Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Success cancelling award tickets < 72 hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

I had good success cancelling award tickets less than 72 hours before departure and getting miles back. I think I did it 2 or 3 times over the last two years. Mind you, I am not trying to abuse it bookong flights that I do not intend to fly -- but rather had unexpected change of plans last minute.

"With your status it's not a problem at all to make exception" the agent said.

It's great that Delta is flexible with waiving 72 hour rule, but I would really love to have ability to cancel with possibly some penalty (i.e. do need waive change/redeposit fee for elites, higher fee closer to departure for non-elites).

What is your guys experience with 72 hour cancellarion and would you like to have flexibility to cancel within 72 hours with higher fee?
Old May 27, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I find just the inability to cancel preposterous.

These aren't discounted, like basic economy. They're regularly priced award seats that should be cancelable up to departure.

The fact they don't is just another means for them to devalue the program.
RealHJ likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
If I recall correctly this policy is the result of abuse by some DMs who would book award F seats then cancel shortly before departure to “reserve” more seats available for upgrades.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL has Basic Economy awards now. Like BE revenue tickets, they don't allow for cancellation/redeposit (including DM/PM).
Old May 27, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Paplover
If I recall correctly this policy is the result of abuse by some DMs who would book award F seats then cancel shortly before departure to “reserve” more seats available for upgrades.
THIS!

I find it preposterous that people (on this site that bragged about such activities) don't remember. Gamers gamed, so Delta changed.
jdrtravel, flyerCO and cre95 like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I doubt that it was the bragging, but rather the volume. It's likely an easy enough fraud to catch and once it becomes large enough, the fare rule became the only way to stop it.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bubbashow
THIS!

I find it preposterous that people (on this site that bragged about such activities) don't remember. Gamers gamed, so Delta changed.
?? Don't they have a Revenue Protection Unit that has software that could easily flag such abusive behavior.

I don't agree with the abuse. At all. I hate it. But, its annoying that AA allows cancellation and refund of miles up to 1 year after departure (not sure if the reservation has to be cancelled before 72 hours but the ticket refund can be processed later or what exactly) but if AA can do it up to departure without fee for their EPs, Delta should be able to do it for their DMs especially those who don't abuse.

Why not make it a DM exclusive benefit - cancel award tickets up until departure
Old May 27, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld

These aren't discounted, like basic economy. They're regularly priced award seats that should be cancelable up to departure.

Agreed. AA can do it. UA can do it. Both for their top tier elites, free, at least prior to departure at any point (no 72 hour rule).
ijgordon likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Has anyone on here actually ever been denied a redeposit within 72 hours when they called and asked? In my experience this is one of the more flexible policies they have, with agents having direct discretion over it (no need for a supervisor).

I think the 72 hours policy is good for discouraging PM/DMs from holding valuable award space that others may need for last minute travel.
emrdoc likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Has anyone on here actually ever been denied a redeposit within 72 hours when they called and asked? In my experience this is one of the more flexible policies they have, with agents having direct discretion over it (no need for a supervisor).

I think the 72 hours policy is good for discouraging PM/DMs from holding valuable award space that others may need for last minute travel.
I've never been denied making a change. However I've been denied asking for a straight out cancel. To be fair, I've also been granted a refund in that situation. Seems to be a YMMV situation with a lot of agent discretion.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I've never been denied making a change. However I've been denied asking for a straight out cancel. To be fair, I've also been granted a refund in that situation. Seems to be a YMMV situation with a lot of agent discretion.
What is the difference between a cancel and a refund within T-72?
Old May 27, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld

disagree. if you cannot commit to a flight at T-72 hours well I think one should only fly private jets.

72 hours is perfectly reasonable. And it prevents fraud and abuse for a whole host or reasons. This is a good policy. The reverse is delta over charging for all award flights to accommodate those who will simply no show and then delta has an empty seat (albeit paid for).
Old May 27, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by mridley2
disagree. if you cannot commit to a flight at T-72 hours well I think one should only fly private jets.
What kind of job/life/relationships/immune system do you have that would lead you to make that claim?
Old May 28, 2019, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle

What is the difference between a cancel and a refund within T-72?
None. Not sure where you're getting that difference from. I said I've had no problems making a change. Generally straight out cancelling no luck, but have also had it happen.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:42 am

Tagging on here just for your thoughts

i have a reward flight to PUJ next Friday. There’s a 50/50 shot I could go on Thursday, but I won’t know until Tues or Wed. I’m planning to call and throw myself on tut mercy of the agent if I can get away early but was curious what people think my chances are. (I’m only gold thanks to my million mile status so not much help with status).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.