Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How worthy is chasing status?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
Yeah its R type.
JFK-CDG-JFK is 7,269 miles. R class is 5% MQD earning, so $363 MQD.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Definitely have to see what youre looking at and how much youre willing to spend..
Old May 24, 2019, 5:40 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
PM is my minimum since you get free redeposot awards and a chance at upgrades. For transcontinental flights, you’re not likely to get it much less a travel passenger. Best bet is apply your RUC at the time of booking (need to call). Good luck getting the spend!
Old May 24, 2019, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah its R type.
I checked ExpertFlyer. There is 0 KLM or AF flights in the W/U/P/K/F fare bucket.
AF and KL don't share all fare classes. P/F are first class fares on AF, for example. A discount Premium Economy fare on AF will probably be the most reasonable option and will often be cheaper than the higher fare class coach fares. All AF Premium Economy (W/S/A) fares earn at the same rate (30% MQD's), so you don't have have to worry about the booking class. KL does not have Premium Economy. Canadian airports will generally be cheaper than US (YVR/YYZ to JNB/CPT, for example).

Last edited by xliioper; May 24, 2019 at 6:37 am
Old May 24, 2019, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xliioper
AF and KL don't share all fare classes. P/F are first class fares on AF, for example. A discount Premium Economy fare on AF will probably be the most reasonable option and will often be cheaper than the higher fare class coach fares. All AF Premium Economy (W/S/A) fares earn at the same rate (30% MQD's), so you don't have have to worry about the booking class. KL does not have Premium Economy. Canadian airports will generally be cheaper than US (YVR/YYZ to JNB/CPT, for example).
We don't know where the OP is located, but if we estimate that a TATL AF flight is about 4,000 miles (good estimate for MSP and ORD, for instance), 30% MQD earnings would be 2400 MQDs for the RT (0.30 X 8000 miles RT), which is a pretty reasonable PE fare. It doesn't look like a good way to get MQDs for little money in this example.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: DL PM
4-6 RT transcons a year. Why not just buy the seat you want and not bother to chase status at all?
gooselee and safari ari like this.

Last edited by DLX5; May 24, 2019 at 9:23 am
Old May 24, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Don't Delta status matches require you to fly on Delta metal? Do partner MQMs qualify you?
Old May 24, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by EmptyKim
Don't Delta status matches require you to fly on Delta metal? Do partner MQMs qualify you?
From Delta.com (Bolding mine)

MQMs, MQSs and MQDs earned on Delta- and Delta Connection-operated flights will count towards this challenge. MQMs, MQSs and MQDs may also be earned on partner airline flights that are eligible to earn MQMs, MQSs and MQDs. Visit Airline Partners to learn more about what flights qualify.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLX5
4-6 RT transcons a year. Why not just buy the seat you want and not bother to chase status at all?
Buying D1 transcons 6 times is like $1600 X 5 = $8k
Thats not good. I think PM RUCs get you 4 of those for free. So, it's totally worth it to get status than pay for seats.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Buying D1 transcons 6 times is like $1600 X 5 = $8k
Thats not good. I think PM RUCs get you 4 of those for free. So, it's totally worth it to get status than pay for seats.
But PM status requires $9000 spend and you only get four RUCs, which are still based on availability of upgrade inventory.
gooselee and acrophobia like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
We don't know where the OP is located, but if we estimate that a TATL AF flight is about 4,000 miles (good estimate for MSP and ORD, for instance), 30% MQD earnings would be 2400 MQDs for the RT (0.30 X 8000 miles RT), which is a pretty reasonable PE fare. It doesn't look like a good way to get MQDs for little money in this example.
Im in SFO. But I would like to find a cheap fare from east coast (say BOS or JFK) to anywhere in Europe that can earn me 1800 MQDs so that just a single RT (Aug 22-Sept 3) can get me PM status.
I am planning to travel to Italy during those dates. I searched around in expertflyer and nothing looks promising yet.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Im in SFO. But I would like to find a cheap fare from east coast (say BOS or JFK) to anywhere in Europe that can earn me 1800 MQDs so that just a single RT (Aug 22-Sept 3) can get me PM status.
I am planning to travel to Italy during those dates. I searched around in expertflyer and nothing looks promising yet.
VS JFK/BOS - LHR ED fares are around $700. You can earn over 1800 MQD's if you connect through DTW on DL metal in at least one direction.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
But PM status requires $9000 spend and you only get four RUCs, which are still based on availability of upgrade inventory.
status matched PM doesn't require 9000 spend. I don't plan to renew PM the regular way after my status matched PM expires!
Old May 24, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by DLX5
If you barely fly (more for leisure) and can barely get to the thresholds, it would seem more worthwhile to pay as needed, then to go out of your way to pay more for additional mileage runs just to potentially get the benefits of status. Flying upfront on paid fares will net you roughly the same benefits as status, with less time and money spent.
gooselee likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
VS JFK/BOS - LHR ED fares are around $700. You can earn over 1800 MQD's if you connect through DTW on DL metal in at least one direction.
Do you see a google.com/flights link or ITA matrix link?
I can't seem to replicate this
Thanks a ton for all the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.