had F, C+, and Y but low headroom, narrow width and tight pitch with no IFE. I was glad I had checked a bag at Knoxville so I could fly with just my CPAP in the tiny little overhead lockers. So if those are getting changed to A220 routes, YAY!
Old May 31, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
Flightstats indicates it was probably a CR9 that I flew. It definitely had F, C+, and Y but low headroom, narrow width and tight pitch with no IFE. I was glad I had checked a bag at Knoxville so I could fly with just my CPAP in the tiny little overhead lockers. So if those are getting changed to A220 routes, YAY!
When most people say CRJ, they are talking about the CRJ-200's. The CRJ-700/900 aircraft design had several improvements made to them and they are considerably more comfortable than the CRJ-200's.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mot29
When I flew the CES 'special section' A350 LAS-ICN in Jan 2018, lots of people gathered on the ramp for photos as well -- and not just DL people. Saw airport folks and folks from other airlines wanting to get pics of the 350.
I was on the same flight as you in Premium Select and observed the same though I did find it comical to see the WN Fanboys take photos considering their terminal is far away from the DL gates.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:50 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
I was flying EWR-SFO on AS on Thursday night and was listening to LiveATC as we were taxiing out. I heard a EWR ground controller ask a DL A220 pilot how he should refer to the plane when giving instruction— was it “give way to the Airbus 220 on your right” or “give way to the extended RJ”... pilot said it was Airbus 220. Fun to hear the controllers themselves getting used to the new plane type.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.