Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Popular Travel Blogger Blasts D1 LAX-JFK Cleanliness and Food in New Video

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Popular Travel Blogger Blasts D1 LAX-JFK Cleanliness and Food in New Video

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by ajl1239
Is this true? I don't find customer service in the U.S. any better than France or Italy and it's appalling compared to Japan. The only thing you get in the U.S. is people pretending to care about you for a tip.
Don’t know where you’re from, but it’s not customary to tip airline agents in the US, or really anywhere I can think of...
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by paul4040

Likely, you saw this one, United 757 transcontinental, and Scoot 787 "biz", all of which were dreadful. They're pretty much the only three videos out of over 200 that I'd describe as mostly negative, but in each of those videos I found one or two things I liked about the experience.
Actually, I think they were Westjet and BA, and maybe one other, plus this, which goes to my point that it's pretty much the same story every time.

It's sort of a complaining, novice type approach to travel. I prefer the blogs and vlogs where the blogger/vlogger has a bit more authority. I much prefer the general trip reports section of FT where there are some great ones, or Sam Chui, OMAT, SFO777 early days, Australian Business Traveler or several of the other Boarding Area bloggers who do trip reports.

I think your response to my post goes to that sort of know-it-all vibe in the videos. And in fact, the videos i had seen from you were different than the ones you mentioned.

That said, you seemingly have built a nice business or business hobby via your Youtube videos, which means you are getting a lot of views, so you obviously know what will drive traffic, so congratulations on a successful formula. I doubt it's easy to have commercial success it in the blogosphere. Just not my taste, but then again, I watch news and sports, and my other half watches Real Housewives and things like that.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
Actually, I think they were Westjet and BA, and maybe one other, plus this, which goes to my point that it's pretty much the same story every time.
I've never released a negative video about BA or WestJet. I just call stuff as I see it - my only (perfectly valid) complaint on the WestJet flight was that the lunch service took five (!!) hours, and I caveated that by saying it was literally the inaugural flight, so they deserve to have a little slack cut for them. The WestJet video was overwhelmingly positive and concluded with me saying the airline was a compelling transatlantic proposition. I haven't released any video on BA for God knows how long and never given a negative review.

You are confusing me with someone else in the case of Westjet and BA.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle

It's sort of a complaining, novice type approach to travel. I prefer the blogs and vlogs where the blogger/vlogger has a bit more authority. I much prefer the general trip reports section of FT where there are some great ones, or Sam Chui, OMAT, SFO777 early days, Australian Business Traveler or several of the other Boarding Area bloggers who do trip reports.
I saw Paul's WestJet video you were referencing and due to it I really want to try WestJet's new 787 Business Class product (and get 120% DL MQMs to boot (EDIT: 100% MQMs)). Those other bloggers you mentioned like OMAT or Sam Chui give the same amount of earned praise and criticism to the experience of whatever they're reviewing. If describing ingrained grime and filth due to DL's lack of proper care and housekeeping and those public descriptions instigate DL to do a fundamentally better job is a "novice type approach," then we need more novice type approach reviews!
redeyedonkey likes this.

Last edited by Oakshadow; Jun 9, 2019 at 11:34 pm
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by TBD
Delta has 77 Boeing 767s in their fleet, but only 21 are 764s.
Yes, most are 763s*, which are same as 764s just a bit smaller cabin, but the same seat and all the same issues.
(*excluding the really ancient non lie-flat 767s for the purposes of this discussion)
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Yes, most are 763s*, which are same as 764s just a bit smaller cabin, but the same seat and all the same issues.
(*excluding the really ancient non lie-flat 767s for the purposes of this discussion)
The one minor difference is that the 763 mods were done, I think, a year or even two after the 764's, so they are that much less worn.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ethernal
What difference does it make? The 767-300ERs may be slightly newer, but it's the same equipment. Same crappy seat (and while I don't care about IFE, some do, and it's the same IFE).

The type of dirt that we're talking about is dirt that piles up over the course of a year or two without any heavy cleaning - the difference between 8 and 10 is not that important.
IME, the 763s are in much better shape than most of the 764s. While the seats are the exact same, they don’t seem as worn on the 763s as the 764. Almost every time I’ve flown on the 764 in D1 over the past 2-3 years, the seats have always been very well worn, however the 763s don’t seem as worn IME. Neither product is great, but the 763s are at least more than likely going to be in better condition due to the seats being newer. If flying back in Y, the difference grows between them as almost all of the 763s have the newer HD IFE system, which is light years ahead of the old tiny white screens found on the 764s.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
I saw Paul's WestJet video you were referencing and due to it I really want to try WestJet's new 787 Business Class product (and get 120% DL MQMs to boot). Those other bloggers you mentioned like OMAT or Sam Chui give the same amount of earned praise and criticism to the experience of whatever they're reviewing. If describing ingrained grime and filth due to DL's lack of proper care and housekeeping and those public descriptions instigate DL to do a fundamentally better job is a "novice type approach," then we need more novice type approach reviews!
I guess it's like the nightly news - some people like one anchor over another, or there is an anchor and their broadcast they just don't really like. I've seen about a half dozen of Paul's vlogs and just don't really like them very much. Sometimes if there is nothing else new, and I'm just clicking around, as I like trip reports, I'll watch one of his.

I've never released a negative video about BA or WestJet. I just call stuff as I see it - my only (perfectly valid) complaint on the WestJet flight was that the lunch service took five (!!) hours, and I caveated that by saying it was literally the inaugural flight, so they deserve to have a little slack cut for them. The WestJet video was overwhelmingly positive and concluded with me saying the airline was a compelling transatlantic proposition. I haven't released any video on BA for God knows how long and never given a negative review.

You are confusing me with someone else in the case of Westjet and BA.
You seem to have a really tough time with criticism, but not confusing you with anyone else.

On the web stuff stays up forever unless you take it down, so all I can tell you is within the last six months or so a BA report you did popped up in my recommended list on Youtube.

By the way Youtube shows you have 3 BA videos in the last year and it looks like another 3-4 in the past two years. Either way, I just saw one of them, and found it like the others I mentioned.

As I said, kudos to building a well watched Youtube channel. I guess it's horses for courses. Them are some bloggers/vloggers I would never read/watch again, because they are far worse than yours, although as I said, there are others who I think do a much better job but in content and presentation.

On a final note, I do find - more than others - you tend to video other people which I doubt you have asked permission. Just another technique I find a bit annoying, self-entitled.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by TBD
I agree the airline may have leverage, but that doesn't make the airline the decision maker. Delta has complained about security practices in Atlanta. United has done the same in Newark. If the airlines don't always get what they want at their hubs, why do you think they'll get their way at other airports?
Sorry to drag this up again but I felt it was worth pointing out that it is one thing simply complaining about existing security practices as they stand and it is another to complain that an airline's proposal to invest and help fund a new security experience for premium passengers at hub airports, is being prevented. Perhaps the former might be more relevant here? The fact that some terminals in the US offer an easier passage through the formalities for eligible passengers, indicates that this is not a red flag for the TSA, or we would not see it at all countrywide. Therefore, it would appear that the issue is perhaps one between the airlines and the airport operators, with the thorny issue of investment and who will provide that investment, being stuck somewhere in the middle.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
You seem to have a really tough time with criticism, but not confusing you with anyone else.
I think it's bit unfair to criticize someone and then criticize them just for defending themself.
On a final note, I do find - more than others - you tend to video other people which I doubt you have asked permission. Just another technique I find a bit annoying, self-entitled.
As the person who admittedly unfairly boxed millennials as being "overly entitled" in my OP, I'm just not seeing the connect of having other people in the background in frame, something that is extremely difficult to avoid on airport and flight review videos, as being "self entitled." In fact Paul truly does make an effort to avoid having other people in the shots and has mentioned in other videos he tries to board first in order to get shots of the cabins before other passengers enter.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Oakshadow; Jun 9, 2019 at 2:12 am
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
I'm not really comparing Delta with all other US carriers in the video - I'm just saying the experience was bad when I measure it against most of the others I've had.
Definitely an unfortunate experience on DL, but their performance and reputation vs peers speaks for itself. I did find the comparison to UA's brand new 787 trans-con experience slightly unfair. Not saying the A330 would have been cleaner/food better, but it's widely known that you were flying one of DL's weakest products, equipment-wise.

That said, I enjoy your channel immensely and am pleased that you have been able to turn your hobby into a full time pursuit. The general tone and information presented are spot on vs "look at me, I'm in first class" effect that comes off in many video reviews and some popular web sites. I did not realize that you were so active here, as well (should have been a no-brainer). Keep up the good work!

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Jun 9, 2019 at 9:40 am Reason: grammar
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oakshadow

I think it's bit unfair to criticize someone and then criticize them just for defending themself.

I think it's one thing if I criticized him on him website or Youtube channel, however, his defensiveness, telling me I must be mistaking him for somebody else, I was watching different reports than I did, as well as providing some incorrect information in his defense is why I responded. As I mentioned to Paul it looks like he has a successful blog/vlog business - I was also clear it was a personal choice - my likes/dislikes - some people like classical music, others like rap, some like neither.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Most relevant comment is the NY-LA premium competition. Many flyer complaints wouldn't bother me as an investor. This one does.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:51 pm

I think it's one thing if I criticized him on him website or Youtube channel, however, his defensiveness, telling me I must be mistaking him for somebody else, I was watching different reports than I did, as well as providing some incorrect information in his defense is why I responded. As I mentioned to Paul it looks like he has a successful blog/vlog business - I was also clear it was a personal choice - my likes/dislikes - some people like classical music, others like rap, some like neither.
I don't think it is particularly defensive to point out that the WestJet video I released was 95% positive and cannot be called a "worst ever type experience" - although there is another vlogger friend of mine who recently released a far more negative review than I - we took the same inaugural flight. We look similar and have similar presentation styles, and are regularly confused with one another (tbh, I'm better looking ).

I didn't provide any incorrect information in my reply. I haven't released a video on BA for well over a year, although again my vlogger friend released a negative video on them recently. If you click on any of my BA videos - none of which were released in the past year as you claim (and I'm not sure how you have made that mistake!) - you will see why I don't think you can group them as "more of the same...dramatic worst ever experiences". They are mostly silent travelogues from before June 2018, which aren't narrated and don't contain any opinion at all on the travel product. It's not possible you saw one of my BA videos and thought it was a "dramatic, worst ever" experience. I have not released any such video on BA. I have not released any such video on WestJet either. I have released videos which some reasonable people might say "well, that's a bit too dramatic", which is why I named the top three videos on my channel which I think you may have seen to feel that way.

It's one thing to say you don't like my presentation style or my vlog (and tbh FlyerTalk isn't my audience so I'm not too surprised there are people here that don't!), but allow me to correct in the most civil way I can, a possible misinterpretation so we can be sure we are talking about the same channel and the same videos, to keep the thread on topic.

I don't feel either of us is or has been unduly defensive, and I appreciate your comments about people preferring their own styles - me too! I will happily bow out of our exchange at this point, and if I am still mistaken then I apologise.
mhy likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
The general tone and information presented are spot on vs "look at me, I'm in first class" effect that comes off in many video reviews and some popular web sites. I did not realize that you were so active here, as well (should have been a no-brainer). Keep up the good work!
Thanks - I am not too active here, and the DL section isn't somewhere I hang out. The 764 made my heart sink - it was a late substitution for an A330 which was a big disappointment, but it is an occupational hazard I guess!

My natural habitat is to lurk on the BA area, which is frankly a terrible place at times. Everyone here has been much more civil and measured than I would have expected from the BA board!

I'll still fly Delta again. They can't be as bad again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.