Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Choose a Main cabin seat on a Comfort ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Hi. I'm looking at getting an award ticket for my granddaughter from ORD to LGA on August 5th. The flight I want, because her Mom already has a ticket on that flight, is listed as 16,000 miles for Delta Comfort and 19,000 miles for Main (!). If I get her a Comfort ticket, can I get her a seat with her Mom in the Main cabin? Among other things, she's only 3 so she can't sit by herself.

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, my search capabilities couldn't unearth it.

Thanks!
Old May 24, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by scoonee
Hi. I'm looking at getting an award ticket for my granddaughter from ORD to LGA on August 5th. The flight I want, because her Mom already has a ticket on that flight, is listed as 16,000 miles for Delta Comfort and 19,000 miles for Main (!). If I get her a Comfort ticket, can I get her a seat with her Mom in the Main cabin? Among other things, she's only 3 so she can't sit by herself.

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, my search capabilities couldn't unearth it.

Thanks!
I think the bigger problem might be that this would be a separate itinerary, and I'm not sure how that's going to work with just a 3-year-old on it. But I will say that on the seat map, you will only be able to select a seat in your current class, along with any higher classes that are available for a money or miles upgrade. If you're in Comfort Plus, those are the only seats you can choose from. So, no, you won't be able to choose a Main Cabin seat.
Old May 24, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
I had this happen recently where Comfort + was cheaper than Main Cabin through my corporate travel portal for whatever reason, so I booked it without looking at the seat map. There were only middles left in Comfort +, but an aisle exit row seat available. I called DL to see if I could get the downgrade, but the agent said it wouldn't let her do it and she'd have to refare the ticket. With a little bit of HUCA and prodding, I'm not sure if I would've had more luck (particularly in this sort of a case with a 3 year old), but I was surprised that it wasn't an easy switch.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What would it cost to put the mother into a C+ seat?
Old May 24, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
In my (limited) experience, the system won't let you do a voluntary downgrade. Not too long ago my wife and I flew F overseas, but the first and last legs were in a CR2, which means C+/bulkhead. The system would not allow us to move out of row 1.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by reimero
In my (limited) experience, the system won't let you do a voluntary downgrade. Not too long ago my wife and I flew F overseas, but the first and last legs were in a CR2, which means C+/bulkhead. The system would not allow us to move out of row 1.
Did you call DL? Or ask the GA, lounge dragon, check in agent etc. at the airport?
Old May 24, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you call DL? Or ask the GA, lounge dragon, check in agent etc. at the airport?
No, it was just a short hop
Old May 24, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
You should be able to -- at least when I've been upgraded at booking as a PM, both the C+ and regular main cabin Y seat map is typically available for me to choose from

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.