Wiki Posts
Search

Codeshare MQM question KLM/Virgin

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Hilton
Codeshare MQM question KLM/Virgin

Booked a Virgin Atlantic flight through KLM.. used my Delta Skymiles number in the booking. V fare class. Do you earn MQM for this? I got MQM for the Delta operated connecting flights but nothing for the JFK-MAN and MAN-ATL segments operated by VA. They show up in my account just with 0's for miles earned/MQMs earned. Flight was over 20 days ago.

Tried to figure out from Delta's site and the sticky here but unable to figure out if I am "owed" MQMs in this scenario.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by dtwjim
Booked a Virgin Atlantic flight through KLM.. used my Delta Skymiles number in the booking. V fare class. Do you earn MQM for this? I got MQM for the Delta operated connecting flights but nothing for the JFK-MAN and MAN-ATL segments operated by VA. They show up in my account just with 0's for miles earned/MQMs earned. Flight was over 20 days ago.

Tried to figure out from Delta's site and the sticky here but unable to figure out if I am "owed" MQMs in this scenario.
This answer entirely depends on which marketing carrier's flight you purchased. Marketing carrier is the first two letters in front of the flight number. If DL, the DL earning chart applies, if VS, the Virgin Atlantic chart applies, etc.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...delta-marketed

How do I know if a flight is marketed, operated, or ticketed by Delta or a partner?
The marketing carrier is determined by the two letter airline code in the flight number. For example, DL2368 is marketed by Delta and VS18 is marketed by Virgin Atlantic.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No earnings. Excluding DL coded, the operating carrier must be a Skyteam carrier if sold as a codeshare. Thus a KL coded, VS operated flight earns nothing, as VS is not in ST.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No earnings. Excluding DL coded, the operating carrier must be a Skyteam carrier if sold as a codeshare. Thus a KL coded, VS operated flight earns nothing, as VS is not in ST.
slight drift ... what about KL ticket stock (074) , AF Flight number, operated by MU .... assume 150% for business class bucket as that is the same across all 3 carriers
it is AF 5201 PVG-CDG fwiw
Old May 29, 2019, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkCron
slight drift ... what about KL ticket stock (074) , AF Flight number, operated by MU .... assume 150% for business class bucket as that is the same across all 3 carriers
If it is AF flight number, then it is AF marketed and will earn based on AF chart (and since MU is Skyteam, there should be no issues). If it is CDIZ booking class, it will earn 150% MQM's and 200% RDM's. If it is full fare J class, then it earns 200% MQM's.
MarkCron and flyerCO like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by dtwjim

The friend of my friend, even if they're my friend, won't earn you miles. When Jet Airways was around, 9W code shared with KL, AF, and DL, and they all had a close friendship, but you couldn't earn miles on a KL coded flight operated by 9W since they weren't Skyteam.

This might change soon with the new JV coming online between DL, AFKL, and VS (VA is Virgin Australia btw), but for now, you'll earn nothing.

Originally Posted by MarkCron
Ticket carrier no longer matters, used to up until 01-01-18. Then DL changed it to simplify the earning charts. What matters is Partner Flight Number > Partner Chart, ensure you satisfy the few stipulations, such as fare class listed, operating carrier listed, etc and you're good. Click here for the partner earning page. Find the marketing carrier of your flight and click "Mileage on/after..."
Old Oct 20, 2020, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
looking to use up an af voucher from a cancelled flight earlier this year....the flight is af coded but dl operated....i have to make the booking via af since i'm using the voucher....

i'm assuming this flight will be eligible for mqm earnings as per the af earning chart....please correct me if i'm wrong....
Old Oct 20, 2020, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keyser
looking to use up an af voucher from a cancelled flight earlier this year....the flight is af coded but dl operated....i have to make the booking via af since i'm using the voucher....

i'm assuming this flight will be eligible for mqm earnings as per the af earning chart....please correct me if i'm wrong....
Yes, it will be eligible and based on marketing carrier (AF) chart.
Keyser likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.