Community
Wiki Posts
Search

just waiting for late plane

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by altabello
I had noted that a delay was "understandable, and no big deal" - so I don't see how that makes me a millennial or snowflake (really, isn't that a good thing if you live in a ski town?). I can function on 5 hours of sleep, but not on 4 (probably could if I was a millennial and substantially younger). There aren't reliable LYFT or UBER services at this airport, and even if there were, an hour + long ride home would be impossible. Parking is under construction, severely limited, and I didn't want to drive over an hour in the middle of the night by myself (lots of wildlife on the road), after traveling all day. Cell phones don't work either between my home and JAC, so my ride had to just wait it out (smart enough, but not pleased, obviously). All those things are really secondary to my actual question of what is an appropriate time to wait for delayed flights? 20 minutes? An hour? Two? Four? All night? Wouldn't the appropriate time to notify pax about the delay be when they decided to wait for the plane(s) causing the delay, rather then after boarding everyone?
Making it worse...
gooselee likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
maybe there’s a better home for this ...
Old May 22, 2019, 6:01 am

​​​​I think the OP is like me. Just be honest Delta. Your customers know you lied to them and it makes them mad. Had you told the OP it was going to be an hour delay he could have planned for it.

I am currently waiting for a flight that Delta clams is leaving in 20 minutes. Not one passenger has actually gotten on the plane. The flight attendants just strolled up (and they were not really in a hurry LOL.). Announcements have been nonexistent and they aren’t updating departure time.

If they are just honest people don’t get as mad
Old May 22, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Syzygies
...I've been on ... one uncommanded roll manuever.
Originally Posted by DCAFly
Wait...what?
I think the thread can be commandeered for this story... @Syzygies, what do you say?
puck021 and kunosoura like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by tvtd
I think the thread can be commandeered for this story... @Syzygies, what do you say?
​​​​​
"Uncommanded roll maneuver" was the term I heard at the time. Early 90's (pre-internet, so not easily verified) they were just figuring out that "heavy aircraft" threw excessive wake turbulence, and hadn't adjusted follow distances. I recall eventually reading that seven planes in that period briefly lost control, one crashing. The wikipedia Incidents involving wake turbulence is more comprehensive than my memory, but only lists actual crashes.

We were landing at SFO when we suddenly pitched over something like 60 degrees (felt like 90). The angle is less important than the impression it created. I was momentarily certain "this is what death looks like." Then we pitched over about as much the other way. I felt immense relief, realizing that the pilot was as concerned as I was. We then landed routinely, and he explained as best he could.

In garden-variety turbulence on the redeye back, every pitch of the plane brought a visceral physical response I couldn't control. I couldn't fly for two years, despite understanding the odds versus other forms of transportation. When I finally flew again, I had the New York Times in front of me as we took off, with an artist's rendition of the first creature to crawl out of the sea onto land. I stared at the drawing, imagining instead its terror.
RoyalFlush, wrp96 and kunosoura like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Syzygies
​​​​​
"Uncommanded roll maneuver" was the term I heard at the time. Early 90's (pre-internet, so not easily verified) they were just figuring out that "heavy aircraft" threw excessive wake turbulence, and hadn't adjusted follow distances. I recall eventually reading that seven planes in that period briefly lost control, one crashing. The wikipedia Incidents involving wake turbulence is more comprehensive than my memory, but only lists actual crashes.

We were landing at SFO when we suddenly pitched over something like 60 degrees (felt like 90). The angle is less important than the impression it created. I was momentarily certain "this is what death looks like." Then we pitched over about as much the other way. I felt immense relief, realizing that the pilot was as concerned as I was. We then landed routinely, and he explained as best he could.

In garden-variety turbulence on the redeye back, every pitch of the plane brought a visceral physical response I couldn't control. I couldn't fly for two years, despite understanding the odds versus other forms of transportation. When I finally flew again, I had the New York Times in front of me as we took off, with an artist's rendition of the first creature to crawl out of the sea onto land. I stared at the drawing, imagining instead its terror.
That sounds utterly terrifying!
Old May 22, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by kipper
For some perspective, I traveled in Thailand with two just-retired pilots who recommended Fate Is the Hunter. Best book ever written on flying, every pilot has read it, puts our modern inconveniences (including this thread) in perspective.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
I don't even know what to say. Utterly terrifying seems like an understatement. Thank you for sharing that story.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Wow, what a horrible landing that must have been, and thanks for sharing. Since I thankfully have no point of reference, it sounds like that scene in Top Gun when Maverick flies thru Iceman's jetwash and loses his engines.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
How could you not notify your ride? I thought Delta offered inflight texting?
Old May 22, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
How could you not notify your ride? I thought Delta offered inflight texting?
Depends on whether the "ride" can check texts. If the ride is coming from as far away as the duration of the flight (say, the ride has to drive 1.5 hours to the airport and the flight is also 1.5 hours), the person picking up OP may be driving and thus not checking any text updates while driving on the way to the airport once they actually leave, especially if they have their phone in "Do Not Disturb" mode while driving. .
Old May 22, 2019, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Depends on whether the "ride" can check texts. If the ride is coming from as far away as the duration of the flight (say, the ride has to drive 1.5 hours to the airport and the flight is also 1.5 hours), the person picking up OP may be driving and thus not checking any text updates while driving on the way to the airport once they actually leave, especially if they have their phone in "Do Not Disturb" mode while driving. .
If I'm driving to pick up someone, knowing they are coming in on a flight, if I get a text, I will stop to check on it.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
Upgauge it with what? With JAC's runway length, altitude, and the fact it is summer (warmer temps), the only thing they could reliably upgauge to is a 757. They don't have a lot of extra ones of those lying around SLC. Maybe given the short flight distance they could manage a 738 or A320 as it should have a low take-off weight.
You just answered your own question. You have 3 different planes they could use, all of which are regularly used at SLC.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
If I'm driving to pick up someone, knowing they are coming in on a flight, if I get a text, I will stop to check on it.
OP said upthread that there is no cell service between hometown and the airport.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
You just answered your own question. You have 3 different planes they could use, all of which are regularly used at SLC.
Regularly used... to operate flights to other destinations. So which ripple effects into tomorrow's flights do you want to deal with? None of this happens in isolation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.