Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How worthy is chasing status?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
8000 MQM, 1800MQD = 22.5% earnings. The best thing to do is book a class that gives you 20% (1600 MQD} and pick up the remainder on a short domestic flight (SFO - LAX/SEA/PDX for example).
25% requires a YBM fare but 20% opens up a lot more (U,K,W,P,F on KL) (U,K on AF) and (H,K,V,T on AZ)

Added:
If you're doing this for the RUC's to and from SFO, you're probably wasting your $. There was a recent thread which addressed the almost impossible success rate with RUC's on SFO Transcons. Also, any DM will be above you.

Last edited by SuperG1955; May 24, 2019 at 12:26 pm
Old May 24, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
Do you see a google.com/flights link or ITA matrix link?
I can't seem to replicate this
Thanks a ton for all the help!
Go to the Virgin Atlantic website and search that way. They also have a flexible date search

You may want to check out flights on Virgin Atlantic from SFO as well. Sometimes, they have really good deals.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; May 24, 2019 at 12:40 pm
Old May 24, 2019, 2:17 pm

Buying D1 transcons 6 times is like $1600 X 5 = $8k
Thats not good. I think PM RUCs get you 4 of those for free. So, it's totally worth it to get status than pay for seats.
Yea, but you are making a huge assumption that your RUCs will clear.
acrophobia likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
Go to the Virgin Atlantic website and search that way. They also have a flexible date search

You may want to check out flights on Virgin Atlantic from SFO as well. Sometimes, they have really good deals.
Found it on the VS website. Economy Delight codes as which fare bucket? Can't find it on the website?
Old May 24, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
From your posts, you already admit PM is a one off status for you based on MQD for renewal, and you're doing it for the transcon upgrades. The latter are not likely to materialize (I wouldn't be surprised if a PM with an RUC is still in the "teens" on the upgrade list for D1 service flights). So why not keep crediting these flights to Alaska to keep your MVPG status active where you claim to be having moderate success? You'll also earn more redeemable miles on AS, and the redeemable miles are more valuable on AS.
SuperG1955 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Just buy the FCM fares and don't worry about status. Much better than worrying about upgrades.
cre95 and Duke787 like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Found it on the VS website. Economy Delight codes as which fare bucket? Can't find it on the website?
All VS Economy Delight fares book as V class fares (not to be confused with DL/AF/KL V fares). You can't search for them on Google Flights (which only lets you select between coach and Premium Economy fares).
Old May 24, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
For 4-6 times flights a year it's absolutely not worth it. Chance of getting a D1 upgrade is small if flying JFK - LAX/SFO.

The cost of either buying up to F (if not a D1 flight) or C+ on those 4-6 flights is likely less than the cost of doing the status run.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
if your status doesn't matter after this year then why do you care about the remainder of the qualification period? the RUCs are nice but not a guarantee. even as a PM I still don't always get upgraded to F and I have even been in regular main cabin. if you only fly 4-6 times a year I don't think status should be an issue for you at all.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I sometimes have trouble using RUCs on flights over 3 hours....as a DM.

Based on the limited use case and travel pattern OP describes, I also think chasing this just for RUCs isn't worth it.

SFO has at least decent competition for TCONs and if OP is flying for leisure, that hopefully means he/she has some date/time flexibility. Just shop around for the best fares on whatever airline and purchase as needed.
Old May 25, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I find in today’s day and age the benefits o be marginal and not related to hard product, but instead related to customer service. Shorter wait times, better luggage allowances, etc. I personally tend to pay more for better seats now rather than chase status. I remain extremely loyal to Delta over other airlines, but that is simply because I like their product over other airlines rather than try to keep playing the mileage run game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.