Wiki Posts
Search

just waiting for late plane

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
Seriously - you're joking, right? SLC sees about 4 752s a day - one to DCA, PHL, MCO, ATL. I don't think they just have them sitting around waiting to up-gauge from a A319.

The only possible option if we want to humor the notion is an A320. Yes, it is doable (United runs a A320 on a route to Denver* - almost certainly payload restricted), but there are still performance considerations. They may be able to do it, but it is not a standard routing option and a dispatcher would certainly have to look at it closely. Most operational upgauging happens on high density routes that have a variety of different equipment serviced (including the upgauged size). Bringing in brand new equipment that does not usually go to the site is asking for trouble (even if it is true that the A320 and A319 should be basically interchangeable from an airport ops perspective).

JAC is at 6450'. If it was at sea level, that would be equivalent to a bit more than a 5000 foot runway - 700 feet shorter than SNA which can barely do A320 ops itself.

*edit: Of note - United's A320s engines are rated at 27K thrust. Delta's A320s are the 23.5K flavor - same as their A319s.
DL’s 757 usage into SLC has so much slack. Let me give you two examples from Wednesday when I posted:

N684DA arrived into SLC from DCA at 7:24pm. It sat 14-hours before it finally flew again Thursday morning at 9:30am back to DCA. It turned back to SLC where it sat another 14-hours before doing Friday’s 9:30am SLC-DCA.

N6715C arrived into SLC from MCO at 7:36pm. It sat 14-hours before it flew Thursday mornings 9:30am SLC-MCO, turned around to do MCO-SLC where it then sat another 14-hours before doing Friday mornings SLC-MCO again.

Now - do you still think I’m joking?

Old May 24, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
DL’s 757 usage into SLC has so much slack. Let me give you two examples from Wednesday when I posted:

N684DA arrived into SLC from DCA at 7:24pm. It sat 14-hours before it finally flew again Thursday morning at 9:30am back to DCA. It turned back to SLC where it sat another 14-hours before doing Friday’s 9:30am SLC-DCA.

N6715C arrived into SLC from MCO at 7:36pm. It sat 14-hours before it flew Thursday mornings 9:30am SLC-MCO, turned around to do MCO-SLC where it then sat another 14-hours before doing Friday mornings SLC-MCO again.

Now - do you still think I’m joking?

Sure, a naive interpretation says it would work great. Take one the DCA flight that got there at 7:24, try to turn it around very quickly and put it on the 8:19 PM (oops, it's a bit of a delay as it will take longer than that to turn a 752), it's back the next morning at 8 AM in time for the 9:30 AM flights.. perfect! Right until you realize you just burned an entire 757 crew's flight window for two one-hour flights. They can't then do an out-and-back to DCA or MCO because they can't work that long before timing out (or at a high risk of timeout). So now you've got to scramble to find an extra 757 crew in MCO.. maybe I can deadhead some people from ATL to MCO? But crap, now they're out of position in SLC... do I reschedule the people that were supposed to fly the next day's flights and try to get them back to ATL?

Your argument might work if they ran a lot of 757 frequencies so they could find a way to sliver in crew time as the logical end. But they don't. They have a super small 757/767 pilot base in SLC and very limited 757/767 ops.

Delta is pretty good at finding creative solutions to IRROPS. But they're going to take a 1-hour delay over mucking up crew and flight ops for days after.

appleguru likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
Sure, a naive interpretation says it would work great. Take one the DCA flight that got there at 7:24, try to turn it around very quickly and put it on the 8:19 PM (oops, it's a bit of a delay as it will take longer than that to turn a 752), it's back the next morning at 8 AM in time for the 9:30 AM flights.. perfect! Right until you realize you just burned an entire 757 crew's flight window for two one-hour flights. They can't then do an out-and-back to DCA or MCO because they can't work that long before timing out (or at a high risk of timeout). So now you've got to scramble to find an extra 757 crew in MCO.. maybe I can deadhead some people from ATL to MCO? But crap, now they're out of position in SLC... do I reschedule the people that were supposed to fly the next day's flights and try to get them back to ATL?

Your argument might work if they ran a lot of 757 frequencies so they could find a way to sliver in crew time as the logical end. But they don't. They have a super small 757/767 pilot base in SLC and very limited 757/767 ops.

Delta is pretty good at finding creative solutions to IRROPS. But they're going to take a 1-hour delay over mucking up crew and flight ops for days after.
SLC is a large hub for DL, so your post makes no sense. Why would they have to RON the 757 in JAC when it could turn around and be back in SLC in 25-30 mins? There’s zero need to worry about burning through a crew when they could source a fresh crew in SLC for the following days SLC-MCO.

Your naive interpretation didn’t work out so well....

Old May 27, 2019, 8:19 pm

SLC is a large hub for DL, so your post makes no sense. Why would they have to RON the 757 in JAC when it could turn around and be back in SLC in 25-30 mins? There’s zero need to worry about burning through a crew when they could source a fresh crew in SLC for the following days SLC-MCO.

Because if they didn't RON it then there would be no aircraft to operate the return flight in the morning. And they're not going to want to fly it back and fly another empty one out. Much easier just to wait a few minutes. And much less costly.
ethernal and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

This relies on the assumption that even if a 757 is available, there is a crew available to operate it and that a fresh 757 crew is currently on ready reserve at SLC waiting around at this late hour and themselves haven't timed-out or there is a 757 crew arriving at SLC who has enough hours to be able to fly a 757 to JAC and back.
ethernal likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
This relies on the assumption that even if a 757 is available, there is a crew available to operate it and that a fresh 757 crew is currently on ready reserve at SLC waiting around at this late hour and themselves haven't timed-out or there is a 757 crew arriving at SLC who has enough hours to be able to fly a 757 to JAC and back.
Since we're talking a planned upgauging, the answer in the particular situation you're responding to is that they would operate DCA-SLC with a fresh crew that can operate the following flights without any problem.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation
I would bet a lot of this depends on seasonality too. Off peak, there are probably a lot of planes sitting around idle. Memorial day weekend, I am sure every plane they have available is scheduled for service. This weekend, it might even be less than 15-20 sitting around.
I don't know any of the numbers for sure, but given DL's successful crusade against cancellations, there's no way they have any weekend operating with no spares.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by SamOF
I don't know any of the numbers for sure, but given DL's successful crusade against cancellations, there's no way they have any weekend operating with no spares.
I don't think anyone is arguing that DL doesn't have spares. But in this situation it's a much better idea for DL to delay 1 flight for 1 hour, than trying to scramble to upgauge a flight the next day to accommodate the 25 missed connections. Especially when it was the last flight of the day and that plane/crew was going to RON.
And aircraft swaps are much more complicated than just switching it out day of departure.
ethernal and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by kop84
I don't think anyone is arguing that DL doesn't have spares. But in this situation it's a much better idea for DL to delay 1 flight for 1 hour, than trying to scramble to upgauge a flight the next day to accommodate the 25 missed connections. Especially when it was the last flight of the day and that plane/crew was going to RON.
And aircraft swaps are much more complicated than just switching it out day of departure.
Not to mention that having 25 people delayed 8-12 hours (or more, depending on the flight schedule) is much more of an overall inconvenience than delaying, at most, ~100 passengers 50 minutes so they can make their flight. A 50-minute delay is relatively common, especially at that time of day, and I'd certainly at least understand that as a possibility when choosing that flight.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:45 am

So let me get this straight.. you're proposing that - in order to avoid a 50 minute delay - Delta scrambles to find a crew to fly the 757 to JAC, and then have them turn the same plane empty from JAC, and then fly an empty A319 and RON it in SLC so that there is a plane to fly the return route? So in order to avoid a 50 minute delay (for a plane that was already going to RON) they will fly not one but two empty segments?

Are you insane?

PS - SLC is not a large hub for Delta. It is their third smallest hub (only larger than O/D focused LAX and barely birthed SEA). MSP, DTW, ATL, JFK, even O/D-oriented LGA by a nose are larger than SLC.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by kop84
Well...the post both you and I responded to said that on holiday weekends DL schedules every plane they have available. And that just seems very, very unlikely.

To be clear, I'm not arguing that aircraft swaps are easy. But it's a response to the posters who say that the 25 missed connections would be necessarily stuck for days—I think it's worth pointing out that an swap is a possible solution (even if it comes with the logistical challenges that others have raised).
Old May 28, 2019, 8:36 am

Well...the post both you and I responded to said that on holiday weekends DL schedules every plane they have available. And that just seems very, very unlikely.

To be clear, I'm not arguing that aircraft swaps are easy. But it's a response to the posters who say that the 25 missed connections would be necessarily stuck for days—I think it's worth pointing out that an swap is a possible solution (even if it comes with the logistical challenges that others have raised).
SLC definitely has spares, but spares are complicated. Is it the right type of spare? Going to JAC, the only no-brainer larger size swap is a 757 due to the short runway at altitude. I doubt that SLC has a spare 757 (at least in the traditional sense - there is slack in the schedule as a poster above pointed out). There are likely spare 737s, A320s, or both - and probably a spare 717, especially given the low capital costs for those planes.

The only Delta hub that I have routinely seen aggressive plane swapping is ATL. It's the only airport in Delta's network that I don't even bother to track the inbound plane because if it is late there is a high probability of a swap (usually to the same gauge). I've seen (not frequent but at least once every few months) upgauges the morning of - often at the back of an IRROPS-filled night that likely meant a lot of extra people needing to get somewhere. I don't think I've ever seen a downgauge but I'm sure they happen too.

But a large part of that is an artifact of Atlanta's scale - which is truly unique - not just within Delta but in the US as a whole. ATL is twice as large as the next largest US hub (DFW), and ATL is about four times larger than the next largest Delta hub. That type of operational scale provides a lot of flexibility that is harder to achieve at a smaller hub (LAX, SLC, SEA, and so on).

To put this into perspective, Delta flew more people on MD-88s alone last year into and out of Atlanta than they flew into / out of SLC period. Atlanta likely has spares available of every aircraft type because they operate so many of each. The math is harder when you are a smaller hub and smaller with smaller and smaller subfleets.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:54 am

I had pointed out that it wouldn't take days to rebook the 25, but only because some people would take a re-route, rented a car, booked on another carrier, or just flat turn around and go home. It would likely be 2 days for all 25 to be accommodated SLC to JAC if they all just waited in SLC for the next available seat. But that is more do to limited off-season flights to JAC from everywhere.

I think a swap would only have been a practical solution if the crew of the original flight would have timed out waiting for the 25 late connections.

Just throwing this out there too...a last minute swap to a bigger plane is going to toss everyone's seat assignments, possibly screw up and upgrades and several other possible issues for existing passengers on the plane that gets up-gauged.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Since we're talking a planned upgauging, the answer in the particular situation you're responding to is that they would operate DCA-SLC with a fresh crew that can operate the following flights without any problem.
That's still an assumption and the impacts of crews elsewhere would have to be factored in. That possibly means a crew that operates SLC-DCA is now "stuck" in DCA and having to dead-head back to SLC or some other station at some point. And as I do not believe DCA is a 757 base or a crew base at all for DL so a crew would possibly have to be dead-headed into DCA from their crew base (which counts against their duty day) to then fly DCA-SLC-JAC-SLC which may still imapct their ability to fly DCA-SLC-JAC-SLC all within a duty day, and also brings in the risk of any delays on their end while being dead-headed in.

I also think it's a safe bet to say that DL makes these decisions with more information available to them at the time and far more historic data than anyone on FT has access or insight too. I guess it's possible, but I highly doubt DL Ops Personnel are reading FT in situations like this and going "Eureka! Look at this genius suggestion from FlyerTalk! Why didn't we think of that!?!?"
Old May 30, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I recently had the opposite happen to me when I get to the gate 8 minutes prior to departure due to a delay, but they already closed the flight and had it leave 5 minutes early. Let's just say that there were at least a half dozen angry people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.