Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta changed my return flight for the 4 or 5 time now, but now I may miss my flights

Delta changed my return flight for the 4 or 5 time now, but now I may miss my flights

Old May 19, 2019, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

I ordered 4 round trip ticket with Delta from Baltimore to Munich Germany via Detroit. On the return flight the flight from Munich lands in Detroit at 2:06pm, the next flight from Detroit to Baltimore was scheduled at 5:45pm. Now Delta has put me on a flight at 3:40pm, over two hours earlier. I booked with the longer time in between flights on purpose so there was little chance of missing the flight in case of delays.

The question is, when I arrive in Detroit from Munich, do I have to collect my luggage and clear customs and immigration before I get to on the next flight to Baltimore or will my luggage be automatically transferred? If that is the case than I may not make my next flight at 3:40pm.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do?

thanks,
Tom
Old May 19, 2019, 7:01 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
You’ll have to claim your bags and clear customs with them. Then recheck them, clear security, and go to your flight.

It is (in my opinion) likely that you could call in and get a different flight due to the change of a couple hours. As usual pick out a new itinerary to suggest before calling.
Exiled in Express and boss315 like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will claim and re-check luggage, but it's an easy transfer at DTW as everything is in the same terminal. It's a legal connection and not really all that tight. There's a 5:40PM flight (weekdays/Sunday, 8:55PM Saturday). Worst case if you miss your flight (which is unlikely), they will just put you on a later flight. There's also a 10:45PM flight on weekdays/Sunday, plus DCA/IAD options. With all the backup options, your existing connection is perfectly reasonable.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP has a tight but legal connection at DTW.

At DTW, you first do immigration, then pick up your checked bags and walk them through customs. After exiting the customs area, staff will take your checked bags (they should be checked through and tagged for BWI) and then you go through TSA airport security before heading to the gate for your next flight.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

the 5:40pm flight is the one I had and it was cancelled.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

So you think this is doable? land 2:06pm if no delay deplane - wait for baggage - clear immigration - clear customs - check baggage again and be boarding the next plane at 3:10 ? all of that in approx 1 hour?
Old May 19, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by tomzphone
So you think this is doable? land 2:06pm if no delay deplane - wait for baggage - clear immigration - clear customs - check baggage again and be boarding the next plane at 3:10 ? all of that in approx 1 hour?
If you feel uncomfortable with the connection, DL swill give you a schedule change with little issue, including partner flights if this was a cash ticket. If these were award tickets DL can at least open space on any DL flight that they need to as well. You could opt for a later DTW-BWI flight or ask to be routed via a different hub even. You may even be able to ask to be rerouted into DCA or IAD, if that’s a better schedule/more comfortable connection and/or an equally (or better) destination for you over BWI.

Research options ahead of time and call DL and give your requested change to the agent.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the 5:40pm flight is the one I had and it was cancelled.
If this is the first week of September, there is an 8:50PM flight instead of the 5:40. If you miss your flight, they will put you on that one at no charge. If you have them rebook you on that flight now, you will likely be stuck waiting an extra 5 hours in DTW when there is really no need to.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are not there right at boarding start, they will not offload you. DTW is pretty straightforward to connect at and there are likely hundreds of people who make such connections everyday. Having checked baggage will likely introduce some additional delay. But on the plus side, DTW-BWI is all mainline so you don't need to worry about going through the tunnel to concourse B/C and your connection will be entirely in concourse A. I guess the only other issue that might be a factor is if you have health/mobility issues. If not, I'd probably stick with your current flights and familiarize yourself with DTW layout and check your departure gate on your mobile when you land (if it's from the end gates, you should probably consider using the tram).

Last edited by xliioper; May 19, 2019 at 9:15 pm
Old May 19, 2019, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it wasn’t doable by the vast majority of travelers, DL would not allow anyone to book it. But that length connection, specifically from international to domestic, is “legal” at DTW.
Also keep in mind that (1) “check baggage again” means drop it off at a special counter. It will already be tagged through to Baltimore. It will take one minute. And (2) you clear immigration before waiting for your bags, so if there is a line at passport control, chances are the bags will already be waiting for you on the carousel. And (3) Clearing customs takes practically zero time, unless you get stopped or have goods to declare.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
As others have said, it's a quick transfer. If you have Clear or even just Pre-check and there is a long line at the 2-lane non-Clear, non-pre-check security in the sterile area after you're re-checked your bag, exit the sterile area to go landside as if you were a DTW-bound pax and go up the stairs to the next floor to clear security as if you're not a transit pax. I'd stick with your itinerary, you should be fine and if you're not they'll rebook you.
moondog likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:17 am

I recently landed in SEA from FRA along with a couple of other international flights so the lines were long, I had Mobile Passport on my phone and they were telling people with Global Entry or MP to go to the front of the line. It was great, my bag happened to be near the last to arrive on the carousel, so still waited a bit. I noted that the carousal was 3-4 bags deep,so even though my bag was near last, there were a LOT of bags meaning those people were still in lines to clear customs.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:06 am

If you have global entry, Clear, carry-on luggage only and know your way around DTW, it is very doable.

If you do not, you are right to be uncomfortable with this connection.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Turning this around, if OP misconnects, DL will rebook onto the next flight. This could also include DCA as a backup (although unclear that this is realistic for OP).

Whether this connection will work comes down to variables having to do with delays to the inbound on the day of flight. If OP is uncomfortable with the current connection, he should call DL now and ask to be moved to the later flight.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
This all comes down to risk/reward. As others have said, Delta will gladly rebook you if you're not comfortable. You have 1:19 minutes until the DTW-BWI door closes (15 minutes before departure), that's plenty of time for most travelers under most conditions. And if there's a weather event, with a delayed arrival, odds are the connecting flight would be delayed as well. I'm just making up numbers, but:

95% chance you make the connection
3% chance you miss the connection and are rebooked on the same later flight to BWI you are considering changing to now
2% chance you miss the connection and the later flight to BWI is full so you are further delayed

If you change to the later flight you'll guarantee a very long layover, and there is only a very small chance this will actually save you time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.