Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta sued by passenger allegedly attacked by emotional support animal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta sued by passenger allegedly attacked by emotional support animal

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
there is nothing to indicate that this was a service dog or that anyone misrepresented the animal as a service dog.
The dog was flying as an "emotional support animal" and subject to those regulations and requirements. Here's a link to the original news article from 2017: https://www.ajc.com/blog/airport/emo...hhDssxl26NwoN/

When an animal is flying for "emotional support" or as a trained service anumal, the airline cannot require that the animal be caged or in a pet carrier; they CAN require that pets otherwise be in carriers. It's also worth noting that this occurred right around the time passengers were getting more and more outlandish with their ESAs, attempting to claim exotic pets like spiders and ostriches as ESAs. It's not for me to say whether the dog was legit in this case, but the much bigger storyline clearly indicates that this happened at the same time ESA abuses were becoming more frequent and more glaring (it was at the point of being a "wink and a nod" method of circumventing pet fees.)

Reading between the lines (historically) it's pretty clear the airlines were looking for an excuse to tighten up the rules without angering disability and mental health advocacy groups, and this incident gave them what they needed.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Fortunately, the courts and society in the civilized world have adopted the position that a disability due to a mental illness should not be treated any differently from that of a disability due to a physical injury or illness. Diabetics can sometimes act "crazy", so too can people on some medications that have nothing to do with mental illness. Elderly people can sometimes become confused and lash out. And on and on it goes.
I suppose we could have avoided all this if the fellow had not been deployed to a war zone in service of his country. Then the plaintiff would not have had to sit next to an injured veteran.

Please keep in mind that the claims of the plaintiff are allegations only and they have yet to be substantiated in fact. It is common practice for the worst possible scenario to be alleged in the initial filing. This does not mean that the event occurred as described.
The plaintiff is what can be described as a person of size, or POS. It is quite possible that the gentleman from Alabama may have have done something to the animal. This too will need to be verified in court.
Your response is ridiculous and absurd. The photos of his face clearly show what happened. One should not have to fear this on a plane. This should be a never occurrence. What difference is it how much the guy weighs - are you insinuating that the dog is trained in defending his master's armrest???
Old May 30, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Gynob001
How would a doctor or a therapist know that the person with a psychological issue would benefit from an emotional support pet? To my knowledge there is no scientific documentation to suggest a specific disorder might benefit from a specific type of pet animal. All humans benefit from emotional support. It is a generic assumption that pets are good for emotional wellbeing.

Actually, there is evidence based research that suggests that certain disorders (as defined by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) can be treated (or symptoms reduced) by an ESM.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Fortunately, the courts and society in the civilized world have adopted the position that a disability due to a mental illness should not be treated any differently from that of a disability due to a physical injury or illness. Diabetics can sometimes act "crazy", so too can people on some medications that have nothing to do with mental illness. Elderly people can sometimes become confused and lash out. And on and on it goes.
I suppose we could have avoided all this if the fellow had not been deployed to a war zone in service of his country. Then the plaintiff would not have had to sit next to an injured veteran.

Please keep in mind that the claims of the plaintiff are allegations only and they have yet to be substantiated in fact. It is common practice for the worst possible scenario to be alleged in the initial filing. This does not mean that the event occurred as described.
The plaintiff is what can be described as a person of size, or POS. It is quite possible that the gentleman from Alabama may have have done something to the animal. This too will need to be verified in court.
I've not been able to track down the filing, but this is an instance where words matter (in legal-ese). More specifically, because of the press coverage and the sheer number of witnesses, I would argue that the claims that the plaintiff was attacked by that particular dog on that particular Delta flight HAVE been substantiated, and that there was immediate physical harm that was inflicted by the dog upon the plaintiff. I cannot imagine that either Delta or the dog owner would deny that the attack happened.

The real legal questions are:
  • What were Delta's obligations toward protecting one passenger vs. respecting the medical needs of another passenger?
  • Who was at fault for the attack?
  • To what extent does industry policy and practice protect the airline?
  • Was the dog legitimately an emotional support animal, or was the dog allowed on under false pretenses?
  • Was the dog properly trained, as required of an ESA?
  • Did the plaintiff provoke the attack?
So the legal response will look something like:
"Delta admits that (plaintiff) is a resident of (place) and was a passenger on (flight) on (date). Delta admits that (plaintiff) was attacked by (defendant's dog) during the boarding process. Delta admits that treatment was given by (persons) and that (plaintiff) was taken into medical care. Delta denies that proper procedures were not followed. Delta denies that the dog was not listed as an ESA. Delta denies negligence in dealing with animals on planes. (etc.)"
Old May 30, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Delta changing its policies after this attack is a tacit admission that it was partly liable.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think Delta changing its policies after this attack is a tacit admission that it was partly liable.

The changes also seem to attempt to shift as much liability as possible to the pax (making pax sign a form that the dog is trained, is safe, etc).
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:16 pm

ESA is a complete nonsense and the lawsuit should be against government. But Delta and other airlines can require same type of certification for ESA as for service animals, which would lower wide spread abuse of ESA policies.

​​​
sdadept and strickerj like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by AntonS
ESA is a complete nonsense
​​​
It's actually not. This perspective is just as unhelpful as people who think it's OK to have a fake ESA to save money and end up bringing dangerous animals on a/c. The truth, like always, is actually in the middle and will require compromise. Some people are really able to be helped in significant ways by a ESA. We need to find a way for that to continue to work for them and to prevent abuse.

Do you really think that the government and airlines would go to such great lengths to accommodate ESAs were there not real evidence for their utility?
Old May 30, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
It's actually not. This perspective is just as unhelpful as people who think it's OK to have a fake ESA to save money and end up bringing dangerous animals on a/c. The truth, like always, is actually in the middle and will require compromise. Some people are really able to be helped in significant ways by a ESA. We need to find a way for that to continue to work for them and to prevent abuse.

Do you really think that the government and airlines would go to such great lengths to accommodate ESAs were there not real evidence for their utility?
found the ESA owner... But seriously, yes I do. People love animals and its not such a stretch to say that they help a person. Is that worth that person being able to maul someone else or inconvenience others on a large scale is the question. IMO ESA owners should just drive. They will be happier and everyone else safer that way.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by sdadept
IMO ESA owners should just drive. They will be happier and everyone else safer that way.
This is not realistic. Not everyone can drive, and especially very long distances, and especially in the winter.

IMO airlines need to adapt to the reality that people have animals and create appropriate seating arrangements. Again, this would involve compromise. People with animals that are not small enough to fit under the seat in front of them just need more space. I would suggest that both the pax and the airline share in this cost.

Also, if they created seats that had space next to them for large kennels (like max one or two per flight), many owners would not feel stuck between the terrible options of having to fly your pet in the luggage hold, which has been deadly for many animals, or to lie about ESA. I would bet the many pet owners would be willing to to pay for in-cabin kennel space were it to be offered, and this would solve a lot of problems. I

The suggestion that people never bring animals on airplanes is just not realistic.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
I think there is a confusion between general pet ownership and emotional benefits as opposed to emotional support and plane travel. In most cases pet ownerships were found to beneficial were related to trauma or specific stressful events. What kind of traumatic events could occur (except in case of severe turbulence, and other major events) during a flight? Late delivery of beverages, lavatory occupied, neighbor not communicative....? When you type emotional support animals, myriads of sites appear guaranteeing "certification" in 24 hours etc. This has become a business, not a clinical issue.
sdadept likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Yes, to appease whiny snowflakes who can't be expected to take care of themselves. People are getting soft these days, no one is pulling themselves up by their own bootstraps and dealing with adversity.
The suggestion that people never bring animals on airplanes is just not realistic.
if they can ban liquids and laptops, they can certainly ban animals
sdadept and HDQDD like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by reimero
The dog was flying as an "emotional support animal" and subject to those regulations and requirements. Here's a link to the original news article from 2017: https://www.ajc.com/blog/airport/emo...hhDssxl26NwoN/

When an animal is flying for "emotional support" or as a trained service anumal, the airline cannot require that the animal be caged or in a pet carrier; they CAN require that pets otherwise be in carriers. It's also worth noting that this occurred right around the time passengers were getting more and more outlandish with their ESAs, attempting to claim exotic pets like spiders and ostriches as ESAs. It's not for me to say whether the dog was legit in this case, but the much bigger storyline clearly indicates that this happened at the same time ESA abuses were becoming more frequent and more glaring (it was at the point of being a "wink and a nod" method of circumventing pet fees.)

Reading between the lines (historically) it's pretty clear the airlines were looking for an excuse to tighten up the rules without angering disability and mental health advocacy groups, and this incident gave them what they needed.
Can't make my mind up on whether this was some guy having a laugh, probably bringing a friend with him to the airport to take the turkey back home when it was not allowed on board,
or a genuine nut: https://www.ajc.com/news/national/tu...qIQRrPXWRSnuL/
Old May 30, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
People are getting soft these days, no one is pulling themselves up by their own bootstraps and dealing with adversity.
That's one view of things. A different perspective is that in recent years we've learned a tremendous amount about human psychology in general and trauma in particular, and that we've developed all sorts of amazing ways to help people who previously would simply have to suffer. Furthermore, in my life I see many people who face terrible adversity with great strength. I'm sure you would not say that getting help with a mental illness is being "soft" but it certainly looks like you said that. Personally I think it's a great act of strength to seek help, especially in a world where doing so gets you called a "snowflake."
navi_jen, IndyHoosier and reimero like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:15 pm

That's one view of things. A different perspective is that in recent years we've learned a tremendous amount about human psychology in general and trauma in particular, and that we've developed all sorts of amazing ways to help people who previously would simply have to suffer. Furthermore, in my life I see many people who face terrible adversity with great strength. I'm sure you would not say that getting help with a mental illness is being "soft" but it certainly looks like you said that. Personally I think it's a great act of strength to seek help, especially in a world where doing so gets you called a "snowflake."
I think the problem is deeper.

I am lucky to travel and have friends in different countries. Unfortunately in the United States I see way too many people who are emotionally unstable or otherwise can not handle themselves and have all sorts of physological issues, compared to other developed countries.

Some of them suffer from past trauma or mental ilnesss but many, at least in my experience, seem to be due to social issues, including:

lack of good fiends and social interractions
lack of time / vacations / working multiple jobs
lack of access to good education
lack of access to good medical care
junk food, obesity or lack of means or understanding importance of eating healthy
easy access to drugs

Some of these issues also contribute to mental inless.

​​​​​​So instead of relying on ESA, shrinks and antidepressants , maybe we should try to address the root causes?
RooseveltL likes this.

Last edited by AntonS; May 30, 2019 at 7:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.