Is MSP-HNL flight a thing of the past?

Old May 21, 19, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, MM
Is MSP-HNL flight a thing of the past?

Hi, I am looking at air routings for my annual trip to HNL after Thanksgiving. Last year I flew D1 on a direct flight MSP-HNL. Now the only D1 routes I see mainland-HNL are through ATL. Has DL axed the MSP-HNL direct flights? Thank you!
Old May 21, 19, 2:49 pm

Looks like there are dates in March with lie-flats on A330, probably to capture spring break traffic.

Hopefully they will add add more dates, but they look pretty limited for now.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old May 21, 19, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL/UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold
I flew it last week. It's a seasonal flight but I don't know when. There are some days in the week it doesn't operate when it's in service
jaimemayo likes this.
Old May 21, 19, 3:38 pm

Google Flights shows it does not operate Sep - mid-Dec. Flight returns on Dec. 21st. No Tue/Wed service in Jan/Feb. Daily thereafter. DTW flight is also suspended in the Fall and returns Dec. 21.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 3:18 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt
Delta has added a A330 again for the season from SLC - HNL. It isn't D1 service, but the beds are great. I checked and it's available on and after November 30. If you wait, they might even put MSP - HNL back up. I booked too early and missed the direct from SLC on the 330.
Old May 22, 19, 5:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm surprised that the southerners running DL don't think that folks from the frozen north would want to go someplace warm like Hawaii for Thanksgiving break.
JA610, jaimemayo, SFO777 and 1 others like this.
Old May 22, 19, 6:56 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I'm surprised that the southerners running DL don't think that folks from the frozen north would want to go someplace warm like Hawaii for Thanksgiving break.
I was going to say the same thing. The one time Iíve flown HNL-MSP was coming back from Hawaii over Thanksgiving, and I think thatís actually the time of year it was originally added to the schedule for. I doubt itís for lack of widebodies that time of year. Wonder what DLís reasoning is for not running it that time of year (obviously they believe they can make better revenue elsewhere but still wondering what the specifics of that decision are, not that weíll ever know).
Old May 22, 19, 7:09 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post

I was going to say the same thing. The one time Iíve flown HNL-MSP was coming back from Hawaii over Thanksgiving, and I think thatís actually the time of year it was originally added to the schedule for. I doubt itís for lack of widebodies that time of year. Wonder what DLís reasoning is for not running it that time of year (obviously they believe they can make better revenue elsewhere but still wondering what the specifics of that decision are, not that weíll ever know).
It's curious, especially as increasingly people tend to take off the entire Thanksgiving week from work/school, so that rather than being a four or five day holiday weekend, we're seeing Thanksgiving expand to become a ten day long "weekend".
Old May 22, 19, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
I wish they would add a DTW/HNL flight. Northwest had one for a while but I don't think it lasted that long
Old May 22, 19, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I wish they would add a DTW/HNL flight. Northwest had one for a while but I don't think it lasted that long
I suspect that DL can fill (at prices that are good for DL in terms or profit) either MSP-HNL or DTW-HNL on a nice big plane, but not both, and it might be too complicated to alternate days.
Old May 22, 19, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
I suspect that DL can fill (at prices that are good for DL in terms or profit) either MSP-HNL or DTW-HNL on a nice big plane, but not both, and it might be too complicated to alternate days.
I can't remember if Northwest did that flight every day or just a few days a week when they had that route. I remember it didn't last that long.
Old May 22, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
Funny you should mention this, Delta added this flight back a few months ago and it starts this summer! https://news.delta.com/deltas-new-de...s-reach-hawaii
jaimemayo likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 10:18 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive

Hence why it used to alternate. When HNL-DTW was on, most of the time it was alternating with MSP-HNL. 2 or 3 days a week DTW-HNL, other 5 or 4 days a week MSP-HNL. Same aircraft.

Now HNL-ATL and MSP-ATL always switch aircrafts in HNL (ATL inbound goes out to MSP and vice versa, that is how it works every day). If HNL-MSP, that has been year round for ages (a decade+) goes, given how packed full it has been on 747 earlier, then A330, now even more so on the tiny 767 (good luck booking a J seat), then DL must be doing really badly that it can't profitably fill the plane anymore, or can't control its expenses. AA, in the meanwhile, is adding more 777 and 787 lie-flat service to ORD and 3x daily to DTW now. Pretty much if you want a better flying experience, then have to go with UA (EWR, IAD) or AA (ORD, DTW), who keep adding more flights, vs. shrinking, as DL has been doing for the last several years all around. Well or HA via JFK or BOS, but then has to be JetBlue for the connection to be on a single ticket.
Old May 22, 19, 10:51 am

It's anecdotal but DL seems to be pulling out of some major markets recently: IIRC DXB, SVO, TPE, BKK, HKG, HNL to some extent, and SIN/MNL expected in the near future.I can't think of obviously equivalent cities being added other than restoring India flights and perhaps doing more flights to Africa (which I presume carry their own challenges). I'm not sure about some seasonal service, such as ATH or the TATL routes that are sometimes served nonstop from both JFK and ATL.

Overall DL seems to be shrinking, but is this just capacity discipline (right sizing aircraft and more?) that we're seeing or is DL ceding passengers to LCCs? I think overall air passenger numbers across all airlines are rising, not falling, although of course a lot of the increase could be mainland China.
Old May 22, 19, 10:56 am

Programs: DL GM, AS MVP, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post

Airlines also tend to pull more a/c out of rotation during the winter/low season for maintenance. Itís possible that DL wants to route the traffic to a West Coast hub like LAX/SEA that has higher PDEW and shorter stage length, as LAX/SEA-HI can be flown with narrowbodies.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: