Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage disaster

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Baggage disaster

hello all,

yesterday flying from Atlanta to Cedar Rapids for bi-annual trade show. Delta left 5 of 6 bags with all our merchandise and samples (and clothes) in Atlanta. They are still not sure exactly when all of them will arrive. 2 have been expedited and the other 3 show they were delivered to Cedar Rapids but obviously not.

Anyone have ave a contact number? I keep getting routed to baggage services that say they are only allowed to give a $100 travel voucher and then that I should file an online complaint.

I don’t see how this is the possible resolution and we are out to 1,000’s of dollars in sales and obviously a little embarrassing to have any empty trade stand.

Any my advice is appreciated or a best contact.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:46 am

We always use FEDEX to ship stuff out to shows many days in advance. Too risky otherwise.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:02 am

When you arrived, was a complaint filed at the baggage office? They should have given you a case number.

How are you verifying if the baggage arrived at Cedar Rapids?

For compensation, you really do need to file an online complaint using the case number provided and provide as much information as possible. Depending on (DL's) perceived severity, you will get a phone call or email response. My guess would be the latter, assuming no extreme physical damage.

We also ship items separately to shows using FEDEX as well many days in advance.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
3 bags were shown to be delivered but obviously not? Shown where......on the app?
That implies they made it to Cedar Rapids & the bar codes were scanned in Cedar Rapids after being unloaded, which tells me they’re laying on the ground somewhere in the bag room.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:40 am
Original Poster

The funny thing about the bar codes scanning is Always the same for each set of three bags (like the bar codes are linked). The all got scanned within the exact same minute on their entire journey. Possible but unique I think.

I did file file a claim and we just opted to bring checked bags versus Fedex when it is a short hop flight with multiple services a day...what could go wrong...
Old May 30, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
DL is normally super on point with checked baggage delivery, so it's an unfortunate outlier (and a pretty significant one, at that) that 5 out of your 6 bags didn't make it.

Did they never show up in the app as being scanned on to the plane in ATL? Given that 2 of the 3 flights from ATL-CID are on RJs, I wonder if there was a weight/balance issue or something like that.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Ambassador, WN CP
There were "issues" yesterday in Atlanta. I had a tight connection and my bags didn't make my flight, even though I did. It never scanned. Hopefully they're being delivered today.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by rh_jeremy
There were "issues" yesterday in Atlanta. I had a tight connection and my bags didn't make my flight, even though I did. It never scanned. Hopefully they're being delivered today.
Yeah, the whole Northeast was a soup sandwich yesterday with all the storms. While that didn't directly affect ATL, there were severe delay programs for basically any flight entering ZBW or ZNY and lots of cancellations. Yesterday was just not a good day for flying.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Agree with advice above, take the time to do the paperwork and file a claim. You will not get compensation for thousands of dollars of lost sales. You should receive a goodwill gesture.

Always best to send these things ahead so you have margin for error.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by adamfrey
I did file file a claim and we just opted to bring checked bags versus Fedex when it is a short hop flight with multiple services a day...what could go wrong...
Fair enough, and you really don't expect bags to be mishandled on a direct flight.....
Old May 30, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Can you set up your booth with nothing but a big sign that says "#DELTA lost our bags" our maybe "Our bags Didn't Ever Leave The Airport"? Then tweet and instagram a few photos with lots of convention folks around it, and see if maybe Delta decides to look a little harder for the bags.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: 2018: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
There was an issue with ATL’s baggage sorting system around midday yesterday. About half of my ATL-PBI flight had checked baggage that didn’t make it on our flight. Luckily mine arrived around midnight last night.

Delta is calling it an airport issue, not a DL issue, so no compensation/SM.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by dafunk10
There was an issue with ATL’s baggage sorting system around midday yesterday. About half of my ATL-PBI flight had checked baggage that didn’t make it on our flight. Luckily mine arrived around midnight last night.

Delta is calling it an airport issue, not a DL issue, so no compensation/SM.
Interesting since Delta is responsible when they take control of your luggage. The fact they farm out the luggage system to the airport should not matter.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rh_jeremy
There must have been. My wife was flying home to Key West yesterday after 1:20 connection and she, along with at least a dozen other passengers didn't get their bags.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tvnwz
Interesting since Delta is responsible when they take control of your luggage. The fact they farm out the luggage system to the airport should not matter.
Really? Should every airline install their own bag handling belts at every airport? The waste of space and money is ridiculous to even thing about. Airports have been and are responsible for bag handling systems at airports. What happens when they install their own due to your new duty of care and the airport power fails?
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.