FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Popular Travel Blogger Blasts D1 LAX-JFK Cleanliness and Food in New Video (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1971968-popular-travel-blogger-blasts-d1-lax-jfk-cleanliness-food-new-video.html)

Oakshadow May 30, 2019 1:05 pm

Popular Travel Blogger Blasts D1 LAX-JFK Cleanliness and Food in New Video

Paul Lucus seems honest with these reviews. While I'm not always a fan of millennial bloggers as they frequently come across as overly entitled, there are good points about housekeeping and the out-of-date seats for premium transcons. And yes, the first minute or so is an advert for his sponsor (I tried linking a minute into the video but I don't know if that's working), but it's still an interesting take.

MCO Flyer May 30, 2019 2:02 pm

Why is anyone surprised? He was flying on the 764 which is the oldest cabin of any wide body in the DL fleet. I just flew the 764 on DL836 in Y and the cabin was filthy just like in the video. The IFE barely worked, paneling was falling off the OH bins, and my seat was partially broken because the recline mechanism kept getting stuck in. I would avoid the 764 at all cost until the mods are done.

CPMaverick May 30, 2019 2:10 pm

Sorry, can't get past the fluff and sponsorship nonsense. Who cares what this guy thinks.

The Situation May 30, 2019 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Oakshadow (Post 31154345)
Paul Lucus seems honest with these reviews. While I'm not always a fan of millennial bloggers as they frequently come across as overly entitled, there are good points about housekeeping and the out-of-date seats for premium transcons. And yes, the first minute or so is an advert for his sponsor (I tried linking a minute into the video but I don't know if that's working), but it's still an interesting take.

Yes he did come across and entitled and overly dramatic, but everything he said was spot on and applies to every DL flight I take. Most of my flights are a lot worse than what he had, but the sad part is DL still runs a better operation than any competitors. The planes are disgusting, the meals are going downhill and getting worse, and often the interior is significantly worn and broken. The airport terminals aren't much better and are often worse. My last flight, boarding was delayed because the cleaning crew had not yet serviced the plane in the two hours the a/c was sitting on the ground. They "cleaned" it in 30 seconds. As the three-year-old sitting near me in the terminal so adorably pointed out, "the plane is still going to be dirty from the last flight." The plane was disgusting. They had not picked up the used blanket that was sitting on the floor from the previous flight, nor the garbage in the seatback pocket, and no I was not expecting them to vacuum the crumbs in all the cracks and crevasses, cuz that just ain't happening.

SSF556 May 30, 2019 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 31154548)
Sorry, can't get past the fluff and sponsorship nonsense. Who cares what this guy thinks.

You and I both know that the 767 is a filthy dirty old plane. I can send a message to Delta dumb telling them this. But in today's YT world this video will be seen by Delta and it will be a very powerful tool. I care what this guy thinks because he has the microphone and what he is yelling is relevant to my personal investment I have made in Delta. Delta might be reliable but their planes for the most part are dirty. The interior and the exterior.

Wife and I are flying back from JNB this December...I am over the moon happy that the 777 has the new interior.

CPMaverick May 30, 2019 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by SSF556 (Post 31154636)
But in today's YT world this video will be seen by Delta and it will be a very powerful tool.

Or, this video will get a modest 100-200k views, FT will debate it, and nothing will change.

My guess is most of the views will be aborted after the lengthy advertising at the start.

Beltway2A May 30, 2019 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Oakshadow (Post 31154345)
Paul Lucus seems honest with these reviews. While I'm not always a fan of millennial bloggers as they frequently come across as overly entitled,

Funny, that's the same reason I avoid reviews by Boomers.

I find Paul's perspective interesting largely because a large portion of his reviews tend to be short-haul European products. I don't know if there's any disagreement as to the state of the 764, thankfully the product is being refreshed.

rufflesinc May 30, 2019 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation (Post 31154586)
They "cleaned" it in 30 seconds. As the three-year-old sitting near me in the terminal so adorably pointed out, "the plane is still going to be dirty from the last flight."

:D

Gig103 May 30, 2019 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 31154524)
I would avoid the 764 at all cost until the mods are done.

As long as it's my money, I'm doing my best to avoid the 764. I did take it (for a stellar $2k incl. hotel to Prague), but for an upcoming trip to Paris I skipped the nonstop on the 767 in preference to an A330 with connection in AMS. Yes I'd rather a connection than pay for a seat that is too narrow for me to sleep comfortably in- I might as well have PE at that point.

SSF556 May 30, 2019 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 31154669)
Or, this video will get a modest 100-200k views, FT will debate it, and nothing will change.

My guess is most of the views will be aborted after the lengthy advertising at the start.

I would take 100K-200K views everyday of the week....someone does not understand how YT works....maybe it is time to crawl out from under the FT rock!

TheMadBrewer May 30, 2019 3:27 pm

A few weeks ago I flew LAX-JFK in Y (well, C+) for the first time in a while (RUC didn't clear -- welcome to PM). I knew the D1 cabins were tired but I was shocked at how bad the Y cabin was. Not only were things worn and stained (and not all that clean) there were pieces hanging off the window moldings, my seat back pocket was hanging by a thread. Very much a Greyhound bus vibe.

pmarrsouth May 30, 2019 3:31 pm

Sorry, can't get past the fluff and sponsorship nonsense

Hit L a few times, you will skip some of it quick enough

NDtraveler May 30, 2019 3:56 pm

Now you guys have me worried about my AUS-ATL-LIM and return flight. 764 down to Lima and back but hey I got it for only $850 in business

Yellowjj May 30, 2019 4:01 pm

I think it's safe to say most people on FT, know that DL's 767 are due for a refurb seeing as it's been at least a decade. His only valid points are the filthy interior and the meal. Complaining about the 767 seat at this point makes zero sense, because it's a known issue for broad shouldered/tall people. WiFi fails on every airline, so I wouldn't look at a one off thing as a serious issue.

If he knew a few high status frequent DL flyers as he mentioned; they could have told him to avoid the 767 due to the narrowness and half of his complaints would have been alleviated.

apodo77 May 30, 2019 4:02 pm

Not sure why the video upset you so (didn't mind the ad and actually looked up the site for curiosity). You also could easily fast forward through it. Nothing he said in there was fasle. Not a good showing by DL for a premium route.

And the 764 is a dump the one time i rode on it (LAX-ATL).