Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Booked PVG-NYC flight priced in CNY, saved $100 vs buying in USD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Maybe this is common knowledge (or I just got lucky), but I just saved $100 per person booking my PVG (Shanghai)-LGA flight priced in Chinese Yuan (CNY) on Delta.com as opposed to prices I am seeing on Kayak and other travel sites. Delta showed a price of 5222 CNY for Premium Economy and I was confused about only seeing the price in CNY (and not being able to change it) . But I learned in threads here that this is how Delta always operates. And when I finally looked up the conversion rate, I was shocked to see that it was around a hundred dollars less than the other sites were showing in USD ($756 vs $855).

I originally wanted to fly into Stewart (SWF), which I was also seeing at $855) but could not figure out how to get Delta to show me a reasonable price into there. For $200 in savings, I'll fly into LGA (which was preferable to JFK or EWR). Also at one point during my research, the price went up to 5472 CNY, but fortunately when I checked this time it was back down to 5222.

So I guess my question is, how often does this happen where the foreign currency price actually is cheaper? I noticed at least one post here complaining about unfavorable exchange rates so I was surprised that this worked out to my benefit.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Pretty common! I also recommend searching on ctrip.com, a Chinese OTA which often has uniquely good fares and hotel rates in the region...
Old May 26, 2019, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing unusual.
When the CNY is converted to your USA credit card in US$ it may be more less the airline web site.
flyerCO likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BenA
Pretty common! I also recommend searching on ctrip.com, a Chinese OTA which often has uniquely good fares and hotel rates in the region...
Thanks. Tied that but it sent me to trip.com when I said I wanted it in US English and then showed me the higher prices I'd seen elsewhere. Could not get the Chinese language version of the page to work properly when translated.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Nothing unusual.
When the CNY is converted to your USA credit card in US$ it may be more less the airline web site.
The pending charge is showing up as $1512 on the Chase site (used CSR). And even a small currency fluctuation won't matter when the price is $100 less per ticket.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Really has nothing to do with airline. Most tickets are sold in the currency of country where first flight tdepart when bought online.

Prices normally aren't set to fluctuate based on currency bought in. Instead the item has a price set for it in various currencies. Same with airline fares. Price in CNY has nothing to do with the price in USD.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Very much off topic, but I'm flying PVG-MEX-JFK in business for $2,900... still close to 2x your price but if you have the time, and want to earn 30k mqm and 8,000 mqd, consider aeromexico.
(Mentioning this given you're still in the 24h window)
Old May 26, 2019, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mayhem
Very much off topic, but I'm flying PVG-MEX-JFK in business for $2,900... still close to 2x your price but if you have the time, and want to earn 30k mqm and 8,000 mqd, consider aeromexico.
(Mentioning this given you're still in the 24h window)
Almost 4x my price since the $1500 was for 2 tickets. And I don't fly that much so MQM don't really matter to me (I know that is heresy for many here).
Old May 26, 2019, 11:14 am

I found something similar to this, but a micro amount compared to yours! A few months ago I flew Lufthansa ORD-FRA-BOM. On the ORD-FRA flight, I wanted to purchase the 24 hour wifi pass. This would also cover the flight to Mumbai. I could purchase the wifi in USD, EUR, or CNY. I did a little exchange rate calculation, and I discovered that it was cheaper using CNY. The credit card I used has no foreign exchange fee. I checked the final charge to my credit card, and it was indeed cheaper paying with CNY. I don't recall the exact amount I saved, but it would have been in the 5-10% range.
Old May 26, 2019, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When duty free was sold on board, sometimes one could save minor amounts by paying cash in the "right" currency to exploit the exchange rate conversions that were used as they didn't change frequently.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Just noticed something strange. I checked Kayak and it's reporting $854 from Delta. But when I click on the link it takes me to delta.com where it's still going to charge me the same 5222 CNY. Travelocity was showing a similar price.($856), but they're charging me in dollars.

So I don't understand how Kayak is coming up with the inflated converted price. I can understand a few percent higher, but 13%?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.