Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

PRG-JFK: OLCI FCM or airport DoD buy up?

Old May 22, 2019, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM (ST E+), AA PM, UA GM

Hey all...

I fly TATL to Paris monthly, and my strategy has been to fly AF as they have a true PE class of service that I then upgrade to J on an AF OLCI FCM offer for the CDG-JFK leg (much less expensive than booking r/t J from the start).

I never fly Delta TATL because of the lack of a true PE class of service (don't mind flying PE if no J avail but really don't want to fly regular Coach). Unfortunately, I find myself flying Delta TATL in June as they have the only non-stop JFK-PRG. I booked I (business) for the JFK-PRG leg and Q (coach) for the return.

Looking for advice if I should accept a Delta OLCI FCM offer or would the DoD airport buy-up be less expensive?

Thanks!
Old May 22, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by TheStrongOne
Hey all...

I fly TATL to Paris monthly, and my strategy has been to fly AF as they have a true PE class of service that I then upgrade to J on an AF OLCI FCM offer for the CDG-JFK leg (much less expensive than booking r/t J from the start).

I never fly Delta TATL because of the lack of a true PE class of service (don't mind flying PE if no J avail but really don't want to fly regular Coach). Unfortunately, I find myself flying Delta TATL in June as they have the only non-stop JFK-PRG. I booked I (business) for the JFK-PRG leg and Q (coach) for the return.

Looking for advice if I should accept a Delta OLCI FCM offer or would the DoD airport buy-up be less expensive?

Thanks!
Even if DL were to offer this (and I've never seen it ex-Europe, but then again I'm usually already in J so not sure I would know), I wouldn't trust a contract agent at an outstation to do it right. If you have an OLCI offer (or earlier) I would just go for it.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:49 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Hey all...

Thanks!
Just out of curiosity, how much are these OLCI offers going for? There are multiple reports at the AF/KL forum about prices going up in the past years and for IAD-CDG they are really high. I am booked on a JFK-CDG flight in PE and would definitely take advantage of a OLCI upgrade if offered at a good price.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL doesn't do DoD upgrades. They're offered ex-CDG/AMS, but that's due to AF/KLM handling all of DL flights.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Just out of curiosity, how much are these OLCI offers going for? There are multiple reports at the AF/KL forum about prices going up in the past years and for IAD-CDG they are really high. I am booked on a JFK-CDG flight in PE and would definitely take advantage of a OLCI upgrade if offered at a good price.
If you're in PE and not PS, would this be an AF operated flight? I wouldn't expect a good OLCI D1 buyup on DL from JFK to CDG as it's a flagship business oriented route.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're in PE and not PS, would this be an AF operated flight? I wouldn't expect a good OLCI D1 buyup on DL from JFK to CDG as it's a flagship business oriented route.
AF Operated flight. I do this route mainly in paid AF business several times / year. In the past I've got upgrades for 300-400 Euros from PE to Business, but since late 2017 AF changed the OLCI upgrade prices to a more dynamic model, this is why I'm interested to know how much OP has paid in the last year or so.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:11 am
Original Poster

"Just out of curiosity, how much are these OLCI offers going for?

I've generally been paying around $1k for the OLCI AF PE to J upgrade CDG-JFK, which brings my r/t total in J to about $2,500 less than what I am quoted when I make my reservations.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I've generally been paying around $1k for the OLCI AF PE to J upgrade CDG-JFK.
If you pay a thousand dollars for the upgrade in each direction, you're not saving if one compares a DL TATL PS RT fare in class G to a DL TATL D1 RT fare in class Z. [Note that my statement is based on my perception of general DL TATL fares and not The JFK-CDG route in particular.]
Old May 22, 2019, 11:18 am
Original Poster

"DL doesn't do DoD upgrades. They're offered ex-CDG/AMS, but that's due to AF/KLM handling all of DL flights."

@flyerCO This is a PRG-JFK leg and is DL metal.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:21 am

"DL doesn't do DoD upgrades. They're offered ex-CDG/AMS, but that's due to AF/KLM handling all of DL flights."

Then the first sentence applies and there will be no DoD upgrade offer for your flight.
flyerCO and TheStrongOne like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:21 am
Original Poster

"If you pay a thousand dollars for the upgrade in each direction, you're not saving if one compares a DL TATL PS RT fare in class G to a DL TATL D1 RT fare in class Z. [Note that my statement is based on my perception of general DL TATL fares and not The JFK-CDG route in particular.]"

@MSPeconomist :

1. I'm J outbound from JFK so I'm only upgrading the CDG-JFK return.
2. This is AF not DL.
3. I'm definitely saving at least $2,500 over J r/t as I compare the total each time (JFK-CDG-JFK) I look at the FCM price.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

This is my point. DL doesn't do DoD upgrades. You may get an offer during OLCI, you may not. Only DL flights ex-CDG/AMS have DoD upgrades for sale, and only because AF/KLM does the handling.
TheStrongOne likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Then the first sentence applies and there will be no DoD upgrade offer for your flight.
Gotcha! Then I'll have to see what the cost would be at the airport... at least I have row 30, if I end up staying in Coach.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:26 am

Gotcha! Then I'll have to see what the cost would be at the airport.
The cost at the airport will be the difference between the fare you paid and the walkup D1 fare for the flight that day, assuming that seats are available and there's time to have the ticket reissued. Otherwise the cost will be infinite.
TheStrongOne likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:36 am

I've generally been paying around $1k for the OLCI AF PE to J upgrade CDG-JFK, which brings my r/t total in J to about $2,500 less than what I am quoted when I make my reservations.
Thanks. This is consistent with the latest reports on the AF forum. In the past, it was less than 500 Euros from PE to J.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.