Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A tale of crazy passengers on a Delta RJ

A tale of crazy passengers on a Delta RJ

Old May 21, 2019, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Well, that was crazy. Congrats on not over-reacting which would have been the normal reaction.

So how did the rest of the fight err flight go?
No one bothered me further. I got off the plane and made a very brisk walk from B8 to the airport curb and went home. I texted with my dad as I walked (also a PM and a longtime FF) and he encouraged me just to just get home, which was enough confirmation for me to just get out of the airport and move on.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Wow. I can't imagine that my automatic reaction would have been anything other than violent. I have a thing about my neck.
angra and rickg523 like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
No one bothered me further. I got off the plane and made a very brisk walk from B8 to the airport curb and went home. I texted with my dad as I walked (also a PM and a longtime FF) and he encouraged me just to just get home, which was enough confirmation for me to just get out of the airport and move on.
OK, so here is a serious suggestion. Write Delta (maybe a paper letter and not through the web) with a description of the incident. Emphasize that you recognize that this was in no way, shape, or form the fault of Delta and that you are not looking for any compensation or action from Delta. But that you would like a recommendation from Delta on what you should have done. That would be interesting IMO.

David
olegator, jdrtravel, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:18 pm

This is truly unimportant but fyi - assault is the threat of bodily harm, battery is when someone actually puts their hands on you. This was incident was battery
jrkmsp likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by enviroian
Game over, full stop.

After this bozo did this the flight attendant button above my head would have been depressed in two microseconds followed by telling a flight attendant I have just been assaulted and please instruct a LEO to meet us upon arrival at Minneapolis.
This. Absolutely.

"and I am not going back to that seat, so feel free to talk to the captain to figure out what he wants to do"
Old May 22, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by pfreet
This is truly unimportant but fyi - assault is the threat of bodily harm, battery is when someone actually puts their hands on you. This was incident was battery
It depends on the jurisdiction actually. California considers a swing and a miss as an assault/attempted battery. Here in Arizona, contact, however slight is considered assault. We don't really have battery as a separate charge/crime as far as I know. Hands around the neck and choking can be considered aggravated assault or aggravated battery in many jurisdictions btw.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I can understand the impulse towards a violent reaction to this. At the same time, I think that OP's measured response probably helped to prevent the situation escalating.
wrp96, rickg523 and hi55us like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I can understand the impulse towards a violent reaction to this. At the same time, I think that OP's measured response probably helped to prevent the situation escalating.
It absolutely did help, and yet I am not at all sure that I could have pulled it off. Once someone has their hands around my throat, survival instinct kicks in. This is a potentially deadly situation for the atackee.
rickg523 likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
OP was there and made a decision about how to react, given the seatmate's convo, age, the degree of laying of hands upon him, so I can't second guess it. While it definitely was assault, if OP wasn't in any real fear, and the primary goal was to get home to say goodnight, it appears the measured response carried the day. I would consider notifying DL about this individual and his behavior, however, just to have it recorded and to give them notice about the passenger.
angra, wrp96 and DeepUnderground like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.