How early can I check a bag?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 7:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
How early can I check a bag?

So I have the following scenario

Flying out of ATL at 9 AM and returning at 6 PM (Not checking luggage)
Flying out of ATL again at 8 PM (need to check luggage)

So I dont have to leave the secured area, walk to my car, and then check the bag after I return at 6 my question is this, how early can I check luggage in ATL for the 8 PM flight? i.e. could I check it at lets say 7 or 8 AM for the 8 PM flight?
Old May 20, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
I don't know, but if you can't check it in that early, I would bring the luggage and then check it through on your return flight to ATL.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Most times the earliest you can check bags is four hours before the flight.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by rubesl
Most times the earliest you can check bags is four hours before the flight.
I’ve heard six hours, but it must be on the same calendar day.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
So, could the OP not check his bag in on departure of the day flight in the morning, but tell them to through check it on to the second ticket destination?

What would legally (per DL rules) preclude this? DL does allow you to check to the destination of a second ticket if on DL and some partners.

And in practice, would they even really notice (that you were coming back to ATL), vs just see the second ticket was on DL and tag it to destination B?
Old May 20, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by exwannabe
So, could the OP not check his bag in on departure of the day flight in the morning, but tell them to through check it on to the second ticket destination?
I would guess that it's two separate tickets and not a second destination, as OP is returning to ATL. The four hour rule is for non-hubs, so I'd guess the rule is 6, but I would also bet that if OP checks the luggage in the morning to the second destination on the second ticket, it would be fine. It's same day at ATL, which should present no problems.

Or, he could take it with him and check it back to ATL at the first destination before he leaves the airport, pick it up at Hartsfield on landing and check it again to the second destination. That might be faster than walking back to the car to retrieve it. Now, if there were delays, that could be a monkey wrench.

Check it at ATL at 8am for the 8pm flight. There was recently a Miami pax who checked his bag at 5am for a 2:30pm flight.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris
So I have the following scenario

Flying out of ATL at 9 AM and returning at 6 PM (Not checking luggage)
Flying out of ATL again at 8 PM (need to check luggage)

So I dont have to leave the secured area, walk to my car, and then check the bag after I return at 6 my question is this, how early can I check luggage in ATL for the 8 PM flight? i.e. could I check it at lets say 7 or 8 AM for the 8 PM flight?
What did the DM line say?
Old May 20, 2019, 11:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OHDL1
What did the DM line say?
I did not bother calling them, I get better advice/responses from here then the DM line.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Ah, found the thread with the guy at MIA:
How early can you drop bags for a domestic flight?

I would hazard that if you brought the bag to destination one, you could check it there all the way to destination two, without retrieving it at ATL. But if you can check it at ATL to destination two in the morning, that would be great.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I guess the worst case is I can show up and attempt to check it in and if they do not let me put it back in the car and check it when i get back to ATL for flight two.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL PM
You could try checking your bag curbside for your second flight early in the morning. A while ago, I arrived in FLL way too early. At the counter they wouldn't let me check the bag so early, but the skycap gladly took my bag. Just something to try....
Old May 20, 2019, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've never had reason to verify this, but I've heard that a bag can't fly through the same airport twice in one day, at least on the same claim check. It might be a rule for some carriers other than DL If it's true, then OP wouldn't be able to check the bag through across both tickets at ATL in the morning.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: M&M Senator, IHG Spire Elite
I was doing the same last month when flying within one day Bogota-Medellin-Bogota-Cartagena and asked if it is possible to check in luggage only for last flight to be environment friendly. With Avianca it was not a problem. Checking in done early morning for flight late evening.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:14 pm

As of a few months ago, it was four hours firm in Atlanta. Oh I tried!
Old May 20, 2019, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Shouldn't be an issue. You could also check it in when you go to fly back to ATL. It doesn't have to be done at ATL as DL will check across tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.